E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Upgrades to my SweetXi Part 2

9K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Nachos23 @ carbon-effects.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you might recall a thread I did called the Transformation from Stock to SweetXi (my car's "handle" LOL).... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=755481

Well, this spring we decided to complete part 2 of the planned upgrades.

Included:

- 18" M6 wheels
- replaced EAS CAI with Conforti CAI using Foam Filter
- replaced AA Strut brace with Rogue Engineering race brace
- new VIS Carbon Fibre hood (was cheaper than repainting front half of car due to rust on my factory hood). Going to repair and wrap my hood when I get a moment
- Custom Race mesh kidney grills from racemesh.com and custom lower valence race mesh grill (not yet installed).
- new Hamann side skirts
- Tint changed from 35% in sides, to 20% all round.
- Bkack gloss vinyl wrap on the roof. Going to have trunk vinyl wrapped in gloss as well and carbon fiber wrap the rear spoiler (spoiler probably next winter).

These upgrades were planned before Josee got really sick and are just now being done (it was her wish to have seen them all on before she passed, but never got them all done in time....)

Hopefully picking up today my finished new front bumper and integrated Hamann lip... They are being permanently attached so they look as one piece.... Going to keep current stock bumper for winter use.... change complete front bumper when I change over to winter tires.... Been waiting on his piece for 2 weeks now (body shop swamped). Promised for today!

Here are a few pictures of the latest upgrades:

Will post bumper pictures when it's installed as well! :clap:

See less See more
#12 ·
Fitment was adjusted. I knew there was an issue and we took a while to locate it. It was the passenger hood pin causing it to bow and we adjusted the fitment on the hinges again. Here are final pictures with the new bumper and lip installed along with the HID lights in the fogs...

I dig the grills, with the new bumper and the lower grill that is used, it definitely will bring things together. Butcha gotta clean those headlight lenses!
150,000 km with Lamix installed has caused it to dullen. Going to be removing and buffing lens in next few days.

everything but ur grills looks good overall.

Thanks, but I love the race mesh grills. Custom race mesh valence also going on this winter.

where can i get this heat shield?
The heat sheild comes with the Conforti Cold Air Intake. It's a great shield really protects the CAI from the engine heat.

#14 ·
Thanks! What is hard to see in the pictures is the gloss black vinyl wrap I had done on the roof....

#16 ·
Interesting dilema addressed by removing release handle and replacing with a wire which ends in a loop just @ grill. We bent some more metal to create a handle to latch the loop. Can be done by hand as well; just more difficult.

Currently for a machine shop or possibly a member to machine a piece that looks like our tow hooks but considersbly smaller to replace current wire through grill. Have it painted red to stand-out.....it would have a small bushing at the other end to operate the release latch.... Still more work to do..... LOL

#19 ·
A couple of detractors is always good; but I'm going to focus on all the postitive comments I've recevied on the boards and from those that have seen it in person. Get compliments daily!

KPENG, don't think you and I are ever going to agree what looks good as far as mods go, but it's all good!!! THat's the beauty of modding; it's personal. I;ve seen lots of mods on the board that guys are extremely proud of; don't agree with all of them but, ultimately, modding is a personal statement or reflection of a particular person's vision..... It's because we push the envelope and try different things that the industry is continually evolving..... I hate going to a meet and seeing nothing but MTech kits.... so much of the same; no uniqueness.... The true joy of modding for me is bringing different elements together and make them work to create a unique look. BUt they have to be functional as well.....

Just installed a Mangaflow exhaust 2 days ago.... real nice sound... Great subtle tone at low rpms and sounds awesome under acceleration....

#20 ·
The kidney grills and unpainted hood are very tacky. The wheels are as well, M6 reps don't suit the car, and painted black = ugly.
I do like the Hamann lip and sides, if you painted the hood, got some painted proper kidney grills and some quality wheels, it would look great.

#23 ·
Well, certainly a group of opiniated members... LOL Appreciate the feedback although I might not agree with all of the criticism, some of the comments have given me ideas for future upgrades... She's staying the way she is for the moment as I like the look. I was thinking of a partial paint for the hood.... and a few other things based on some of the comments...

#27 · (Edited)
I'm using 6K HID fogs. It cost me $100 for the set as I have a lighting guy that I've done some wrapping for, who now gives me special rates.... Looks nice, but I still have to aim them ...

#28 ·
won;t let edit previous post for some reason. I changed the headlight HID bulbs to 6K's several months ago, the highbeams are ultra-whites (look like HIDs), the angel eyes are also 6K,so everything is matched now to 6K. Nice consistant colour in the front now... Beautiful bright white light across front; no yellow (halogen) fogs to destroy look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.