E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Can't get rid of P0340 and P1525 even after both CPS sensors replacement

Tags
cps p1525 vanos
17K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Coffman 
#1 ·
Here's my story, I hope someone will help me regarding this issue because I put a lot of heart and soul into my bimmer, as I know that you all did.

I have a 200 323 Ci, what hapenedone month ago is that my battery was dead, replaced it and unfortuneatelly I did it wrong I reversed the terminals and tried starting the engine, the engine of course didn't cranck...
This polarity reversal blew out my alternator -> replaced it.
After the alterternator swap, the engine still didn't crank up.

It finally cranked up after a BMW tech came and inspected that a wire coming into my Siemens ECU was melted, he also checked all my fuses and replaced the blown ones.

After the engine started the tech diagnozed my car and thew a code regarding the Exhaust CPS (not intake).

I replaced the CPS with a new BMW OEM one from the stealership and cleared the code.

After that, initially the car felt finally like it was driving well....but then after 100 km it felt slugish, bad idle and tremmors at start up .
After diagnosing again the car, I got some multiple missfires on Cyl 1, 2, 3 + code P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Bank I.

BMW tech cleared the codes, and only P0340 came up again.
I suspect the CYL 1, 2, 3 missfires were because bad fuel (after I put some other fuel in it plus BMW certified additive it drove fine)
Because P0340 refers to the intake CPS I replaced this CPS also with a new BMW OEM one, cleared the code and drove the car.

The car feels better now, idling issue almost resolved, but I still get the P0340 + new P1525 code now (after replacing the Intake CPS).Cleared the codes, drive the car, but I still receive the same codes.

Now I really don't know what to do.......car is idling fine but it tremmors kind of rough until it warms up....

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, someboy replied after one year:).
In the mean time I solved my issue.
I had a loose camshaft timing chain and chain tensioner.
Replaced these two, retimed my engine, restarted all the adaptions, no more errors anymore.
I see you have 232 k miles on your car, for sure a tensioner / chain swap is healthy.
Also redo the vanos seals if you are opening it up.

#5 ·
This is another e46 328i that has 155k miles. It had a bad head gasket. I did rebuild the vanos unit before I reinstalled it. I am going to retime it once more before I change out the timing chain. P0340 is the only code I am getting.

Did you replace the primary and secondary chains?

How did you restart your adaptions.?

#9 · (Edited)
I don't think he did have to take off the timing cover. He replaced the secondary chain, which is above the block all exposed.

I solved my p0340 by retiming it. The last time I timed it, I had to adjust the exhaust sproket and timing chain by 1 link. I worked the timing backwards to see where my chain had to be relative to the cams at TDC.

#11 ·
I have a rattling sound from the VANOS, I replaced the seals in 2012 with beisans. I think either the timing chain tensioner or the secondary timing chain tensioner is causing the problem. TCT seems easy to replace but how about secondary TCT? Can it be replaced without taking the sprockets and secondary timing chain out?

#12 ·
Sorry to revive a dated thread but I have a p0340 code and I've replaced the intake sensor and I still have the code.i know the sensor is good and I tested it by tapping it on a pice of metal and I heard relays and injectors clicking. So where do I look to fix my issue. The car is a 2002 330ci 5 speed and all this happened when my oil pump went out while driving

#15 ·
If the sensor was a BMW sensor, it has a warranty and in the US should have a 24 Month/Unlimited mileage warranty.

You mention the sensor is good, but if you tap it with a piece of metal your heard relays and the injectors clicking, this tells me the sensor is bad/microphonic.

If the sensor was not an OEM style/vendor sensor, I would get a quality sensor from BMW. I personally would not use Febi or Mayle sensors.

#13 · (Edited)
I have a 200 323 Ci, what hapenedone month ago is that my battery was dead, replaced it and unfortuneatelly I did it wrong I reversed the terminals and tried starting the engine, the engine of course didn't cranck...
This polarity reversal blew out my alternator -> replaced it.
After the alterternator swap, the engine still didn't crank up.

It finally cranked up after a BMW tech came and inspected that a wire coming into my Siemens ECU was melted, he also checked all my fuses and replaced the blown ones.
You likely have a wiring problem or something damaged inside the DME/ECU?

Was wiring repaired? Maybe some wiring was connected wrong?

You may have a problem like in this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=905043

Maybe there is other DME damage that will not be visible?

The sensors are obviously not the problem as the issue was there with both the old and new sensors and you had a serious mishap before this problem started.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.