E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Buying an X3

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sherweeeny 
#1 ·
Hey guys

So... The missus wants an X3 and has found a low mileage early model that she likes. Looks like the base model with PDC and spots steering wheel and not much else in the way of options. This will replace the RAV4 that she currently drives.

Anyone have experience with these? Any pointers on what to look out for?

As I understand it, the X3 is basically an E46 jacked up on higher suspension.

Feedback and experiences appreciated.

Cheers

B

#2 ·
I bought one for the wife a few weeks back, 2009 MY10 lifestyle with exclusive pack and innovations pro pack. Haven't had it long enough to give any practical advice sorry. I'm surprised by the low down torque when driving around town of the 2l turbo diesel though!

#3 ·
Yeah the turbo diesel is fantastic - we have a 118d vert in the family and the torque is superb.

Congrats on the new purchase! Hope is goes well for you and the wife.

The deciding factor for us was that she has wanted an X3 since first seeing them and also driving my car. That, plus the fact that the RAV has to go as she has difficulty driving a manual because of injury. The one we saw is a 2.5i which has the same M54 engine as the E46 and it looks like it shares a lot of componentry so it should be easy to work on.

#5 ·
Quite happy with the drive and dynamics, and most importantly the missus finds it easy to drive and maneouvre. You'er right about some aspects of the build - door cards seem plasticy and could be better built, and some trim appears that it could show signs of wear very easily.

That said, and without knowing its off-the-bitumen capability it is definitely better than the RAV4 being replaced.

#10 ·
^ yeah exactly what I was thinking. Knowing the potential issues with an M54 base and having a lot of resources such as this site makes a big difference.

The car only has 63K km and seems well kept, so I t anticipate no issues.

Loving your car btw. Did you finally go the SC route or drop in a S54?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.