E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

E46Fanatics Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

600K views 3K replies 547 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, installation and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

Product Description:

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your BMW. CD-quality sound and controls from your radio, steering wheel or the iPod. Always keeps your iPod charged and ready to go.

The DICE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your BMWs radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song title and Album name!

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable, allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector.

Our hard-wired kit connects right to the cd changer connectors already present in your BMW. The DICE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through a dock cable or our upcoming video cradle.

New features of DICE iPod Integration kit include:

iPod is now fully unlocked while connected to DICE integration kit. You are allowed full access of your iPod's features as well as the following browsing options:

- Album Selection
- Song Selection
- Playlist Selection
- Chapter Selection (Audible/Audiobooks)

You can browse your iPod with the steering wheel, radio or Navigation buttons and the iPod (or any combination of the three) without booting into separate modes. Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for the user to still rate songs and create "on the go" playlists.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

ID3 text output

- Features Song Title/Artist and Album information on your Navigation or Radio Display.

Charging Control

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Models Supported:

1996-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for i-Drive models)*
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
09/1998-2001 7 series
2004-2006 X3
2000-2006 X5
1996-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2006 Z4
2000-2003 Z8
2003-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S

* pre 1999 vehicles and Business Cassette do not have ID3 text support.

Compatible for both Navigation and Business CD/Cassette vehicles. Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 90 minutes.

DICE installation supplement for BMW: http://support.diceelectronics.com/files/bmw_install.pdf

DICE User instructions for BMW: http://support.diceelectronics.com/files/users_manual_rev_B01.pdf

See less See more
#127 ·
BMW Nav - No Text

I recently traded my 2002 330ci in for a 2005 M3. The 330ci had an IceLink Plus that I installed so I purchased a Dice upgrade for the M3. I tried everything I could find on this board and others to see text but no luck. Finally, I removed the IceLink Plus firmware upgrade codes from my iPod and everything now works as it should.

#132 ·
Tom, just installed the DICE unit and I have a few questions:

I have a Ipod 5th Gen with 1.1.2 Firmware

1.) When first plugging the Ipod into the DICE unit, the Dension logo does not come up on the ipod at all. I thought I read somewhere on E46Fanatics that it should. Should it?

2.) After plugging the Ipod into the DICE unit and then trying to use the Business CD player, I noticed that the DICE unit tries to remember what was last played in the CAR, rather than was last played on the ipod. This is really frustrating because you lose count on what previously listened to. Is this right?

3.) With my order I had also purchased the ground loop insulator that you sell. I am not getting engine/alternator whine like other people are report. Could I get an RMA # to return this?

Thanks so much!

Jeff

#133 ·
Tom, just installed the DICE unit and I have a few questions:

I have a Ipod 5th Gen with 1.1.2 Firmware

1.) When first plugging the Ipod into the DICE unit, the Dension logo does not come up on the ipod at all. I thought I read somewhere on E46Fanatics that it should. Should it?
No logo will come up, just the checkmark screen and "INIT" on the radio display.

2.) After plugging the Ipod into the DICE unit and then trying to use the Business CD player, I noticed that the DICE unit tries to remember what was last played in the CAR, rather than was last played on the ipod. This is really frustrating because you lose count on what previously listened to. Is this right?
This is normal, the "placeholder" is removed once the iPod is removed from the vehicle.

3.) With my order I had also purchased the ground loop insulator that you sell. I am not getting engine/alternator whine like other people are report. Could I get an RMA # to return this?

Thanks so much!

Jeff
Sure - email me your request and I'll send over the RMA.

#142 ·
DICE Issues - Assistance please!

Dave
Hey there. Purchased your DICE kit for my 2001 330i and my iPod mini 2 weeks ago. Installation went just fine but performance issues have come up.

1. When I start my car my music doesn't resume.

2. When I start my car I get a disconnected message even though the iPod is connected.

3. Not sure If I just missed this in other posts, but does DICE support playlist name tags in the playlist menu or do I just go by the number displayed?

4. Sometimes the start-up "INIT" message doesn't go away?

Great product otherwise and if I get these issues squared away, I'll be even happier.

Thanks

HEX_

#143 ·
Dave
Hey there. Purchased your DICE kit for my 2001 330i and my iPod mini 2 weeks ago. Installation went just fine but performance issues have come up.

