E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Kalim's Garage Adventures

Tags
epic
130K views 731 replies 71 participants last post by  Bandit4077 
#1 ·
Well, this thread has been a long time coming. Thanks to some encouragement from one of General's most prolific posters (dmax), I've finally gotten around to documenting some of what goes on in my very happening garage.

There's a long story behind how I arrived at this point, but briefly, I've wanted a garage of my own for a very long time and living in apartment complexes since I graduated from college made that pretty tough. I found "workarounds," e.g., detailing my E46 into the wee hours of the morning in the underground garage, using extension cords dropped down 5 flights of stairs and a garden hose attached to an overlooked hookup (score!), or swapping my E30's engine in a carport with a floor jack, hoist, some jackstands, and a set of hand tools, but I was never really able to take on big projects. Recently, I moved to a house with a detached 2-car garage and I have found bliss! Most weekends (and many weeknights after work, too!) are spent in the garage with any number of the local fanatics working on installs and repairs. So I decided to create this thread to document the DIY maintenance and modding that goes on around here.

Just to name a few things that I've worked on in recent months:
-E46 330i GC coilover installation
-E30 325i front wheel bearings (once for a friend, once for my own car)
-E46 M3 CSL style front bumper installation
-E46 M3 CSL style trunk installation
-E46 323ci M3 steering wheel installation (a few times)
-E46 330ci shark injector
-E30 325i fuel injector o-ring replacement
-E30 325i fuel filter replacement
-E46 330ci Powerflex FCABs

And today, finished up PSS10s on a friend's E90:

This installation was a lot more complicated than previous generations, but we came up with a few tricks that made things go faster the second time around. OEM springs are huge.

Had to keep it a little conservative because they rub like crazy front and rear, but we got a decent drop out of them.

Business card flush, haha. :str8pimpi

Hoping to have some nice pics of the new stance after a good detail.

Anyway, I'll try to update this thread often. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions about any of the above! I don't bite (usually). >:]

See less See more
#637 ·
Very busy day of work on an LCI E90 328i today:
-Retrofitted sport steering wheel with paddle shifters
-Installed wireless transmitters for a backup camera
-Tried replacing side mirror housings with M3-style CF housings, but found out they're only for pre-LCI cars. :/
-Removed wheel spacers and replaced 90mm wheel studs with 75mm studs

The owner had also reported that the car had recently started pulling left on hard braking. I discovered that the rear wheel carrier wasn't being located correctly by the track strut, which was causing the rear wheel to toe out. Apparently the bolt had backed out because the threads in the wheel carrier were stripped out during a suspension installation. Time-sert kit is on the way.

#639 ·
Sunday was another full day of garagewerke. I was back at it on Rick's 323ci refreshing all sorts of things that are broken:
-Drilled out and replaced the passenger door card speaker grille
-Replaced missing plastic rivets and stripped torx screws in both front door cards
-Replaced a missing bump stop for the trunk lid
-Adjusted both trunk lid stops and the trunk lid lock latch (sometimes the electric release would double tap because the lid wouldn't pop up enough to release)
-Installed new trunk lid liner expanding rivets
-Adjusted door handles to open with less effort
-Raised rear suspension
-Replaced missing side skirt expanding rivets

It looks like the power steering pump will also need replacement along with the high pressure hose.

#640 · (Edited)
Finally installed the Time-sert in the E90 that was here over the weekend (as above). The repair is nice and solid and saved the owner from having to replace the entire rear wheel carrier. :)

#646 ·
Hey :hi:
For me it's reading, more reading, and doing.

I think you can accomplish a lot if you take what you read, add reasoning and intuition, and apply what you've learned.
Technical schools like UTI would build a good foundation. Having a mentor would be even better.

#649 ·
:rofl:

+1 People ask me how the hell I managed to do some many things to my car myself. Just read the guides this and other BMW forums have and youtube vids. Get a good set of tools and you're good to go. Patience and paying attention is KEY
Agreed.

#650 ·
Just reflashed the SMG3 EGS on an E60 M5 with the Euro software earlier this evening.

Legitimate launch control = :excited: :burnout:

#657 ·
Keep forgetting and when I do remember, my hands are too dirty to handle the camera.
I need a garage photographer, lol.

#671 ·
The part that's broken isn't sold individually from the dealer, AFAIK. You can order a replacement that's coded to your car with VIN and proof of ownership. Easy replacement.

There is a repair kit sold on ebay, but I haven't tried it. $20 vs. $100.

#674 ·
Looks like the right kit.

#678 ·
Latest updates...

Three weekends ago, I took care of some more maintenance on Rick's car:

-Started off with the fuel filter and replaced the soft hose sections which were starting to dry rot
-Changed the spark plugs
-Replaced the automatic radiator with a manual version (left over from the 5spd swap) and bled the cooling system

-Next day, changed the coolant temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose since it was leaking. I've seen many cars with the exact same problem this winter season.
-Replaced the power steering pump and the high pressure hose. The hose was leaking and the pump had been damaged. Refilled and bled the system.

Two weekends ago:
-Replaced leaking power steering hoses from the reservoir and o-rings on an E39.
-Also spent some time diagnosing a cold idle dip on that car.
Later that day:
-Changed the oil on Rick's car
-Changed the diff oil
-Replaced the two lower main bolts that hold the transmission on

Last week:
-Reflashed an E90 335i with Alpina transmission software. What a difference!
-Worked on Derek's subframe to prep for the M3 LSD swap

Last weekend, finished up Rick's car:
-Lubricated the throttle cable
-Installed some PIAA horns with a very nice sound. (OEM horns were missing.)
-Removed the gauge rings from the instrument cluster
Also worked on that race couch above. :)

This week:
-Flashed an E92 335i with the Alpina transmission software. It's really gaining popularity.
-Worked some more on Derek's M3 LSD swap. Got the brakes off and removed the e-brake cables since we'll be reusing his 330 ones which are in better shape.

Oh and Nathan (wh33lhop) has been over quite a bit trying to get his Metric Mechanic LSD and rear wheel bearings sorted so we've spent some time under his car, too. Haha.

Dru (DrusC5s) also dropped by:

Pics courtesy of Kyle (323ci newbie)!

#679 ·
Today, I left my comfort zone a bit and helped Jimmy (jimmymoo) replace the accessory belts in his beater, an Infiniti QX4. It's interesting how they used a combination of ribbed and v-belts on this particular motor. The tensioning mechanism for the v-belt is very similar to the one used on E30s, but the design is much more durable and accurate, if a bit more time consuming.

Rick also stopped by to pick his car up today. :woot:

#694 ·
you and I really need to meet. You know, you and I are not so different. the only main difference is it seems you prefer the physical modifications, where as I prefer the digital. although I know you have the software access side too, you no doubt have much more experience on the tangible side.

plus we've met local bmw enthusiasts that know the both of us yet we've never met. I'll try and make it to one of the bay meets this summer, one where you don't end up showing up so late. Or... I forgot if you ever made it to that one san bruno one. oh well, looking forward to seeing your car.

#695 ·
Sure, hope to see you at a meet. :hi:

#697 ·
yeah, and i get to get away with it because my name already labels me as a newb. calling me a newb only means calling me by my name. sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.