E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Front Suspension Rattle

2K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  YaSureYouBetcha 
#1 ·
I just finished replacing a lot of my suspension (Rear shocks/coils, front struts/coils, control arms, fcab, and inner ball joint) and now I Have a rattle whenever I go over a decent bump in the road. What I'm wondering is, is there different torque specs for I models vs. XI?

I'm under the assumption that one of the components is still loose. I'm going to start by tightening down the strut hat nut a little more once I get a hold of the right size spark plug socket. besides that, do I have to remove the front axles for tighten the outer ball joints more?

#11 ·
On the sway bar link, there is a torx built into the end of the stud on the OE part. Otherwise hit it with an impact driver, if needed you can hold the stud by wedging a channel lock between the link and strut tower. Mine came out just by using the torx and a box end wrench after I loosened it up with the impact...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#20 · (Edited)
ok, fine, also says gearbox oil is lifetime and that we have to use a lock valve on our manual clutch. cops want me driving under 55, and my mom wishes i would go back to school:evil:

12 volt impact guys,, not a 100psi impact wrench,, thing barely does 10 newtons!! furthermore if you read my post, i finished torque with a 16 and a torx wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.