E46 Fanatics Forum banner

JL Audio XR speakers any good

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dt32569 
#1 ·
Do you think that the JL Audio XR speakers are competitive to the market's top end speakers. I know JL Audio produce some good subs and amps, but I am not too happy with their XR series.

What are some good speakers that are way better than the XR series?

#4 ·
Do you have a sub in the trunk as well? If not, you might consider dropping the coaxials entirely and putting JL Stealthboxes in them.

If you want to go better than JL, and money isn't an issue, you could look into Diamonds, Focals, maybe /a/d/s...

#7 ·
Although it is most likely a personal choice issue, what exactly do you find wrong w/ the coaxials? It could be that you expect them to perform in a way they weren't meant for (ie: they're NOT subs..)

gear_bag said:
Well, I have the 3-way components mounted in the front door (custom job) and those sound great. I have the 2-way coaxil mounted on the rear deck and that is the problem. I am using a JL amp 300/4 to push them. They are all the XR series.

#8 ·
Here are some speakers that people have found better than the JL Audio XR series:

Rainbow Reference Series
Dynaudio 220s
a/d/s 3-series
Focal Utopias (people love 'em or hate 'em...I hate 'em)
CDT ES & HD series

#10 · (Edited)
Jls are great

They have come a long way since they came out. I auditioned them against MB Quarts back in 93 when I put a system in my Supra and the Quarts won hands down. Since then the JLs have really improved. I have audiophile equipment in my home and am happy with the JL TR series in my car...with my JL amp and the system EQd of course. THe XRs are good stuff. Good Xovers.
I would have to say I am not sure ADS are BETTER..but equal. Dynaudios and Focals are most likely better in many cases, but speakers are very subjective.
For example, I auditioned Paradigm Studio Ref 100 towers vs B&W 603 s2 vs Studio Ref 80s. Liked the 80s better, but liked the soundstage on the 100s. Audiophile said the 100s were their #2 pic...but guess what..to MY ears..the upper midrange was too harsh! So......Even the supposed BEST speakers only sound good to people they SOUND GOOD TO. (and for comparison I also auditioned a pair of B&W 20k Signature 800 speakers, playing through a pair of Krell monoblocks that run about 18k for the 2..so I have heard the best of the best :) )
Have fun with your JLs :)
PS - the company is great with Tech support. EVERY time I email them in 3 days I get a very informative answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.