E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Power Seat Retrofit w/Memory!! Pics!!

315K views 198 replies 74 participants last post by  DeeJE46 
#1 ·
Ok well I've done the heated seat retrofit and now it's time for my wite up on a power seat retrofit considering I got a great deal on some power seat frames.

Basically some tools you will need:

- Torque Wrench
- 17 mm Socket
- 16 mm open ended wrench
- 8 and 10mm sockets
- Crimping Tool
- Pliers
- Philips Head Screw Driver
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- Assortment of Torx bits/sockets
- Some extra 1 Time plastic Rivets (you can buy the cheap kind at autozone for about $1.69 for a 15 pack but they tend to break easily) I recommend the ones from the dealer they are still fairly cheap yet more durable
- Some Special BMW Contact Pins for the Fuse panel and Seat Harness connectors
- Some 12 Gauge Wiring Red, Black and 16 Gauge Red/Yellow
- 2 - 30 Amp Fuses
- And Some Patience....

Ok lets start. I'm not oing to go into great detail on how to remove the seats but if youhave any questions check out my DIY Heated Seat Thread and/or ask any questions.

The Power Seat Frames I received were not complete so I needed to transfer a coupe parts from my manual seats to them not a problem..

Step 1: Disconnect your battery and remove seats making sure to unplug the seat connector with the 17 MM socket.

Step 2: Start diassembling your manual seats removing the padding and cushioning first.

Then you can start disassembling the metal frame portions to transfer them to your power seats.

See less See more
#31 ·
sports manual to power conversion

Hi, Ivegotissues666

I have read your install and its encouraged me to attempt converting my heated leather sports seats.
I have got both front seat electric bases but would like to ask a few more questions before I start.

1/ when wiring the seats up you used the correct connections for the electrics, part number 61 13 8 364 842 did you also use the black plug that holds those connections (female plug) or did you simple plug the connections into the seat plug (male plug) ?

2/ when fitted at the factory the electric seats also come with a memory function which you have managed to connect to but can you tell me do you need to have this connected to your door mirrors so to have the full effect of the memory function ?

Like you I really would not install this type of retrofit without doing it as it was intended at the factory (or as close as possible)
Your guidance in this will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

#32 ·
Hi, Ivegotissues666

I have read your install and its encouraged me to attempt converting my heated leather sports seats.
I have got both front seat electric bases but would like to ask a few more questions before I start.

1/ when wiring the seats up you used the correct connections for the electrics, part number 61 13 8 364 842 did you also use the black plug that holds those connections (female plug) or did you simple plug the connections into the seat plug (male plug) ?

2/ when fitted at the factory the electric seats also come with a memory function which you have managed to connect to but can you tell me do you need to have this connected to your door mirrors so to have the full effect of the memory function ?

Like you I really would not install this type of retrofit without doing it as it was intended at the factory (or as close as possible)
Your guidance in this will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

61 13 8 364 842 Plugs into the female plug which is the the haness left over ater you remove and disconnect your seats. If you bought power/heated frames the male connections on the seats are all set and won't need to be touched <--- I think thats what your asking at least.

You do not need to hook it up to the door mirrors for memory functions to work.

I have another DIY in store for everyone for OEM Autofolding and Reverse Tilting mirrors exactly like OEM so stay tuned.

Good Luck and any other questions feel free to PM me.

Jared

#33 · (Edited)
Hi thanks for that, 61 31 8 364 842 is the part number for the metal connections that connect up the main power and earth to the seat wiring loom, am I correct in saying that they just push into the yellow plug comming from the cars loom on the floor under the seat.
Do you have the part numbers for the smaller pin at terminal 15 the one that goes to the K-bus for memory function.

Thanks for your help as I have been looking for the wrong part as i thought there was also a large plastic casing similar to the seat side but with female terminals.
Thats great I have been at my local dealer trying to get this part he even had the workshop foreman out and he did not have a clue just said that the looms are hand made for each car according to its ordered spec and if it did'nt have electric seats etc etc it will not be possible to do it.
I think we know better.

I replaced my interior with one that came out of a 2006 e46 coupe 320cd that had a major rear ender and to my luck its also heated, I have ordered the installing set heated seats part number 61 11 1 0 026 895 so that should just be plug and play.

I am waiting patiently for your mirror diy, I would also like the kerbside tilt function to operate when reverse gear is selected, my car is fitted with genuine ACS mirrors that do not the fold motors in them but having the kerbside tilt enabled would be good.
Thanks once again for your input will let you know how I got on

Eugene

#34 ·
Hi Ivegotissues666.

I am still looking into doing your diy on the electric seats, I have the seat frames and electrics but during a search i found that there is i control unit on the doors that maybe part of the memory function.
The part is called a mirror memory module prt# 61 35 6 916 054 (x 2)
If I where to attemt this diy do you think that i would need to get this modules so that a complete oem install could be retrofitted.
Your thoughts on this would b very helpfull

#35 ·
You don't need the mirror memory module, my car didn't have one. It would be located behind your drivers and passengers side front doors if you have one. So NO it is not necessary nd won't affect the memory functions if you wire it up exactly like I explained in the DIY.

However the Mirror Memory Module is Key to Autofolding Mirrors and Reverse Tilt, if you want to do it the factory way that is.

Jared

#36 ·
Thanks for the info Jared, I would like to at least research into installing the reverse tilt function, I think you said on a post that you may have managed to do this, is there any chance of a diy being posted for it or a quick overveiw written in a pm on how to do it

Cheers

Eugene

#37 ·
Thank you to Ivegotissues666 for taking the time to post this DIY.

Now I know how it's done I've picked up a pair of used powered M3 seats to replace the manual flat seats in my 328. I never would have had the confidence to attempt this without your how-to.

