E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Socal General Chat

27M views 244K replies 611 participants last post by  Bali 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Version 2.0 of the Socal General Chat thread. Enjoy!

The E46Fanatics Team

#161,981 ·
I've been boarding for like 15 years and the only time i have really hurt myself was at Snow Summit...... ice plus boarding is not a good combo....
Yeah it was like an ice skating ring that day. First year boarding... racing down eastside first run of the day = bad idea. I got to cocky and was definitely put back in line after that.

Any tips on flat basing? I'm trying to get faster my fastest run so far was 52mph at mammoth but I was like brake checking like crazy. My friends highest speed was 89 last year on the dragon's back at mammoth. It still freaks me out to go fast. I always think i'm gonna catch a front edge again...

#161,984 ·
Saw this on snowboardingforum a while ago, instead me typing out a whole bunch of stuff, I will just paste this here

Except for limited situations, you really do not want to get in the habit of riding flat based for long distances. The age old debate about whether you get more glide on edge or flat based has been going on unsolved for years and will still be going on long after we are all worm food. I think this depends on the snow conditions and the condition on the board`s base. In we, sticky, spring snow, riding on edge gives much better glide than riding flat based. On ice, flat based seems to be the better choice. Cold dry snow can go either way depending on the wax condition. Regardless, flat based riding really requires more work that it is worth in my book.

lets break this down into borad performance concepts:

PIVOT:
For flat based riding this one is key. Since you don`t want to edge, you really can`t turn. The only way to keep your board straight and aligned with your trajectory is to pivot it. Unwanted pivot on a flat based board is a wicked edge catch waiting to happen. The idea here is to ride as if your are doing a 50/50 down a box. Keep hips, shoulders and head aligned with your trajectory and the board will follow. Rotate out of this state at all and the board will pivot.

TILT
Again, if you goal is to remain truly flat based, you don`t want any tilt of the board for that engages the edge and side cut, causing a drift or turn one way or the other. To prevent tilt, you must keep your body centered over your board without leaning over either edge.

PRESSURE:
Just like tilt, pressure will cause the edge to engage and create drift or turn. When you want to ride truly flat based, you need to ensure that your feet are sitting on your board totally neutral without any pressure differences on heels or toes.

TWIST
As with tilt and pressure, torsional twist, even slight, will change the shape of the board`s base and create turning forces. With enough twist, the edge will engage and create a turn. When riding flat based, you must keep your feet neutral and not allow any heel or toe pressure to twist the board.

While not specifically a board performance concept, let`s talk about how your weight is positioned on the board.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
We all know that the heavy end of the board goes down the hill or across the flats first and fastest. If you do not have your weight shifted forward, the rear of the board is heavier and wants to pass the nose. It`s the same principle that causes a tractor trailer to jack knife on an icy highway when the brakes are applied hard. The trailer is heavier than the tractor ans whips around. Your board will react the same unless the front is always heavier than the tail.

#161,987 ·
Saw this on snowboardingforum a while ago, instead me typing out a whole bunch of stuff, I will just paste this here

Except for limited situations, you really do not want to get in the habit of riding flat based for long distances. The age old debate about whether you get more glide on edge or flat based has been going on unsolved for years and will still be going on long after we are all worm food. I think this depends on the snow conditions and the condition on the board`s base. In we, sticky, spring snow, riding on edge gives much better glide than riding flat based. On ice, flat based seems to be the better choice. Cold dry snow can go either way depending on the wax condition. Regardless, flat based riding really requires more work that it is worth in my book.

lets break this down into borad performance concepts:

PIVOT:
For flat based riding this one is key. Since you don`t want to edge, you really can`t turn. The only way to keep your board straight and aligned with your trajectory is to pivot it. Unwanted pivot on a flat based board is a wicked edge catch waiting to happen. The idea here is to ride as if your are doing a 50/50 down a box. Keep hips, shoulders and head aligned with your trajectory and the board will follow. Rotate out of this state at all and the board will pivot.

TILT
Again, if you goal is to remain truly flat based, you don`t want any tilt of the board for that engages the edge and side cut, causing a drift or turn one way or the other. To prevent tilt, you must keep your body centered over your board without leaning over either edge.

PRESSURE:
Just like tilt, pressure will cause the edge to engage and create drift or turn. When you want to ride truly flat based, you need to ensure that your feet are sitting on your board totally neutral without any pressure differences on heels or toes.

TWIST
As with tilt and pressure, torsional twist, even slight, will change the shape of the board`s base and create turning forces. With enough twist, the edge will engage and create a turn. When riding flat based, you must keep your feet neutral and not allow any heel or toe pressure to twist the board.

While not specifically a board performance concept, let`s talk about how your weight is positioned on the board.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
We all know that the heavy end of the board goes down the hill or across the flats first and fastest. If you do not have your weight shifted forward, the rear of the board is heavier and wants to pass the nose. It`s the same principle that causes a tractor trailer to jack knife on an icy highway when the brakes are applied hard. The trailer is heavier than the tractor ans whips around. Your board will react the same unless the front is always heavier than the tail.
Good read. :bow:

I try to do most of those things already I guess it's more about the fine tuning of my movements and getting more confidence.

#161,989 ·
Good read. :bow:

I try to do most of those things already I guess it's more about the fine tuning of my movements and getting more confidence.
Yeah, it is pretty spot on. If I start getting to fast, I tend to lean back a bit on my back leg, keep my shoulders and head straight and square with knees bent, but can still stay flat and not catch an edge.....

but things can change in a spit second if you don't stay focused.

#161,990 ·
Yeah, it is pretty spot on. If I start getting to fast, I tend to lean back a bit on my back leg, keep my shoulders and head straight and square with knees bent, but can still stay flat and not catch an edge.....

but things can change in a spit second if you don't stay focused.
Yeah they can. It's funny because after the injury I last season I went up a couple more times 2 months later. I was so paranoid that I would always keep more of my weight on my back foot... it made things real weird and hard to turn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.