E46 Fanatics Forum banner

All Steptronic owners, just curious...

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  epfenninger 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I have a 325xi with steptronic and something I have always noticed is that if I'm at around 4k rpms or 4.5k and go over any little bump, ie manhole it shifts to the next gear. Everytime, never hesitates to do it, not that I really care, I'm just wondering if you guys are the same way or if it is just me

#4 ·
It's possible that you lose traction for a fraction of a second (I have a pot hole not far from my house that does this to my car) and you're car thinks it's slipping and drops the power by shifting. My car is stick and doesn't do this, but when I hit that pothole, my DSC lights up very briefly.

Although I doubt that you lose traction every time you hit a bump, it's just a thought.

#7 ·
By the way I was playing with steptronic to see how good it was, I went up to 6k rpms and took my foot off the gas and it did not shift, which I find very impressive. I drove a 2013 Honda accord with paddle shifters and it shifted after 3k and would not let you go back down

#12 ·
Ahhhh ok, that's what I'm thinking, it's hits hard so it shifts, I just got the car and it has 180k, I think it may be time to refresh the suspension soon, just don't really have the money right now. I guess do that as well as the trans mounts and motor mounts see how it goes. I'll buy new motor mounts and trans mount see how that goes

#11 ·
Keep the BS posts out of this forum. OP has a problem with his car so just give replies that will help him solve them. Enough with the bickering...

OP, I have a step so don't worry. What I would do is just check out your DISA if you can. It opens up at 4k so maybe it's doing something to the car. Any help works.

#17 ·
Sounds like the transmission is getting bumped pretty hard when you go over the bumps. I would look at a suspension refresh along with trans and motor mounts.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That's what I was afraid of, i don't have the money for a suspension refresh currently since I'm in college, I also don't use it much since I'm in college, but I'll get on the motor and trans mounts. See if that makes a difference, thanks for the help

#19 ·
That's what I was afraid of, i don't have the money for a suspension refresh currently since I'm in college, I also don't use it much since I'm in college, but I'll get on the motor and trans mounts. See if that makes a difference, thanks for the help
Eat pasta for a few months lol.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.