E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New Member and M54 330 race car rebuild.

Tags
m54 racing vac
47K views 93 replies 22 participants last post by  RoadRace330 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I just started a new project and want to share it with you.
First, let me introduce myself.
I'm Marc-Andre, I live in Quebec City, Canada and I'm a computer tech support at www.qsl.com

So one of my friend presented me to this mid 50's guy who raced in Dirt Track in the 80's. He just bought a 330 coupe for the Canadian Touring Car Championship, with a blown engine. So when I met him he already had the engine rebuild by SDP Autosports in Trois-Rivieres, Qc. He showed me the repair bill......OMG over 10K$. I then told him, I don't understand why, then I took a look at the hand written , non detailed bill( Basically, new crank, 2 rods, new oil pump). Yes the bill was 10750$

I then proposed him to build him a new one because he didn't want to deal with these guys anymore.

Dealing with Tony from VAC for close to 10 years , I called him right away to order the parts.

Basically, it's pretty much wide open for the rules in this series, exept for the displacement(Limited to 3 liter) and single 70mm TB.

The goal is 300+ WHP and 240 WTorque. Max rpm 7200

So here we go:

VAC Cams (unknow lift & duration yet)
13:1 CP Pistons
Arrow Rods
VAC Stage 3 Head ( Inludes SS Valves, Ti retainers, Ported , CCed)
VAC Steel ML Head Gasket.
ARP Fasteners
Edit: custom modified pump and baffles
M52 Modified Damper (to fit M54)
VIPEC V88 EFI
Edit: Supersprint E36 Euro M3 headers + Bimmerworld M3 E46 Race exhaust system
will run with Elf Perfo 105 racing fuel(16% oxy)

Pics of the actual engine with the custom SDP Intake wich is a nice piece.

The car is really nice with lots of good parts on it but it needs a little details and attentions:

So I'll keep posting updated as the project goes along.

Marc-Andre:thumbup:

See less See more
#72 · (Edited)
After 7 weeks off, I'm Back!

Pics of all the work that was done while I wasn't there. New engine back in the car. New much bigger radiator.

The Bimmerworld race exhaust system had to be fitted to the SS header, but it fits. To bad to job was poorly done with regular steel pipe. He didn't have any stainless steel around.

AKG Solid race shifter along with the DSSR shift rod. The shift feel is incredible.

The BMW Motorsports front sway bar and Bimmerworld race control arms. Also new spherical tie-rods, old ones are now spares.

The car will leave this week for chagautosport.com for the Vipec V88 install and dyno tuning. More to come.

#81 ·
You must reinforce the strut attachement point in the trunk if you do so. No real benefit other than the extra adjustments and ease to replace coils. You will also run a much lower spring rate if you run true coil over.

I think it's a little overkill for street/track car.

#86 · (Edited)
CRAPPY CELL PICS ALERT! I've forgot my camera sorry.

Couple of pics last time I went to the shop.
The bodyshop guy made these really nice brake duct plate out of fiberglass.

Brake duct pipe being installed, thanks to the steering rack stopper, these will live longer than 1 weekend

The Volvo tractor is finally done and passed the DOT inspection flawlessly. Turned out really nice. Not too bad for a 9800$ truck.

All the vinyls were removed. I doubt we will have time to paint it before the first race(this weekend, Gulp!)

The power steering reservoir had to be installed on the right side along with the oil engine oil filter in order to make space for the carbon intake.

The car is still being tuned as we speak (at Chagautosport) it will be ready today, and we leave tomorrow morning for LCMT.
Next update on Monday.

Latest pics of the rig:

#88 · (Edited)
It's basically a spacer that goes between the inner tie rod and the steering rack main shaft. It locks the travel of the steering shaft. Only downside is a longer turning radius. It's quite a pain in the paddocks, but it saves the brake ducts and it's necessary when using the BMW MS front swaybar kit.
Just like this:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/suspension/e36%20rack%20stop.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.