E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Should I switch to e46 M3?

7K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  katu 
#1 ·
First time posting but I have a feeling i'll be on this site a little more often. If you guys had a mint '05 (76k miles) ZHP would you guys sell it and get a 100k mile '01-'04 M3? My friends have been telling me to just keep the ZHP and boost but I have always wanted an e46 M3 but I'm a little concerned about getting one with 100k miles. Other than routine maintenance and the rod bearing "service call", is there anything else I should be worried about? I know buying a used car there are risks but i'd rather not be at the shop once a month especially considering my car now is perfectly fine. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
An M3 is no doubt a better car then a non-m, I previously had a 330ci and went to the M3 and love every second of it. If it were me in your shoes I would certainly go to the M3 so long as everything was in order. You can find M3's with 100k+ on them that are in near perfect condition. Trust me when I tell you that you will not regret the switch. Once you drive an M3 and really see what it can do you will realize no boosted non-m will even compare.

#37 · (Edited)
An M3 is no doubt a better car then a non-m, I previously had a 330ci and went to the M3 and love every second of it. If it were me in your shoes I would certainly go to the M3 so long as everything was in order. You can find M3's with 100k+ on them that are in near perfect condition. Trust me when I tell you that you will not regret the switch. Once you drive an M3 and really see what it can do you will realize no boosted non-m will even compare.
so true :thumbsup:

i would keep the zhp then upgrade later to something newer. the m3 is a beast but downgrading to 100k miles from a mint zhp? no. even my 135 eats the e46 m3 for breakfast
A properly maintained ///M by an enthusiast is not downgrading by any means :tsk: I wouldn't put it like that...

It all depends on how well the ///M has been maintained....if it's been abused then by all means stay away but if it has been well maintained then there's nothing to worry about but you need to keep in mind that you are going into an ///M w/o factory or extended warranty so it is important to get a PPI done on the car and know what maintenance items you need to address ahead of you...

OP, take a look at M3Forum.net as well as the M3 section here in this forum to get more info before making the final decision. I would say that, if you can, keep the ZHP and get the ///M as your second car. Having both is awesome and there are times when you can just take the ///M out for a spin when you want the power and then take the ZHP as your daily driver...:thumbup:

The 135 is a nice car, fast and fun car to drive but still....not an ///M. Yes stock the 135 eats the ///M but that's because it's lighter and has FI. Slapping FI on the S54 and it will be a different story...

#5 ·
When I first started my car search I was looking for a zhp. Then I thought I would test drive an m3 for the hell of it. And I am now a proud owner of an m3.

#8 · (Edited)
if you can afford it i would switch.... but make sure you have it looked over, Also get a month unlimited of Autocheck or carfax... carfax you can do unlimited but its only unlimtted by entering a plate, which if your looking private party thats good.. otherwise you only get 5 Vin checks on carfax... autocheck is unlimited vins

#9 ·
I just got out of a mint zhp, with 60k and hopped into an m3 with 90k and what a effin difference!!! I will always remember the good times I had with my zhp since I did put 95% of the miles on it in 5 years, but I'm completely happy with my decision.. There are things that you will need to get used to though... If you like a quiet car than stay in the zhp... The m3 is just loud, obnoxious, and just an out right animal... I say go for it..

#26 ·
There are things that you will need to get used to though... If you like a quiet car than stay in the zhp... The m3 is just loud, obnoxious, and just an out right animal...
this, the M3 isn't for everyone. although a much better car, drive one to be sure it's what you like.
Keep in mind that parts are twice as much for an m3. That's just the cold hard truth.
Look up part numbers that will need replacing at some point such as a radiator. Twice as much. If that's not a factor for you go for it. If you can't afford a random $2000 thing breaking, don't.
Some parts can be more expensive but not majority. sure it's something to consider but it's nowhere like exotic (Ferrari) parts.
Shut the fvck up.
so many others share your sentiment. :clap:
just ignore the Village Idiot, he always posts nonsense.

#10 ·
Keep in mind that parts are twice as much for an m3. That's just the cold hard truth.
Look up part numbers that will need replacing at some point such as a radiator. Twice as much.

If that's not a factor for you go for it. If you can't afford a random $2000 thing breaking, don't.

