E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What front struts to go with 2000 323I E46

7K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  littledawg 
#1 ·
Hey guys what's up. I'm in the market for new struts in the front on my beamer. I don't want to go with the oem for like 275 a piece, i just don't have that cash flow. Can you guys recommend some good struts to go with that wont break the bank and won't totally suck ans will be redoing in 50000 miles. My budget would be around 150$ per shock, unless you think a cheaper one is as same quality. Remember i do want quality and something to last but just not $900 for two shocks and installation. thanks in advance and let me know what you think. Any thing else i should be considering doing around this time either? I have 125000 and just redid trans, control arms ,bushings, thermostat and a few other little things. I think i might need a wheel bearing in front left bc of sound i have coming from that area sounds like a rock is stuck in wheel but its not a rock obviously. Not sure it tire is just shot or the struts could cause this problem. Please let me know ASAP need to get this done. Thanks everyone in advance.

#8 ·
Bought them from eShocks.com. I've put about 2k miles on them so far and have enjoyed the noticeable difference in comfort. Bumps that used to rattle inside the cabin no longer exist and I don't have any strange noises coming from the front either.

#9 ·
Just ordered touring fronts for 200$ total.i hope they ride real nice and get rid of that thumpimg sound I have coming from left front wheel,you ever had this problem? I'm starting to think sway bars links or sway bar bushing but my mechanic just told me it was the wheels old out of shape dry rot....I have no idea but the struts are on way and I'll let you know how I like them after they are installed in next couple of weeks. Thanks for the info about the touring ,I hope I like them....

#12 ·
since you did the other stuff I would do the end links and swaybar bushings then your front is done. that clunk could be a bad swaybar bushing.

#14 ·
Its an easy DIY. jack up the front and take off both front tires and the endlinks are right there, the bushings are just a tad bit further in. I just did my Control Arm Bushings along with these and all were easy IMO. Amazed with how well the car drove today. I had a a noise on the passenger side that I thought was the sway bar but since I replaced everything it went away. I also converted to the powerflex bushings for the control arms and the swaybar and glad I did. I was a bit worried about ride quality but given the crappy roads in Chicago with the winter I couldn't be happier. Next I plan to do the same with the rear bushings.

You asked about suspension, I can't say how well the ride quality is, but have you considered Suspension Techniques? I was considering this as an option when I tackle this. Normally I would do coils on a car but I picked this car up cheap and given its age/worth I just can't see dumping money towards a nice set of coils. If your interested PM me I can put you in contact with the guy I have been working with. Best price I have found so far and it was only $379 shipped:) (that's for all 4)

#16 ·
your welcome, there not coils but replacement struts. that cost is for all 4 (front and rear)

link

#18 ·
UPDATE, Replaced shocks with Bilstein Touring and they are really nice. Also had the mounts,end links and sway bar bushings changed. Car is running great. Still have the thumping coming from what feels like by the gas pedal area and a smell of burning rubber coming from the under hood up by windshield wipers. Any body have any clue on what is located under the floor board by gas and brake pedal that could cause this thumping sound i have. It doesn't effect steering either. What could it be?

#19 ·
Burning smell is most likely your valve cover gasket. Buy OEM only for this part; I replaced mine with the Victor Reinz 6 months ago and it's starting to weep a little bit. Not sure about the thumping... how are your control arm bushings looking?

#20 ·
control arm bushings replaced about 6 months ago along with control arms so with the stuff i did today the front end is pretty much new again. Valve cover is definitely leaking that is the next thing to do. Will go with factory, thanks. This thumping sound is driving me crazy.....It sounds like something is stuck in tire but its down by my feet. The faster i go the faster the sound goes and the slower, you get the point.

#23 ·
I have never had a burning smell from changing any valve cover regardless of make.

Sounds like something maybe is rubbing or could have come loose?

#24 ·
Yeah it does smell more like rubber than oil. My mechanic had mentioned the tires are wavy. It's a cheaper tire and they are all dry rot he said. I think it may be time for new tires but not sure if they would make the thumping sound. What is located under floor board by gas and break pedal that could make that thumping sounds.i can feel it right by my feet while driving but just can't pin point it.

#25 ·
You can visually inspect the giubo (Universal Joint is the bmw part name), but not the csb...just behind it above exhaust and heat shield.

Both are possible.

Also possible, since you had all your wheels off is something as simple as the dustshield scraping.

Don't 'trust' entirely where you think the sound is coming from. Other possibles are the wheel bearings...you can test for those by seeing if the sound gets louder in a turn.

That burning rubber smell, that probably is oil, might be rubber...if your giubo is broken up and fraying...also check your belts.

GL...hth

#26 · (Edited)
Got belts about year ago and rubber smell isn't like super strong it's a faint smell but def smells ever time drive car. I will get under there and see I can see guibo frayed. Can I see guibo without taking over that plastic shield? What dust shield are you referring too,brake sheild? Thanks for info...when turning the noise doesn't get worse. It seems like the noise goes away upon acceleration but as soon as I let my foot off gas it starts which leads me to think while acceleration the pressure is being taken off something from the slight raise in front end ? You guys think that's possible? Control arms, c a bushings,sway bar links and bushings and shocks were just replaced btw

#27 ·
I was having sone thumping/vibrations in my gas pedal and steering wheel for a year
Had my tires balanced few times, but still had the problem
Well yesterday 3 tires went out on me
Today im riding on brand new tires.....the vibrations and thumping is gone :)

Next for me is to change the ca, cab, end links, and tie rods...after reading dmax thread, ive decided to go with meyle parts

#28 ·
Note: I only used Meyle HD control arm bushings. The control arms are lemforder. I also used lemf. sway bar links.

I can't give feedback on the meyle Control arms...but I'll say this...

My Lemforders were probably not original, but had at least 100K miles on them. After putting new ones on, I notice no difference...other than that my OE cabs were blown...easily 1/2" of play back and forth...something like that.

#29 ·
UPDATE: I changed my tire and rim today because front right rim was bent. While i had the tire off i was spinning the rotor, what is noticed is when i rotated left and right about 2" each way a heard a knock each time i stopped. I put my hand on the knuckle and could feel the knock too. Is this a bad bearing? My thumping noise is still there but better since i changed rim and tire and suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.