E46 Fanatics Forum banner

AVIC-F90BT||Double Din Install~Lots of Pics

89K views 81 replies 44 participants last post by  SalM 
#1 · (Edited)
First off I would like to say that at this point in time this retrofit is in no way "Plug and Play" or "Simple" even with the aid or retrofit kits and wiring harnesses.

This install is not for those who are afraid of cutting into their BMWs, dealing with lots of wires, or doing a lot of customizing to get everything to fit right.

That being said, let's move on to what everyone wants to see. As I go through the pics I will try to make it as "DIY" as I can. I will definitely point out what's important and/or tips and trick I found out along the way.

Parts Cost: < $1000
Labor: 23 Hrs

Components:

Avic-F90BT

GEX-P10HD

HVAC Relocation, Antenna Adaptor, R17 Wiring Harness, HD Radio Box

PAC SWI-PS

Janus Kit w/ Bezel

Now to the install:

Removed Trim

Removed Radio

Removed Center Vents (Damn they were in there tight!)

AC Controls pop right out

Taking out shift boot and removing trim

Removed remainder of center console and Air Box cover

Shot of condenser and servo arm

Footwell duct hole

Valve that needs to be modified

After hours of cutting and test fitting, because I had no template

Modified Servo Arm (Cut ~3.5 cm from tip)

Test fitting servo arm

Modified the Valve

Smaller half has to be glued in

Videos of valve and arm functioning correctly

And finally the box fits (Just to this point took about 8 hrs)

Applied insulating foam to reseal the majority of the air box (Note: you have to cut a new hole for the AC Temp sensor as you will have to cut the old hole out)

Box installed (Top screws have to be done with a small 90 degree drill)

Temp sensor install and starting to aluminum tape the holes

Ended aluminum taping the whole box

Test fitting carrier, it sort of fit. Major interference with bezel

Had to remove the material protruding out the front

Had to shave the back of the bezel to get it to fit right

See less See more
#72 · (Edited)
getting everything to fit correctly was the hardest part. i have to take it out one more time and make everything perfect. and i think my SWIPS install was bad because i cut the wire at the wrong place, so i will update that when i try again. just make sure you have a lot of time

hey lowrider, did you plug the units ground wire into the wiring harness as well? or did you ground that to the car with the mute/parking brake? just wondering if it matters. for some reason my parking brake hack isnt working right...and i drilled it into the same bar that you did

#76 ·
so i noticed the other day that the bezel underneath my headunit as well as the car dash itself gets hot and cold with my A/C settings. does that mean theres a leak in my hvac or does that always happen and i just never noticed it? pretty sure i sealed it up all the way..

#79 ·
I am looking to put a reversing camera on my 323 Alpina spec 2000 model, that has hk sound system and tv monitor/satnav.Do you know if this is a simple job.I have purchased a license plate camera that replaces the plate light as it looks ok and simpler to install. do I connect to tv monitor or tv module in the boot.

#80 ·
wow... crazy install... im gonna put in a z110bt in my 330 but im gonna have the "pros" do it... i dont have the guts, or the tools to do the install myself...

what did you use to glue the modified valve? and how is it holding up with the heater/heat ? i was told that there was a problem with something "melting" or "not being able to "hold together" when the heater is used. thanks .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.