E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner?

15K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  aggieE46 
#1 ·
My check engine soon light is on. I went to the shop and they told me air flow sensor and idle control is dead. I read some posts here and they sugest to clean the sensor first. I went to pepboys and found lots of CRC cleaner but I could not find the thing called "CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner". Where can I find the thing? If there is no such place to buy it, can I use some other cleaner instead?
There are air intake cleaner, QD electronic cleaner, carburetor cleaner. Which one should I use? Thanks a lot:bow:

#2 ·
bigbiggirl said:
My check engine soon light is on. I went to the shop and they told me air flow sensor and idle control is dead. I read some posts here and they sugest to clean the sensor first. I went to pepboys and found lots of CRC cleaner but I could not find the thing called "CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner". Where can I find the thing? If there is no such place to buy it, can I use some other cleaner instead?
There are air intake cleaner, QD electronic cleaner, carburetor cleaner. Which one should I use? Thanks a lot:bow:

don't waste your $$. MAF sensor works or it doesn't.

#7 ·
Ivegotissues666 said:
Do you have rough idle upon startup sometimes stuttering and very poor acceleration? And once you get driving everything seems A-Ok?
When I am driving, everythings fine. When I start the car, I cannot tell big difference.
But if I stop at a traffic light for too long, the car is shaking.
OR if I go into a store to buy something but leave the car running for several minutes, when I get back, the car will be shaking and after I drive at a higher speed, it runs well again.

#9 ·
Ivegotissues666 said:
I'm with you, either that or it's another fault code. From my experience with a bad MAF sensor it is really noticeale other than just a CEL.

Let me ask this what shop did you go to and are they reputable I would get the code reread possibly somewhere else.
bmw dealership.
Do you think I should try to clean it first instead of replacing it? Really don't want to pay $3xx to get a new one. Thanks

#11 ·
Ivegotissues666 said:
Could possibly be a bad MAF sensor go to a local autozone and get the PXXXX code I think the MAF sensor code is P0101. You could try using alcohol 100%. I've been meaning to try to clean my old one to see if it would work but never have gotten around to it.
I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the MAF sensor. I paid $100 and had it checked at the dealership on my birthday. The damn thing died right on my birthday! They told me the sensor is not sensing correctly. And they gave me a $1000 bill to replace the sensor and idle control. I felt like screw it and went to Atlantic city. That's the whole story.
Now lets go back to the cleaner question. I read about the CRC cleaner. I really have no idea which kind of cleaner I should use. Is there big difference among those cleaner?

#12 ·
bigbiggirl said:
I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the MAF sensor. I paid $100 and had it checked at the dealership on my birthday. The damn thing died right on my birthday! They told me the sensor is not sensing correctly. And they gave me a $1000 bill to replace the sensor and idle control. I felt like screw it and went to Atlantic city. That's the whole story.
Now lets go back to the cleaner question. I read about the CRC cleaner. I really have no idea which kind of cleaner I should use. Is there big difference among those cleaner?
I really have never tried the cleaner before so I can't be positive, but I would assume to use the "CRC electronic one" . You said there was one labeled that? The sensor is a little flimsy peice of metal, so I wouldn't spray it on there directly for it might damage it more. I would try the alcohol method rubbing alcohol if you can't find any of the 100% stuff people say is floating around. I would soak the MAF sensor in it. This is so I've read from somewhere sorry I can't remember the source.

You may also check on ebay for a used MAF sensor I picked one up for $50 one time. Been running fine ever since.

#13 ·
Ivegotissues666 said:
I really have never tried the cleaner before so I can't be positive, but I would assume to use the "CRC electronic one" . You said there was one labeled that? The sensor is a little flimsy peice of metal, so I wouldn't spray it on there directly for it might damage it more. I would try the alcohol method rubbing alcohol if you can't find any of the 100% stuff people say is floating around. I would soak the MAF sensor in it. This is so I've read from somewhere sorry I can't remember the source.

You may also check on ebay for a used MAF sensor I picked one up for $50 one time. Been running fine ever since.
Have you ever cleaned the sensor your way? did it help? or you just bought a used one and replaced it? thanks.

#16 ·
does anyone have any PICTURES of how to get to the MAF sensor? ...
i'm thinking about replacing my air filter... and if i'm going to be doing that... i might as well take a look at the MAF sensor
because i'm getting fault code P1100 MAF Intermittant

#17 ·
yea if u went to pepboys the cleaner is called crc QD Electronic cleaner that happened to my car and that worked thanks to another member on here do that first if that doesnt work get the maf. but remember disconnect the battery first and let the thing dry good i let it dry for like 30 mins to be really good and it worked:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Its called CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. It is a grey/silver can. I'd at least try that instead of spending $300 on a new MAF sensor.

Usually, cars with aftermarket intakes have problems with dirty MAF sensors from to the filter oil.

#24 ·
CRC MAF cleaner is carried at Advance Auto Parts, in a can that specifically says MAF Cleaner on it. The QD Electronic cleaner is different, do not use it on your MAF. I tried it on my old truck and it ****ed my MAF up. Do not touch your MAF with anything, not your fingers, a rag, microfiber, nothing. Just follow the instructions on the can, and be very delicate when handling the MAF. I'll be doing this over the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.