E46 Fanatics Forum banner

urgent - indicators flashing too fast

16K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  DEADF15H 
#1 ·
hey all

i just signed up here my name is jono, from australia.

i did also post on bimmer forums as i want to try and get this fixed asap

i have just bought my first bmw being a 2000 318i after having all hondas, so im new to it all really and have no idea where to start

basically my problem is that my indicators on my 2000 318i, both passenger side and driver side, flash fast, then will slow down to normal.

now this happens on the driver side more frequently, being the right side of the car due to being in australia.

i have checked all indicator bulbs and they are all working

can anyone help out??

if anyone could give as much info as possible, even pics, because i have no idea where to look when working on my Bmw.

hope everyone can help

cheers

See less See more
#10 ·
Front signal light indicator

Depends on what the dealer rate is. It is an easy fix. Not sure on the 2001 model year but on my 2002 MY is accesed by a small cutout at the very front end of the fender under the hood. In my car it was a screw type attachment. Unscrew the screw and the asembly will come out easily. Replace the bulb and then it should work fine. I believe on some models it is a push type tab (be gentle) to release the corner light assembly. Be careful in pulling the assembly out as it is attached in two places: one is like a plug in a round hole and the other is a two prong plastic where the screw tightens down. The prongs can break easily if not careful in fitting it back in the car.

#17 ·
I have a 2001 325i and was getting the same fast flash to slow flashing blinkers on the drivers side rear, also getting the dash warning light. Then the brake light failed. I replaced all the bulbs to no avail.
I found out that a common problem with this model is that the the fixture where you plug the wires into the lighting unit in the back is prone to short out.
The car is 11 years old and the plastics just disintegrate causing a short. I ordered a "Part #: 61 13 8 369 TAIL LIGHT BULB SOCKET WIRING HARNESS PLUG REPAIR KIT $27.95" from Bavarian Autosport, it came with complete instructions and was an easy fix, even though I don't know a thing about wiring.

FlickingSwitches, my first suggestion would be to buy the Bentley Manual for your car. they are expensive, but well worth it. They have plenty of photos and diagrams, I have very little auto repair experience, but between the forums and the manual you should be able to handle most small repairs and fixes.
I'll try to get some photos posted tonight.

#21 ·

Open the trunk, trunk light will light up (see photo), there is a latch you can feel, but only see if you stick you head inside the trunk. See arrow in first photo
2nd image shows Connector still plugged in
The unit that holds the bulbs needs replacing
as well as the plug with the 6 brown wires.
The OEM wiring will have multiple colors, this
picture was taken after changing the old one with the multi-color wires to the new kit which contains all brown wires.
Simple step by step instructions came with my kit. I have no wiring experience. All you need is a cigarette lighter and a pair of wire cutters/crimpers available at a Walmart or auto parts store, that can cut, strip and crimp the connectors. The pliers are very inexpensive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.