E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track better than an E46 M3 Bimmer :(

20K views 95 replies 65 participants last post by  DSilk56 
#1 ·
Motor Trend Article May 2009

I just read this last night when I received the magazine:

"The last-generation BMW M3 was, and still is, a fantastic GT car. No person in his right mind could say its structure felt like soggy fettuccine. Well, according to Hyundai, the Genesis Coupe boasts a body 24 percent stiffer in bending rigidity than that of the E46 Bimmer. Better than an M3? In this instance, it appears so."

I was dishartened but at the same time I am happy for Hyundai for making a nice GT car that is affordable. I even saw a picture of the inside and it is beautiful.

Photo of inside photo of the cabin of the genesis coupe automatic

I sill love my M3 ! My heart just skipped a beat when I saw that. I am sure a 2020 minivan would run circles around my m3 LOL

Regards,
Loay

#85 ·
Very old thread but I am in this game so rather than re-hash it, I am adding.

2013 model 348HP and like 295TQ. No M3, but nice.

I make a decent living right around 6 figures, however; I have to drive 2000+ miles a month on average. I have a great job and don't mind...my 2006 M3 I bought with 25k in January. I have 44k on it now and it sat in an airport parking lot for 6 weeks+.

My total cost of ownership with a 3% car loan this year so far has been $32k. Payment, insurance, gas, maintenance.

Even if I threw in $2000 in mods to the Genesis per year my car costs would be $15k with it. I figured in the 3 oil changes, the 1.5 sets of tires, all the common to M3 things.

Just the savings of more than $17k is almost 20% my income.

I love my M3, I am hating to sell it. I am also going through a divorce and the $11k of equity I have in my M3 will save me 6 months of $2000 payments to that debt.

I am not set on getting the 2013 Genesis 3.8 Track, but I have to move on. I am going to test drive some 2011 Corvettes this weekend. They carry a stigma too though outside the Z06 and ZR1 lineups. They are right at the Genesis sticker though.

I drove the 2012 and 2013 Boss 302's, more pricey, more noisy, and I didn't like how I saw out of them. That's the huge advantage of my M3 with Euro Mirrors. No blind spots, easy to see around and easy to see every corner of my car.

#87 ·
i read this whole old (stupid) thread about a misunderstood article to see if i could finally get some M3 chassis rigidity specs finally. NOPE still nothing other than that Hyundai is said to have some 24% better rigidity specs that the E46. which is no big deal as the specs on the convertible E46 (9,000 Nm) are horrible and even the coupe and sedan aren't anything special for their day. the differences in the different E46 models are over 24% from their worst cabrio to firmer known published spec of wagon or sedan. heck the non-M Coupe is 12,500 Nm so still rather un-impressive and can easily be outdone years later.

i want E46 M3 chasiss rigidity specs :help:

#89 ·
The Hyundai makes good time on the track with high skidpad numbers, great straight line acceleration, styling isn't bad, ect. - Probably the same thing Ferrari Testarossa owners said when the e46 M3 came out.
Lets face it - no matter what you own right now for a car, eventually something will be faster. Given enough time, it will be faster and less expensive.

#94 ·
From your lips to God's ears. We have been living in a golden age of motoring for more than 20 years now, but those who believe that it will never end are too young (or too demented with age) to remember the 1970's and 1980's, when a combination of emission-control standards and CAFE standards reduced performance to nearly a standstill. It's easy to forget that the standard Corvette in 1980 had all of 160 bhp on tap, and took 9 seconds to go from naught to 60. This after the same car offered engines that boasted over 400 bhp (SAE gross) in 1968. Or that the 1963 E-type Jaguar went from naught to 60 in 6.5 seconds and had a top speed of 150 mph, while its 1970 counterpart took over 8 seconds to get to 60 and topped out at 119 mph (thanks to restrictive emissions controls). Just keep that in mind as new CAFE requirements are being floated and the greens are pushing for restrictions on CO2 emissions.

#90 ·
roadtrip1098 - nice post!

I have not had a chance to drive the Genesis coupe. I considered the Genesis sedan as a daily and drove that and thought it made good acceleration and engine noise. I do have some interior dislikes or changes I would prefer.

The genesis coupe has a nice muscular stance and its impressive with RWD, LSD standard. I take the mention of rigidity comparison as a compliment as an e46 m3 owner.

Regards,
Loay

#95 ·
Not everything progresses though, take for example:
The great grand-daddy of cars, the 1908 Model T, got 25 MPG. That's on par with almost all new Subarus.
The Type 1 VW Beetle could manage up to 39 MPG, the same as a new Lexus Hybrid.
The EV1 Produced by GM in the 90's had a range of 80-100 miles - better than that of newer electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi MiEV, Smart Fortwo, Scion iQ EV, Honda Fit, ect. It looked better too.
All I want is a car that doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, but acts like it does. Is that so much to ask? - Granted there are companies like Tesla and Fiskar that are working to make it happen. Just think, 20 years from now we'll look back and say, "My BMW M3E can out accelerate the Tesla and cost me a ton less."

#96 · (Edited)
If you look at just a single measure of performance, in your case fuel economy, then it looks as if things haven't progressed much. But keep in mind that that Model T and the Type 1 Beetle had no creature comforts at all, had ABYSMAL performance, and each one polluted more than a full fleet of Ferrari Enzos. The Beetle had no heater (if you wanted one, you had to order an optional gas heater) or air conditioning, took well over 20 seconds to get to 60 mph, and could only reach 70 mph (as a top speed) on a downhill grade. By the way, no heater means no windshield defrost; you had to use your hand to continually wipe the inside of the windscreen.

Electric cars are not necessarily the solution, if green is your thing. The pollution generated in their production greatly exceeds that of cars powered by "dinosaur" juice, the storage batteries contain toxic heavy metals that need to be mined (and will ultimately require disposal), and the generation of that electricity still relies on power plants, the majority of which are fueled by coal. By the way, the Fisker Karma actually uses a 2 litre gasoline engine to continuously charge its batteries. It also costs $100,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.