E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Car Kracker

59K views 273 replies 36 participants last post by  Thaniel 
#1 ·
Hey guys check this thing out on instructables http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-Your-Car/. It adds some pretty cool features to our cars and the article says that you can build it from a kit or a schematic. It looks pretty interesting.

#79 ·
So you're saying that every OE component on iBus has some sort of learning mechanism and will eventually ignore commands that aren't coming from an OE device?

It must take a really long time cuz my DICE has been sending and receiving iBus commands from the head unit for about six years now.

William.

#85 ·
Can someone plug one of these into a scrap BMW, and smack the air bag sensor when the data logger is enabled!? :D

#87 ·
Update: today I ripped apart my trunk for yet again another attempt at cd changer emulation on my 2006 MKIV. It did not work as of yet.

On the other hand, I updated my firmware and kustomizer and was able to control functions in my vehicle for example fog lights, tail lamps and wheel controls. A huge leap from where I was before. I have noticed some bugs for example, if I test any lighting feature, my speakers will crank up louder. I attempted reading live bus data from kustomizer with a 100% success.

I haven't been able to use pa soft or nav coder with kracker yet (possibly because I've connected through the trunk.

Suggestions:
1. Work on the changer emulation for MKIV navs as soon as possible!!!
2. Have kustomizer tell you what mode you're currently in.

#88 ·
@CSL - I'm adding more debugging on the next release, so we can see what's keeping the MKIV from picking up the CD changer. LED's will be handled in a separate process to improve notification.

As for navcoder, I use it all the time - just set your Kracker to diagnostic mode. When you open Navcoder, select the Com port the Kracker is on. I've used it from the ibus (trunk) and OBDC.

#90 ·
@CSL - I'm adding more debugging on the next release, so we can see what's keeping the MKIV from picking up the CD changer. LED's will be handled in a separate process to improve notification.

As for navcoder, I use it all the time - just set your Kracker to diagnostic mode. When you open Navcoder, select the Com port the Kracker is on. I've used it from the ibus (trunk) and OBDC.
Would love to have this working by next week if possible! Getting tired of burning so many CDs and tearing apart my trunk everyday so I might wait it out 'till it's confirmed we have a relation between the Kracker and MKIV unit.

As for diagnostic mode, I tried booting up the Kracker with P6 held down, and after a small time of holding it, P6 and P5 (I think) light up blue. I would imagine that this means DIAGNOSTIC MODE but when I do a scan on my MKIV, it returns saying that every unit is unresponsive even with ignition on.

I'm using COM3 at the moment and have set them to that. On NAVCODER I found it strange how it would say sleep until I refreshed in which it'd say idle.

It was really satisfying being able to turn up my radio from the trunk though :lmao:

#94 ·
@CSL323 - I'm glad you got yours mostly working :thumbsup:

I'm still playing around trying to get it all figured out. I think my codes are slightly different as I have a convertible. The trunkOpen command doesn't work at all, possibly something to do with the check to make sure the top is fully up or down, And the windowOpen or windowClose will only move the window half way and you have to send the command again to move the rest of the way.

Plus I need to figure out the commands for the top open / close.

Has anyone tried deciphering the live bus data? I can post some if needed.

William.

#96 ·
Question about MP3 support?

Some of the amps may have an Aux input in them in the trunk, is is possible to output MP3 from the unit to the Aux input in the trunk and control the unit via Bluetooth?

If the amp cannot support it, I assume you could run a wire from the trunk to the Aux input on the head unit?

Just tossing an idea up, not sure if this has been fully covered or considered?

#98 ·
So how close are you with remote unlocking? I can see a lot of these being sold pro actively and on the spot for people that have dead keyfobs and are locked out of the car with a broken drivers door lock linkage.

If you could pop the trunk on a lockout and connect to the iBus and use your laptop or phone to unlock the car, you will have a lot of sales!

#114 ·
Ooo and I forgot one thing to suggest... As a general indicator, could you implement something on the software that would tell us whether or not an SD card is present on the board? Would remove the guess work of whether the SD card slot is soldered on properly. Another great feature would be using the Kracker as a USB mass storage device at a later release :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.