E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#18,822 · (Edited)
Replaced the (probably original) fuel pump, which finally gave up the ghost at 141K mi. Replaced the fuel filter and tank seal too.

The $$ I saved doing some earlier DIYs from this site paid for the labor on this one after having AAA tow the car into the shop.

#18,823 · (Edited)
Finally got the last CEL turned off... Fault code D8 the Leak Detection Pump reed switch not open issue. It turned out to be the vacuum line from the Fuel breather valve to the throttle body was disconnected. Also found that one of the grommets under the VCG was missing which contributed to the vacuum leak as well. I believe this is the first time in 5 months I don't have a CEL illuminated in my E46. Thank you Benchmark Motors, you fixed the only issue that stumped me for the last couple of months.

#18,824 · (Edited)
I cannot believe how challenging it was replacing the vacuum hose on the Vacuum Control Switch. There was a little residue from the old hose and it was impossible to get a firm hold on it let alone see it. I ended up removing the plate that holds the cabin air filter, got frustrated, took a short break and then it slide on within minutes. What a day, I hope to never reach that point again. After clearing the codes, I took it for a drive and watched it roll past 120K and I fell in love with her again.

#18,832 ·
Finally got the last CEL turned off... Fault code D8 the Leak Detection Pump reed switch not open issue. It turned out to be the vacuum line from the Fuel breather valve to the throttle body was disconnected. Also found that one of the grommets under the VCG was missing which contributed to the vacuum leak as well. I believe this is the first time in 5 months I don't have a CEL illuminated in my E46. Thank you Benchmark Motors, you fixed the only issue that stumped me for the last couple of months.
were you getting P0171 P0174 lean codes because of the missing grommet? I ask this because I am getting these codes after replacing my VANOS seals last weekend. I had a grommet that was still on when I re-installed the cover so when i tightened it, I'm almost sure I cracked the cover (causing a vac leak, and the lean codes)

#18,837 ·
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Nice job! I would attempt this as well but I know it would come out looking like ****.
It's tricky because the tape doesn't want to hold on to the taper of the grommet portion so I wrapped the last bit into the grommet so that it's held and can't slide under tension.

I didn't have the heart or ambition to cut all the wires, put a new elephant trunk on, and resolder the wires, like Dmax.

Sent from my iPhone