E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Loose Wobbling Noise when Cutting Wheel Right

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  biggamejames 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Sorry for the vagueness of this description, I am posting simply hoping that someone randomly has experienced this before. I started experiencing a weird "wobbling" noise on my rear left wheel (tire, other place in my wheel well, not sure) when I was driving, the wobbling noise went faster as I drove faster and slower as I went slower. Was worried, had a bad tire situation, so yesterday I bought 4 brand new tires and got an alignment,

Now the issue is a little more weird, when I am driving at any speed, if I turn left slightly or hard, the noise goes away, but if I turn right at all, even around a small curve, that noise comes out. It's fairly loud inside my car, and again it speeds up and slows down depending on how fast I am going. Any thoughts or suggestions I can check? On a skill level from 1-10 with my e46, I am like a 3 or 4. I am a new owner still working to learn all about this car

Thanks for any help!

#4 ·
Did you get the noise before or after the new tires?

If before the new tires, did the noise go away after the tires were installed? If yes, then you had a loose wheel.
If after the new tires, was the noise silent before the tires were installed? It yes, then you have a loose wheel.

Why would you go to a tire store, then come here and ask about noises that come after work has been done? Why not just go back to where they did the work and ask them to recheck the work they did? You are describing a loose wheel. Now that you are home, get your lug wrench out and see if the wheel bolts are loose.

#5 ·
I had the noise with the old tires- I figured it was a tire issue and I had old tires anyways so I switched em all out

So the noise has been there consistently. Here's some background

Bought the car used in june, previous owner didnt take great care of the car.

I had looked at the tires but didnt notice something that frustrated me a couple weeks ago-

The spare tire was on the rear right wheel.

I knew that a rather new tire was on the rear left wheel. And the front two tires were worn bad. I looked in the trunk and discovered the matching tire to the rear right sitting there- think it had a nail and was fixed but never placed back on the car (what the hell were they thinking?)

So I only noticed all this when that noise started forming. I changed all the tires, noise is still there. Am I screwed with a more serious issue? Something bent because of the different sized tire?

I'll check for wheel play

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.