E46 Fanatics Forum banner

For those with a rear end thump.

16K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  eco10530 
#1 ·
Got mine fixed today. My shop replaced the differential mount bushing, part # 33-17-6-751-808. Both clutch pedal and gas pedal feel noticeably different now. The whole drivetrain seems to have tightened up. theres still a slight clunk going from 1st to 2nd, or 4th to 5th sometimes, but shifting noise has been reduced by about 90%.

#5 ·
$50 part, $200 labor.

What thump is this? I have a very distinct sound when my auto shifts from second to first, (or third to second actually) thats rather annoying. The car also raises up when its put into reverse, and is lowered a little when put into drive. Is this sort of the same thump? My 330 doesn't do this, but i just assumed it had something to do with it being newer or a manual and not that there was something wrong.
mine is a manual, and it would thump sometimes at a standstill, shifting from neutral to 1st. this would also happen occasionally while coasting and shifting from neutral to 2nd.

also, there was an audible clunk when shifting into pretty much every gear while driving.

#6 ·
$50 part, $200 labor.

mine is a manual, and it would thump sometimes at a standstill, shifting from neutral to 1st. this would also happen occasionally while coasting and shifting from neutral to 2nd.

also, there was an audible clunk when shifting into pretty much every gear while driving.
Sounds like a very worthwhile repair. Is there any risk from leaving it though? My list of things to do to this car keeps :censor: building up. control arm there, bushings everywhere, new tires, oil change and the list goes on:banghead:

#7 ·
Sounds like a very worthwhile repair. Is there any risk from leaving it though? My list of things to do to this car keeps :censor: building up. control arm there, bushings everywhere, new tires, oil change and the list goes on:banghead:
he said it could lead to subframe damage, but i'm not sure how long that would take. i need to do FCABs too lol. i've been putting it off for a good 6 months now.

#3 · (Edited)
What thump is this? I have a very distinct sound when my auto shifts from second to first, (or third to second actually) thats rather annoying. The car also raises up when its put into reverse, and is lowered a little when put into drive. Is this sort of the same thump? My 330 doesn't do this, but i just assumed it had something to do with it being newer or a manual and not that there was something wrong.

#4 ·
Acarder. I have pretty much the same car and same problem. Is yours an auto? I had my rear mount bushing replaced about 3k ago. Mine was about 50$ for the part and $250 labor (Canadian). That stopped the thumping that I was getting from the rear when I put the auto shifter from P-to-R. It got so bad that something sounded like it was snapping each time. But I still and recently have noticed more often, that sometimes when my auto downshifts when im coming to a stop sign it makes a slight thump from the rear on downshift (I think from 2nd to 1st, but it could be 3rd to 2nd). Its done it a couple more times recently. But doesnt seem to do it once the car id warmed (but not entirely sure on that). Anyone else know what it could be? Differential/fluid?

#9 ·
hmm, this is interesting. My car is a 328 auto and has done the big "clunk" when put in reverse since i got it a year ago. now my center support bearing is out on my driveshaft, i'm wonderin if the real problem is rear diff bushings? i'm kinda afraid of that. there are 3 rear diff bushings all together though right? they only replace one of yours?

#10 ·
No I wouldnt think subframe damage. As much as it is a problem on the 328i, I dont think its as big as people make it out to be. They just come to places like this to report it. Ive read that its more common in the coupes that are standard. Im worried about mine seeing as its a 328 but people have had it covered by BMW. Seeing as it should be a recal if its a safety concern.

#12 ·
Sounds good! I've booked an appointment to have my rear diff bushing replaced in a few weeks, along with welding in the TMS kit. Might make it difficult to isolate any improvement to either the bushing or the reinforcement, but at least it may help to rule out (or in) something like the center driveshaft bearing. Will chime in when I'm done.

#14 ·
Hi I recently purchased a Rear Diff TOOL for the rear diff bushing remove/install if anyone wants to rent it please send me a private message. Thanks!

#16 ·
Hello Team ... Has anyone located a "cheap" tool to remove/install the rear diff bushing ?
Looking in Bentleys this looks like an easy job, except getting the bushing removed and the new one installed.. Ugh..
That's the whole job! :lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.