E46 Fanatics Forum banner

5 spd - Driving without using...

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  withdrew 
#1 ·
the clutch ?!?!?!?! a friend of mine knows how to do this.. anyone here know how it works ? is it good / bad for the car ? pls share any info! :thumbup:

#5 ·
i would definetly do it on a loaner lol :D

#7 ·
so how exactly do you do this/"???? sounds dangerous. liek grindin ur gears. anyone want to provide a detailed instruction?

#8 ·
You have to know the car pretty well. YOu have to match the rpm when you move into gears. This is what people do when they are driving trucks. The good thing about it is you are easy on the clutch, so no need to change the clutch that often. But you have to use the clutch when you start the car from a stop.

#10 ·
Full Time Hit Man said:
You have to know the car pretty well. YOu have to match the rpm when you move into gears. This is what people do when they are driving trucks. The good thing about it is you are easy on the clutch, so no need to change the clutch that often. But you have to use the clutch when you start the car from a stop.
Most people wear out their clutches in first gear though, so how does this help your clutch last longer?

#12 ·
I do this sometimes with my old Honda. Can only get it to work in 3rd to 5th gears. Yep, rpms matching and u have to know your car very well. Somehow I feel that I abuse my car doing this:thumbdwn:

#14 ·
I've NEVER executed one successfully, but here's the theory behind it...

1) Slipping car out of gear: When your engine load is equal to your tire load, i.e. coasting with your foot off the brake and gas, and when the engine isn't doing too much engine breaking, it's easy to slip your gear back into neutral

2) Rev match: This takes a lot of getting used to. If you're going up 1 gear, then your RPM has to drop accordingly, like if you're going from 3rd to 4th @4,000 rpm, then your engine has to be spinning at ~3,000 rpm or so in order for the gears to line up.

3) Once your rpm matches your wheel speed, it should be possible to slip your shifter into the next gear w/o any resistence or grinding.

In modern day BMWs upshifting w/o using the clutch is damn near impossible since the RPM HANGS regardless of what engine software you're running with for emission purposes, so it would take forever to match RPM before you can shift into the next gear. Down shifting is possible but which is cheaper, your clutch, or a new transmission?

#17 ·
I worked at Avis carrental. We "used" those cars really good. I shifted gears without using the cluch. From 2. to 3. and 3 to 4. is the easiest. Its just to let go of the gaspedal and slip it garefully into gear. When its done right, it should feel like you are using the cluch. BUT I DONT RECOMEND IT!!!!!!

#18 ·
don't know if this is related..

.. when u downshift.. (with clutch) how much more rpm do u add?\
is there like a forgiveable range?... I was told it's 700rpm more..between each gears.. (and it works fine, still need more practice tho.. screw up all the time..)
and as above mentioned.. it's 1000rpm..

damn. I wish I have my car to find out..
can someone try for me??

thanx in advance..

#23 ·
how much would the bmw clutch cost ? never had to change any.. any ideas ?

#25 ·
Black330ci said:

1600 bucks cost me, i should have had my dad take it in
damn dude.. u have an 02 and had to have the clutch replace???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.