E46 Fanatics Forum banner

If I keep my Factory Nav? ? ? ?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Technic 
#1 ·
Can I easily upgrade my factory H/K amp to an aftermarket and upgrade my speakers. I already have a nice sub/amp setup (spliced into the speaker level), but the interior sound quality sucks.

Also, are the H/K speakers crossovers set at crazy levels or is it just the quality of the factory speakers that make them sound like crap???????

And, where the hell are the crossovers located, at each speaker or internally in the factory amp etc. ?????????

#2 ·
Crossovers are intregrated into the factory amp. Its a combination of weak drivers and pretty anemic power from the factory amp that causes the poor sound.

Get yourself an Audiocontrol LC6 so you can get RCA output for all your amps, then add a 2/4 channel amp and new speakers and you will have good sound.

#3 · (Edited)
Is there a harness available to go from the factory system to a Control unit???
How about hooking from the new amp back to the Factory speaker wires???
Will I have to run individual wires from my new amp to my speakers???

Like I say I have the sub/amp under control. I have it spliced in to the signal going into the factory control box in the trunk. Just need to work on the interior speakers/amp.

#4 ·
There isn't really a harness available, but if your interesting in doing it you basically just have to spice into 8 wires for the audiocontrol lc6 (postive/negative for all 4 channels), then you make an additional 8 connections to go from passive crossovers to the factory wiring (assuming you go with a 2 way component set).

#5 ·
8? shouldn't there be more since there are way more than 4 speakers involved?? Or do they split at the speakers and only have basically one set of wires going to the front doors for example then splitting into the 3 speakers found on each door once they get there?? But that would mean there would have to be crossovers at the speakers not the amp.

#6 ·
Can I easily upgrade my factory H/K amp to an aftermarket and upgrade my speakers. I already have a nice sub/amp setup (spliced into the speaker level), but the interior sound quality sucks.

Also, are the H/K speakers crossovers set at crazy levels or is it just the quality of the factory speakers that make them sound like crap???????

And, where the hell are the crossovers located, at each speaker or internally in the factory amp etc. ?????????
This is what I did to my OEM Nav in my old E46 M3... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392755

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.