E46 Fanatics Forum banner

e46 Convertible problem..!

46K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  huskyrossy 
#1 ·
Hi folks..i hope everybody is ok..
I've had my 03 convertible m3 for 2 years without a problem... i like to keep my car in my garage if the weather isn't good.. Today the weather was mostly sunny and i decided to drive it around in my town and put the top down.. when i was holding the button to put the top down it didnt work.. i tried it 10 times but it never worked.. :hmm::banghead:
did anybody have the same problem?? what should i do?
Please HELP ME!!:tsk::bawling:
Thank you..!

#7 ·
OK if the light is staying red and nothing is happening it sounds like the pump could be bad. It's located in the trunk on the left side behind the trim. It has some foam over it to keep you from hearing as much of it. From what I've heard its about $1500 to $2000 for the repair on the pump. I just had a line break on CiC in December and it was $1500 at an independent repair shop. The top may be in safe mode, this can only be found out by reading the computer. As much as I am a DIY type of guy, everything I've seen says take it to a good shop.

#9 ·
had an issue with my top last year...it would start but just unlock and not go anywhere. Have your hydraulic pump and lines checked. It cost me 450 Kuwaiti Dinar at the dealer(about $1600) to fix...they replaced the lines and the pump(the pump alone is almost $800)

#11 ·
I'm no expert on the mechanics of the convertible top. Actually, shame on me, I've owned this car 6 years now and never really took the time to familiarize myself with how the roof operates.

But... I have had several experiences with it not working. The flashing yellow light always happened when the storage compartment wasn't properly folded down. I did get a solid red one time. It happened when I tried to operate the top with the car in motion (it was starting to rain and I pushed the button to close it before coming to a complete stop.) Obviously there is a motion sensor that can stop the top from working. Maybe that could be the issue? If so, it would be cheaper to replace (I would think) than some of the other possibilities.

Just a thought.. good luck, and let us know what ultimately happens.

#12 ·
whats the problem with it bro??
i put the top down and drove home today.. when i got home the top didnt work again..i opened the trunk and closed it and tried it again..finally it worked...
WTF is wrong with it??
anyway thanks for your helping bro..

#13 ·
hey TUrk,

I have an 04 330cic and rebuilt it from a salvage title. The top drive mechanism/system was not damaged in the accident that rendered the car as salvage, but at different points while repairing the car, i had the same thing happen (red light come on & no top movement). Somehow the top moved or got out of position and would not operate until the next closest position switch was made. There are several position sensors that detect the top (when its near the full open/closed positions etc). On the two occaisions that this happend, I had to get the manual top wrench out and crank the top until the sensor was made, then it would work using the dash switch. You can read all of this in the owners manual (how to manually work the top).

mr

#19 ·
a couple of amateur thoughts on this...

my '02 car originally came w/ a temperature sensor that wouldn't allow the top to go down below 28 degrees. of course, it wouldn't allow it to go up either. so it got stuck down one winter morning when the temperature plummeted and the car had been sitting in the garage over the weekend.

took it straight to the dealer, where they removed (maybe bypassed) the sensor. those sensors are no longer used and the top works great.

also - since new, i've had the recurring problem of either the top not operating from the interior button - or not from the driver's door lock. if one doesn't work, the other will. being that it's an intermitent problem and that it doesn't register in the car's tracking computer, there's nothing that can be done. fine, because at least one way always works.

if you're lucky, it might be one of these two problems.

#20 ·
my top would not go down the other day - truck wasn't latched all the way.
slammed the truck, top goes down. same with the truck/glove box - glove box not shut tight, trunk wont open. sometimes trunk won't lock.
damn - still trying to get a handle on the sync issues in this car.

#22 ·
I have an other problem..

top won't roll up.. the led is blinking but there's no movement..

to make it work i've to unfold manually the top 'till a certanin point and then i can use te close button..

and everything work..
but when i try to roll it back it stops @ 3/4 and there were no way to close it.. i've had to remove the keys,let the sys.discharge and then lock the compartment by the torx between the seats...

Dealer already changed both haul sensors and the ecu, but nothing changed

check the video and give me your opinions

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=73oyrysr66c

#23 ·
+1 more 2000 323 went to open it today it dropped the window but nothing else. I am going to manually lock it and unlock at the front windshield torx. I will report findings tomorrow.

#24 ·
<-- subscribed

This sometimes happens to me, but it has always been fixed by just collapsing/expanding the storage compartment, closing the trunk, and press the opposite button of what I'm trying to do (i.e. If i'm trying to open it, I'd push the close button until it closes and then re-open).

I think in my case it may be related to my trunk release latch mechanism. Sometimes my trunk won't close, so I have to press the trunk release button again for it to "unjam" and then all is well. I get a feeling that most people have some time of "sensor" failure somewhere in the system, and not a pump problem.

Anyone have a Bentley manual?

#27 ·
Just recieved a call from the dealer..
and confirmed my worst nightmare..

After 2 days of testing they couldn't find where is the problem, they think that is related to the electric sys.
considering that ecu and haul sensors are ok ( they checked the top angle via Modic and every degree is correct)
they suppose that the problem is a shorted circuit in a wire somewhere..

if I want to procede they must dismantle the entire top and part of the car,charging me for this operation..

i've consdered to get an used ebay top for spares but the prices is around 1000€ (but i dont need the fabrics..only the wires,the line and the valves assembly)..

I dont' think that the game is worth the candle..

but at the same time i think that the labor fees will be quite high for the things they have to do for finding the problem..

Advices?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.