E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  das_autobahn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#13,642 ·
My car freaked out on the drive this morning :( I was coasting downhill when all my gauges shut off and went to zero for about 2-3 seconds. Everything reset itself - the time, my trip meter, MPG, avg mph. The engine, lights and radio all stayed on.

My radar detector was showing 14.5-14.6V most of the way. Isn't that on the high side? It's usually on the low side of 14V.

#13,643 ·
My car freaked out on the drive this morning :( I was coasting downhill when all my gauges shut off and went to zero for about 2-3 seconds. Everything reset itself - the time, my trip meter, MPG, avg mph. The engine, lights and radio all stayed on.

My radar detector was showing 14.5-14.6V most of the way. Isn't that on the high side? It's usually on the low side of 14V.
Might wanna replace that VR and battery!!! :woot:

#13,646 ·
I'm not sure how accurate your radar detector is but I'd probably read the cluster voltage. I thought the voltage should be 14.4. Maybe the brushes could have momentarily lost contact at the alternator? I would do this stuff anyway as PM.
It's pretty accurate believe it or not :D I would've if I remembered what number it is in the menu lol Idk, my gut is saying its the VR but I want to be sure before I start tossing parts at it. I can't imagine there's a short anywhere but it did just rain so if there were one, it would be more likely to become apparent.

#13,647 ·
It's pretty accurate believe it or not :D I would've if I remembered what number it is in the menu lol Idk, my gut is saying its the VR but I want to be sure before I start tossing parts at it. I can't imagine there's a short anywhere but it did just rain so if there were one, it would be more likely to become apparent.
well if your VR hasn't failed yet, it will soon. so it's one part worth "tossing" at it.

#13,653 ·
interesting. seems like its a cluster thing. wonder where this speedometer sensor is?
Freaky stuff huh?

Is it in/on the transmission? :dunno:

#13,656 ·
My radar detector consistently reads -0.2V compared to the cluster. I decided to test it just for fun in the garage. My cluster read 14.8V at idle. Maybe an unrelated problem.

#13,658 ·
Have you compared these results with a multi-meter?
I did back when I was hardwiring it. I don't remember the outcome. I don't think it was too far off though. Maybe I'll check this weekend if I get bored enough.