E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW HPF full CARBON FIBER BMW E46 Hood GROUP BUY with AGRESSIVE STYLING - $1650

35K views 159 replies 60 participants last post by  Bdave 
#1 · (Edited)
HPF FULL Carbon Fiber BMW E46 Hood

We only build the best and our NEW HPF FULL CARBON FIBER BMW HOOD is no exception to that rule. Our extremely strong Carbon Fiber hood is being built by the same company that builds several of our NEW Carbon Fiber parts. For those who have received them, they will notice that they are EXTREMELY strong, EXTREMELY light, EXTREMELY thin, they fit PERFECT and the finish doesn't fade ever. They've been building extremely complex high quality carbon fiber parts for the aerospace industry for years and have also produced some remarkable hoods that I've seen that meet ALL the requirements listed below and then some. These parts have a much higher melting point as virtually no resin or fiberglass is used and they don't fade even in hotter climates with tons of sun.

The following are our requirements for the HPF BMW E46 Hood.

• It MUST work for most E46's.
  • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
  • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
  • It MUST be fade resistant
  • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
  • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications

Updates are coming soon. :)

Chris.

See less See more
#89 ·
Carbon Fibre parts never fit like OEM steel and I therefore consider them to be race only applications. Regarding vents, you want to provide a pathway for hot air to escape from underhood.

#90 · (Edited)
those hoods to me almost look like there should be some other add-ons to the car like ground effects. I would have liked to see them on some M3's too better judge how they'll look.

and while I'm throwing idea's around, did you ever think of mounting oil coolers or radiators in those vented area's and directing airflow through them from the front bumper air dams? Stage 7

#92 ·
You guys could literally make it look and function in any way you want and all of your designs are just the same boring symmetrical louvered vents that you can buy now from 10 other companies.
Why not have vents that integrate into the HPF intake system? Or have cooling specifically for the hot sections you get with the kit, integrate with the new ignition coil covers, aim cooling air down at the turbo, etc. Seems like you could be wasting an opportunity for making something unique to HPF, rather than rehashing the same double louver that has been out since the DTM car in 2002.

#98 ·
hood

I had my power dome on my hood just a little more pronounced by having a body line. I got the idea off of vorensteiner hood for the 330 i think?? I cant remember. I like the hoods HPF have, Im just not a fan of vents either, plus I had the front of the hood come down over the head lights a little. I like the aggressive clean look!

Attachments

#99 ·
I had my power dome on my hood just a little more pronounced by having a body line. I got the idea off of vorensteiner hood for the 330 i think?? I cant remember. I like the hoods HPF have, Im just not a fan of vents either, plus I had the front of the hood come down over the head lights a little. I like the aggressive clean look!
I love your hood! Thats the only hood I've ever seen for the E46 M3 that I really liked!

#104 · (Edited)
how about an oil cooler under the front center portion of the hood on top or just in front of the top of the Radiator. Make kidney grill inserts and rework that air plastic piece that went to the OEM air box to instead direct air straight through that oil cooler mounted right there under the hood. Have that air passing through the intercooler vent out a rectangular cut out in the hood. The oil cooler mounted at like a 45 degree angle and have a depression in the hood where the hood vent cut out lines up almost flush with the oil cooler.

kinda like this but further forward

#106 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm making my final decision by 1pm tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the direction I'm leaning after evaluating everything. I'm not going to be able to please everyone on this hood so my goal is to get the highest percentage of people wanting to buy it. So keep that in mind. I want to meet all of the requirements I mentioned and provide the highest quality hood on the market. Based on the feedback I've received I think I'm "not" going to have any side vents in the hood. They don't serve any "real" aerodynamic benefit, they allow water to get into the engine bay unless you block them off which is a pain to do and negates the benefit, and manufacturers aren't putting them into high performance cars either. I like the powerdome idea but I prefer the recessed look. So I'm thinking of making the center powerdome area follow the same lines as it does on the factory M3 but recessing the center section like it is on the HPF M3 with a vent for cooling that can be closed up if necessary. I'm also considering smoothing the sharp edges on line that goes from the front corner of the windshield to the kidney grill.

This is your last chance to help us with your feedback so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Chris.

#111 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm making my final decision by 1pm tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the direction I'm leaning after evaluating everything. I'm not going to be able to please everyone on this hood so my goal is to get the highest percentage of people wanting to buy it. So keep that in mind. I want to meet all of the requirements I mentioned and provide the highest quality hood on the market. Based on the feedback I've received I think I'm "not" going to have any side vents in the hood. They don't serve any "real" aerodynamic benefit, they allow water to get into the engine bay unless you block them off which is a pain to do and negates the benefit, and manufacturers aren't putting them into high performance cars either. I like the powerdome idea but I prefer the recessed look. So I'm thinking of making the center powerdome area follow the same lines as it does on the factory M3 but recessing the center section like it is on the HPF M3 with a vent for cooling that can be closed up if necessary. I'm also considering smoothing the sharp edges on line that goes from the front corner of the windshield to the kidney grill.

This is your last chance to help us with your feedback so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Chris.