1. When I start my car my music doesn't resume.

2. When I start my car I get a disconnected message even though the iPod is connected.

3. Not sure If I just missed this in other posts, but does DICE support playlist name tags in the playlist menu or do I just go by the number displayed?

4. Sometimes the start-up "INIT" message doesn't go away?

Great product otherwise and if I get these issues squared away, I'll be even happier.

Thanks

HEX_
Sounds like the kit didn't properly initialize with the vehicle when installed - was the battery disconencted or fuses pulled? This is not only a safety step - but critical for the BMW to recognize the device properly.

Here's what I recommend:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem.

#144 ·
tom,

So far the kit has been working pretty good. I only have it hooked only in the trunk until I get a chance to run the wiring. Plus I figured I could do my testing easier this way.

The only problems I seem to be having is:
1) Pressing the buttons twice to issue a command, which is a know issue I think.

2) The Ipod does not pause and go into standby when the radio is turned off. It does work properly when I switch to the radio, in-dash CD or turn the car off.

any idea's

Josh

#147 ·
Both of these are known issues on 00-01 Blaupunkt manfactured units. In order to have the iPod "pause", you will need to turn off the radio or switch to a different source (AM/FM) before turning the vehicle off.

#146 ·
The kit includes everything needed for the job - you just need an iPod and a BMW. For a stealth installation, the iPod can go into the sunglass holder, glovebox or eurotray.

#148 ·
So I was looking in the back of my trunk to confirm I had the correct connection and rather than the 2 connectors I found that I have a single one that is 22 pin?

I have no idea what this means. On my trunk lid it says that my car is prewired for BMW CD... But I'm not seeing anything that looks like the pictures I've seen.

Any help?

#153 ·
#155 ·
hey Tom, just receieved my DICE kit yesterday. I have an 04 M3 with Nav and the latest firmware on my ipod. When I go to switch to the next track whether if its from the steering wheel, the nav unit, or the ipod itself. The song will begin with a hiccup within the first few seconds of the song. Another thins is whenever I go and turn on my ignition the nav unit will say INIT and the song will play but the INIT doesn't go away unless I hit Disc 1. Is this normal? Thanks!

#157 ·
Two things to check:

1. Were the battery cables or radio fuses pulled during installation? If not, this never gives the BMW a chance to initialize the DICE module.
2. What Generation iPod and firmware version are you running on the iPod?

#171 ·
Tom I am having the same problem with my setup. I sent you a email yesterday with what I am seeing. I disconnected the battery last night and got 1 song to work before it started doing it again. It almost seems that my DICE is somehow stuck in the Aux mode. I came to work this morning and played with the settings. I am now on the INIT mode and my IPOD will light up and says it is playing a song but nothing. I get the Pause mode also and I try to select a song, artist-all, etc with no output. I am here in Long Beach and if you want me to come over to help you test this out I can. Meanwhile I will try one more battery disconnect and reboot the IPOD one more time..

#173 ·
Tom,

I have an interesting question. Is there anyway to have both the iPod and the AUX active at the same time? I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that is a little tough to hear over the road noise and music and was wondering if there was a way to plug it into the AUX port and hear both my music and the Garmin directions at the same time.

Thanks!

#179 ·
02 M3 Ipod Photo Dice install issue

Hi, I just installed my Dice kit using the instructions for the e46 coupe. I am unable to get the business cd to recognize my Ipod. The fw on the it is 1.2.1. I pulled the fuses before install. I think i've done everything by the book. I am able to get the head unit to go the CD changer mode which of course was not the case prior to the install, so this tell me that the head unit now recognizes a cd change. The dice unit feels warm so seem like something has happened. The first time when I went to CD change mode, disc 01 track 01 flashed on the unit and then it read detached. I then proceeded to reboot the ipod and plugged it back and turned on the head unit. This time it just blinks disc and track number and goes back to the time. Some assistance would be appreciated.

#182 ·
It would sound like there is a bad conenction between the iPod and the docking cable or the docking cable and the DICE module. Recheck your connections to be sure.

Also, remove any protective sleeves from the iPod in case it is blocking the dock conenctor port.

#186 ·
For those who have a significant lag time (mine was ~5 seconds if I wanted to change tracks right away), I found a solution to reduce it to a 1-2 second lag.

I uploaded both firmware versions of the icelink update, namely v2.07 and v2.b2, into my video iPod. This reduced the lag time between track changes to near minimum.

I hope this helps some of you!

