E46 Fanatics Forum banner

19 inch staggered set up on 330xi

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Gottalovethexi 
#1 ·
Hey there. I found a set of 19 inch staggered for sale. They come off an M3. Buddy says they were on a 330i.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? I have to drive an our to go and see them. Don't care to waste my time if this set up is a bad idea for an xi

#2 ·
I'm selling the exact set you're referring to.
You're local to me. If you need a set, mine have decent tires and very little rash. Great condition.

Now, they will look good, but remember the roads you drive on. The bigger the wheel, the less tire you have to absorb the bumps and potholes.
With a replica 19" wheel I would be weary. With Genuine BMW wheels it's less of a worry about bending or cracking one of them.

If you're interested, let me know by private message.

#6 ·
Using a staggered set up on an XI requires that the overall diameters of the front and rear tire/wheel combination be within 1% of each other, in other words, they need to be the exact same diameter or else you will cause an imbalance between the diffs and transfer case caused by different rotating speeds of different diameter tires and wheels.

Not sure why you'd want to go Plus 3 in the first place, much less a Plus 3 staggered set up. In most cases, the Plus 3 tire/wheel weight will be more than that of a Plus 1 package (17 inch) and that weight is rotational weight which actually detracts from performance, is harder on tire life and suspension parts.

I would save your money and get a good set of Plus 1 tires and wheels.

#8 ·
I run Plus 1, 17 inch wheels in the spring, summer and fall on my '03 325xi and the oem 16 inch with snow tires in the winter and I run 17 inch on my '03 330xi sport year round, using summer and winter tires. Biggest I'd ever go is a Plus 1 size, unless you are spending the money to put larger brakes on, because big wheels showing lots of space between the rotors and the wheels isn't cool to me. In my opinion, the open space behind the wheel should be filled or also filled with brake rotor for the best look, i.e. 20 inch wheels on a Honda with the stock rotors looks like hell, lol.

Really, I'd stay away from the staggered set-up even though there are some here that use it for summer tires. The square set-up is the best and it also allows you to rotate tires and wheels every 5k miles for longer life and better wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.