:bow:

#39 ·
These are cool. Just installed mine. Notice that the seats that are mechanically adjusted, but have lumbar support, already come with the (+) and (-) wiring in that seat-socket.

#42 · (Edited)
royalratch, my harness arrived this week for the heated seat part of my retrofit. The fuse box and K-bus connectors on that are presumably the same as needed for the power seat hook up. If all else fails I'll go with it to my local dealer next week and see if their parts guy can use it to identify the part numbers on his system somehow. I'll post here if he can.

#44 · (Edited)
Mate - I just ordered all the connectors!

There are different part numbers for the same parts as they differ in the gauge of cabling they accept - 30amp/15amp/7.5amp etc...

Connection for 12V+ at Fusebox:
Items 1 + 2

Connections for K-BUS at Fusebox:
Item 1 & 3

Connections to into seat plug on the car loom side:
Item 8

They come in tabs of 4, order one of each gauge and you're covered.

Let me triple-check the packets when I get home. Basically, you just need to replicate the pins that came on your heated loom.

#46 ·
hey op, great diy... on that note, can you tell me or lead me to the direction where i can find some instructions on how to take apart the bottom seat cushion/cover etc... my leather is ripped where at the right side stitching and i would like to sew it back... Appreciate the help man...

#47 ·
Royalratch,

To confuse things, today I've found an old post by I'vegotissues666 with these part numbers...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=467677&highlight=bus+connector

61 13 8 377 731 for the fusebox
61 13 1 387 144 for the K-bus

So number 5 here:
http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/tou/328i-M52/ECE/R/N/1999/10/mg-61/ill-61_2156/
(I'm guessing part numbers 730, 732, 733 would also fit the fusebox and fit different cable diameters)

And number 8 here:
http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/tou/328i-M52/ECE/R/N/1999/10/mg-61/ill-61_1349/

I'll order these and let you know how I get on

#48 · (Edited)
I did mine today...

HOW F*CKING DIFFICULT IS IT TO GET A FEED INTO THE FUSEBOX!!!??????

I dropped it down and FULLY released it from it's hinges and it's bloody IMPOSSIBLE! It took me 1.5 hours to get 2 12V feeds for the power seats!
I gave up bothering for the heated seat feeds I was about to go MAD.

I put 2 in the wrong fuse slots and had to cut them, re-crimp and try again - only way I could do it is blind guess work and shine a torch down the fuse receiver end and see if i was coming in at the right slot!

And I have no idea how to get into the K-Bus module either...

ARRGGHHH!!!!!!!

#49 ·
Update on this.

I installed Coupe Power seats into my Touring. If you are putting manual Coupe sports seats into a Sedan/Touring then you just use the rails from your regular seats.

But I was going from Power Coupe seats into a Touring and it';s actually easier - you just swap the seat belt bracket from your regular seats and bolt it onto the Coupe seat - no swapping rails etc. Then run wiring as above and you're good. I re-trimmed them also and the re-trimmers removed the Coupe tilt mechanism and handles etc so they are now 100% 4-door power sports seats just as if they were made that way, which is just what I was after, all for the princely sum of £150!

#50 ·
Well done on getting yours in despite the snow. I'm waiting on warmer weather, or finding a (preferably heated) garage to work in!

Then I'll be able to say I see your Coupe powered heated seats into a Touring and raise you M3 powered heated seats with electric back bolster and lumbar support into a Touring! :pimpin:
I've replaced the big tilt release outer handles with little ones like on the inside of the passenger's seat. Not as neat as your solution but I might buy a Coupe next year and can transfer the seats if I do.

All my connectors have now arrived. For anyone else reading, I can confirm these part numbers are good:

61 13 8 377 731 (730 to 733) for the fusebox
61 13 1 387 144 for the K-bus

#51 ·
I have access to a garage so got all the wiring sorted before the seats arrived. Then when they go here I just plugged it all in. Will connect the final K-Bus and 1 more + at the Fusbox today - needed a break!

Regarding terminations, one thing that nobody has mentioned is the terminals for the seat connect - Car Side. Unless your car was already wired for power seats then you will need to address this.

Power +/- for Seat Plug CAR SIDE Items 8 or 9
Clicky

K-Bus Items Seat Plug CAR SIDE Items 1
Clicky

These come with wire attached so you have to splice in.

Door Sill Ground Point terminal is just a female spade terminal, like the ones on your speakers, or the same as K-Bus at Fusebox end.

These work for sure.

Pix to follow...

#52 ·
For the seat connectors, I went with 61 13 8 364 842 as that's what the OP used (pictured on page 1) in this DIY. And the 61 13 1 387 144 for the k-bus as above. Yours are fitted and working with the connectors you used so guess it just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Now, get them pics up lad and make me jealous!

#53 · (Edited)
I'm using aftermarket heating elements so am doing that part of the wiring seperatlet (not through the seat plug) to make sure it works.

Then I'll re-terminate and run it all through the main plug after I'm satisfied.

All in and working - but I cannot see how to add any connections into the K-Bus module.

I'm doing Heated and Power seats so have 2 connections to make to the K-Bus and so neither seat memory nor heat switch console logic works.

Any ideas?

#60 · (Edited)
Slid K-Bus box off and it had just 2 slots left - just what I needed, one for heated seats switch and one for seat memory. Memory now works fine. Waiting for correct switch bracket for my heated seats switches now and then it should all be done - can get the glovebox back on now at least!

JOB DONE.

Many thanks to the Jared again.

#61 ·
stuck

I made an aborted start today. Laid everything out and realised I hadn't sourced the connector for the memory function wire at the seat end - i.e. the one to plug into tiny pin 15 on the driver's seat connector block.

What did you use rr?

My only guesses so far are no.1 or no.3:

:(