E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2001 325i Power Steering Pump replacement - advice, please!

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MercForHire 
#1 ·
So I have a new (to me) 2001 325i daily driver with 104K miles on it.

The power steering pump has bitten the dust. (It's making knocking noises, very heavy steering, vibrations, etc.) It's a LUK LF30.

I've read a bunch about LF20 (less boost, better feel) vs. LF30 (more boost, lighter steering). I can't really tell the condition of the existing high pressure hose. I am planning on replacing the hoses and reservoir when I replace the pump.

So here's my question - Do I go with the straight LF30 replacement, or, since I'm changing the hoses anyway, get an LF20?

Next - there are many used LF30s floating around. There are also a whole bunch of aftermarket and rebuilt replacement parts available. I wouldn't go used LF20, but again, there are a whole bunch of aftermarket and remans floating around.

Any specifically good sellers/brands? Any to stay away from? $$$ are a significant issue currently, and OEM doesn't seem to be all that great, anyway...

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
You've checked the PS fluid level already? Is the fluid a nice clean pink? Have you tried bleeding it by turning it to full stop 3Xs...all the way right and left?

You probably don't need all the hoses at all, OP, if the pump is bad. It's not a bad idea, but it's a lot of work and $ you probably don't need to spend. All my PS hoses are original except for two. Also, you probably don't need a reservoir, despite everyone here thinking you do. You can clean up the vent tube and replace the gasket...then just get new clamps to replace the factory clamps.

Anyway, check your fluid level. Should come to the second fine line on reservoir cap when cold.

Sorry IDK the answer to the question about the pump, but if you use advanced/title search for PS Pump, I'm sure you'll find your answer.

#6 ·
If you switch to lf20 you will need different pressure hoses to fit and best to replace clamps with jubilee clips. i tried the new and improved bmw clamps and they were crap too, mabe my hose rubber had gone hard but jubilee clips tighten to how much u need - get 2 20mm ans 1 13mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.