Ice>link v2.07:http://www.densionusa.com/support_files/icelink_plus_fw_v207.zip

Ice>link v2.b2:http://www.densionusa.com/support_files/ice_link_2b2.zip

#189 ·
A constant INIT message would tell me your firmware is old or that the DICE is not communicating with the iPod.

Here's what I recommend:

3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem. If not, we'll need to know the firmware and generation of your iPod.

#194 ·
TRUNK IPOD problem

Im having problem locating a 6 pin wire in my trunk. I FOUND THE 3 pin but along with the three pin was just a Purple harness with a Single pin plug. Please advice somebody. I need to fix this by MONDAY.

Also I wanted to know where some of you mount the actual Interface Module?

And where do you run the wire to have the ipod in the center console.

Thanks

#195 ·
Im having problem locating a 6 pin wire in my trunk. I FOUND THE 3 pin but along with the three pin was just a Purple harness with a Single pin plug. Please advice somebody. I need to fix this by MONDAY.

Also I wanted to know where some of you mount the actual Interface Module?

And where do you run the wire to have the ipod in the center console.

Thanks

You are looking at the wrong set of connectors - we have detailed installation manuals at this link:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/support-center/index.php

#196 ·
Alright I found the correct one. Thanks on that.

Another problem is that I can't hear any of the music after I connect the wires to the ipod and the module.

I am using a Nano ipod. I don't what is wrong wiht the audio. All connections seem to be fine.

Please advise.

Thanks.

#198 ·
I've been so busy the past 3 weeks Tom, I tried calling you a couple times I think I left a message once. I wanted to see if you could help me with the hiccup issue. Do you recommend doing the disconnect battery steps and leave disconnected for 5-7 min? I tried menu + center reset, doesn't help. But I noticed the hiccup, sometimes the ipod just stalls and no sound comes out. Any input? Thanks

2004 330i w/navi & assist, no bluetooth

I also noticed another bug, I'm not sure if this was addressed. When I have it on shuffle songs mode, and say I'm over in the hundreds already, I turn off the car, then turn it on when I get back in, the car doesn't recognize the number of the song or the title, so I have to change the songs via ipod. I'm not sure if that's a bug or maybe also related to my hiccup issue. But otherwise titles come up and everything, it's mainly the hiccup that I'm concerned about. Thanks

#199 ·
I've been so busy the past 3 weeks Tom, I tried calling you a couple times I think I left a message once. I wanted to see if you could help me with the hiccup issue. Do you recommend doing the disconnect battery steps and leave disconnected for 5-7 min? I tried menu + center reset, doesn't help. But I noticed the hiccup, sometimes the ipod just stalls and no sound comes out. Any input? Thanks
If power was never disconnected during the initial installation, I recommend the following:

Removing the battery cables is critical to initialization, not just a safety step.

I also noticed another bug, I'm not sure if this was addressed. When I have it on shuffle songs mode, and say I'm over in the hundreds already, I turn off the car, then turn it on when I get back in, the car doesn't recognize the number of the song or the title, so I have to change the songs via ipod. I'm not sure if that's a bug or maybe also related to my hiccup issue. But otherwise titles come up and everything, it's mainly the hiccup that I'm concerned about. Thanks
The song number doesn't always point to the exact position in the playlist in shuffle mode, since the iPod is randomizing. As for the pausing, try removing the battery cables to see if that fixes the issue.

#200 ·
I'm pretty sure me and my friend disconnected the battery before installation, but I'll do this procedure when I get a chance, will let you know if it solves the problem, thanks again Tom

#205 ·
couple of questions on this unit:
1. I read somewhere if i have bmw assist/bluetooth that this device will not work... is there any truth to this?
2. Will the ipod automatically turn off once i shut the engine off?

3. How does this DICE unit compare to the ICELINK... i would rather have it in my glovebox and the icelink unit seems to have a cradle which i do not want exposed

#206 ·
1. Not true, the DICE is fully compatible with Assist/Bluetooth.
2. Yes, the iPod will pause and go into a sleep state.
3. The DICE features a docking cable, you can easily tuck this away in the glovebox or sungless holder out of view.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

#208 ·
also what is the difference between the icelink and dice units? if you had to choose a better one which would it be?

i only ask because they are the same price on your website... also are there any "e46fanatics member discounts" ?
We have a comparison of the two kits at this link: http://www.europeanautosource.com/ipod_matrix.php

The ice>Link kits are already at $20 off retail, let me know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.