#17 ·
Lol I know if I test drive the M3 I will definitley want it even more than I do now. I guess my real concern is how often does the infamous $2000 repairs pop up? As far as brakes, oil and tires I can understand the M3 is twice as much with that maintenance and thats fine. How often are these "inspections/valve adjustments"? The whole sub-frame issue worries me but I will definitly be getting the PPI done when I get serious on a particular M3 so I should have an idea about where that stands. All in all i need the M3 to last at least 20-25k miles for the next 5 years til i can get another car for daily use since its the wifes turn to finance her Tribecca next summer.

#19 ·
BMW recommends valve adjustments on the S54 every 30,000 miles. Noone can tell you definitively how often the car will break. That's on a case to case basis and completely dependent on how the car has been driven and maintained. If you're familiar with the rod bearing recall, VANOS issues, subframe issue, valve adjustments, and SMG problems, you can use that info to make an informed decision when buying one.

#23 ·
My original plan was to keep the ZHP til my wife is done paying off her vehicle and then sell/trade the ZHP towards the 1M. Although me finding a decent 1M for $40k could be tricky still in 5 years. So my plan now is to sell the ZHP in the spring(fully paid off) for around $17-16k, save an extra $2k and get a decent e46 M3(1 or 2 owner, manual, accident free n less than 100k miles). Use that for my daily driver(I literally drive less than 4k miles/year) for the next 5 years and then finance the new 135is thats coming out this fall and keep the e46 M3. Would have got the e46 M3 when i financed the ZHP but insurance was outrageous so I couldn't.

#24 ·
Drive one and you will be hooked. I made that mistake when my friend bought one and I drove it. After that I wanted to sell my 330 and buy one which I eventually did.

If the car has good history with it and paperwork to back up work on the car then its a good buy. 100k although its high if a car is maintained well, mileage doesn't matter. You get cars out there that have say half the mileage but sparse work done on the car. What would you rather?

Bear in mind as mentioned parts are more expensive as you will pay the "M tax" on parts and servicing isn't cheap as valve clearances are done on Inspection 1 & 2 which is were a lot of the cost comes from.

I don't know what car values are like where you are but if its going for a good price consider it! :)

#46 ·
Lol, I wouldn't be going into the M3 totally blind. The PPI is definitly getting done and I'm also going to look for one who has the service records during that current owners time with it. She knows i've always wanted the e46 M3, considering I wont be financing a 10 year old car and I won't be piling up the miles it shouldn't be too rough. I think she might be really sad its not automatic. I may have to get the 135is in automatic so she can have a little fun.

#48 ·
Based on my experience, PPIs aren't 'all that much.' A lot of the stuff they can't inspect, per se, and honestly, a shop has an incentive and a bias to want you to buy the car...at least in many cases they do. You need a shop 'you' can trust...not one local to seller that maybe he recommends. A shop you know will want you to buy a car that they can fix! LOL

Also, sorry, but the enemy you know is safer than the one you don't know.

PPIs won't tell you how much oil is being burned, when you'll need a new cooling system, etc...there will be many unknowns from a PPI...even though almost every car is rebuildable, it's hard to say just how much work needs to be done to get it correct.

Also, hate to say, but test driving a new car, like M, you'll be blown away by the power and be hard pressed to be objective enough to notice other aspects of the car...coz you'll want it to be the one so bad. Just be careful and be objective...

#49 ·
Personally I would keep the ZHP, because I find it more aesthetically pleasing. The M3 is nice, but only if you're coming from a 323ci, not a 330ci ZHP.

I personally would RATHER have the ZHP, but then I'm a person that likes power but am bigger with how much I like the car's looks. ZHP has plenty of power plus looks better, imo. And newer.

#51 ·
Personally I would keep the ZHP, because I find it more aesthetically pleasing. The M3 is nice, but only if you're coming from a 323ci, not a 330ci ZHP.
I personally would RATHER have the ZHP, but then I'm a person that likes power but am bigger with how much I like the car's looks. ZHP has plenty of power plus looks better, imo. And newer.
hmm...i previously had a 323Ci that with personal mods looked even better than the 330-zhp and i still went with the M3.
the M3 is much more than looks, the performance is so much better from the lower ratio 3.62 LSD to the 8,000 rpm rev limited oil-cooler cooled S54 individual throttle bodied engine. the chassis is re-inforced in many areas over the non-M coupe too (often over looked).

but to each their own. BMW made these models with a different market driver in mind. so one is a better fit than the other for each individual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.