Chris,

Thanks for making this process public, and giving enthusiasts the chance to participate in the design process.

Whatever you decide on, I think the focus on quality is going to sell more units than how it looks over time.

Nice idea for the central radiator venting.

#107 · (Edited)
Function is form. The manufactures aren't making 1000hp turbo kits either. Unless you want to compare a hpf car to a production car. The hood has to work from an engineering point of view. If it doesn't, it might as well be a sticker. This is just my opinion. You can drive without a hood in the rain. Is anyone buying this sh!t? If water could effect anything within your engine bay, everytime you drive in the rain you would be fvcked. Wake up!

#110 ·
There would be two types I would buy...a style similar to the vorsteiner with an accented power dome...or a complete OEM style with improvements such as strength, weight, etc...lots of people would want a carbon fiber OEM replica as...well it's like the OEM version except better lol. I do not like the idea of a recessed area.

Then again...I hear two power domes > all

#124 ·
large amounts of cool water on a running or even turned off but hot engine will cause microscopic fractures on the areas in contact with the water as they cool much more fast than the metal below those surfaces getting cooled by the water. Yes you can crack your block this way

#131 · (Edited)
large amounts of cool water on a running or even turned off but hot engine will cause microscopic fractures on the areas in contact with the water as they cool much more fast than the metal below those surfaces getting cooled by the water. Yes you can crack your block this way
No. Otherwise people couldn't drive in the rain.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: OMFG PEOPLE WAKE UP! Most drive up washers, spray the hell out of your car top bottom etc. Do you think for any reason if there is a possible chance to "crack a block" they would be in business, unlikely. In theory when you shut a car off. The temps will rise a bit, due to the coolant not being pushed through the block. Lets say you go to a diy car wash, on the fvcking dial it says engine cleaner. The same logic implied your car is hotter a few mins after shut down. Really? no :rolleyes:
False. Heat takes time to transfer, and the rate depends on variables like the material, the surface area, the temperature difference, etc... Once you shut off your car, you shut off your cooling system, and the hottest areas of the engine are now going to transfer energy to other parts of the engine. Sure, the cylinder walls may cool down, but the head, parts of the block and all the other cooled parts of the engine are going to heat up.

Also, saying all pressure washers work on your engine bay isn't smart. If you didn't know, some pressure washers blast right into concrete, and nothing plastic or rubber in your engine bay will hold up to that. Worse so than the connectors though, are all the bearings on the front of your engine. Get water inside a ball bearing and it's done for.

#125 ·
:lmao::lmao::lmao: OMFG PEOPLE WAKE UP! Most drive up washers, spray the hell out of your car top bottom etc. Do you think for any reason if there is a possible chance to "crack a block" they would be in business, unlikely. In theory when you shut a car off. The temps will rise a bit, due to the coolant not being pushed through the block. Lets say you go to a diy car wash, on the fvcking dial it says engine cleaner. The same logic implied your car is hotter a few mins after shut down. Really? no :rolleyes:

#129 ·
"The following are our requirements for the HPF BMW E46 Hood.
It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
It MUST work for most E46's.
It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
It MUST have venting on both sides
It MUST be fade resistant
It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
It MUST simply bolt on without modifications "

You said it, I am just agreeing with you. Maybe you weren't sure then? Maybe your not sure now? Maybe you don't know? :hmm:

#130 ·
I don't take my car to car washes like that.. my cars have all been hand washed since day one. But I wouldn't hesitate to take a STOCK car through a wash like that ... one with all the plastic barriers underneath/etc..

My concern is with using a POWER WASHER under the hood.. not the water itself.. I don't know what mickey mouse target martha stewart edition powerwasher you use but my power washer will take up tar even on its lowest setting.

In short to suggest/advise that people do that to a modern day car is pretty careless. Especially a highly modified one with aftermarket ecu, additional vacuum plumbing, etc..

#135 · (Edited)
Well I had to buy a refurbed engine in my Ford Bronco 2 back in 1994 that I personally cracked the engine in when I ran a hose directly onto the engine after driving it for sometime. This same truck I took mudding many many times, the same truck I drove through 20+ yard mud puddles in fields at speed and that was never a problem. However, as soon as the water stream from a hose hit the engine I heard a definitive crack that I'll never forget, and the engine was done. I guess I'll just take your word that it can't happen, even though it actually happened to me. I realize it's not likely to happen, but it definitely can, and I personally made this mistake myself.

Tell you what, why don't you go do some highway runs then when you get home and the motors still hot, try it yourself. Video tape the whole thing and we can see what happens with yours.

additionally, I'll write it again, you cannot compare washing your car or driving in rain to pouring water directly onto the engine.

#138 ·
Ever see videos of the fools on the news that try to cross a road during high water. They get a couple feet deep and their car stops running? Then the water keeps rising and sweeps their car away. Hmmm. Wonder why that happens, I thought all cars were waterproof?

#146 ·
IDK probably cause his post about him getting his car impound and he spend the night in jail. Cause he didn't do anything wrong? (Story didn't add up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.