E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Need help on iPod kit...

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tom @ eas 
#1 ·
I just got a 2004 ZHP Sedan and I want to hook up my car for iPod capability. If I get the OEM iPod vs the DICE, what are the differences? Will both display on my radio unit the names of songs? The main concern I have with the OEM is that I would have to stick my iPhone in the glove box which would be annoying since it's my phone. Plus, I would prefer to use my iPhone to select songs since the interface is much quicker on the phone. So would it just make more sense to use the DICE and get a mount for my phone? I would love something cleaner than a visible mount. For instance, if I could have a AUX jack placed in the sunglasses compartment under my radio and then just stick the iphone in there. That way I could just pull the phone out when I need to use it and also to change my music. Anyone got any suggestions?

#2 ·
The OEM unit is more expensive and has fewer features. the DICE module should allow you to control via your iphone. I bought a USA spec module having not known of the DICE yet, and it basically emulates the BMW unit.

a few other points. since the ipod classic came out, all new model ipods(including iphone) with new software version don't work quite the same. example, i can't get text on the display when i have it set to ipod control. i can get text when im on hU control, but the ipod controls are then locked. the hybrid mode that allows you to control both wont work on the new ipods. i'm not 100% but i believe the DICE unit has the same issues. i bought an older ipod video off a friend and use that so i can use the ipods controls and still get text and use the HU controls.

if you personally install any unit you should be able to put the ipod wherever you want, your not limited to the glove box, i have mine in the sunglass tray, its a great spot for it, very accessible. installation was very easy. there are many helpful DIY on this forum.

another point, controlling using the iphone while driving is tricky and dangerous. i don't like it at all. i know it may not seem much different, but i have much easier time controlling my normal ipod while driving than my iphone, the difference is significant.

lastly, im not sure if the new cables are out yet, but the iphone wont charge with any unit i know of. this is important because every time you plug it in or change a song with the steering wheel controls or deck controls, the iphone lights up with a message saying "this accessory was not made to work with iphone. do you want to turn on airplane mode?" its extremely annoying. it comes up ALL THE TIME.

#3 ·
I have the dice and I routed my Iphone cable to my sunglass holder ... sounds exactly like what you want... You can control your music either the car controls or from the iphone but not both at the same time. Ill post some pics this weekend!

fyi: the 3G cables are out for dice

#4 ·
BMW iPod kit:

- no current (USB) iPod/iPhone charging support
- limited to 5 playlists
- no text display
- Clickwheel is locked while in use

The DICE Silverline Pro will give you all these features back, and support charging for the entire iPod/iPhone lineup.

More info can be found here:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1621

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.