E46 Fanatics Forum banner

replace inner cones of headlight

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rg1bmw 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 323i sedan. The headlight lamp became loose and was resting on the, low beam, inner silver refective cone. Because of the heat generated by the lamp it melted the cone at the point where you connect the lamp to the cone. I need to replace the cone. From previous DIYs I was able to remove the headlight assembly and then I removed the lens cover. I am not sure how to get the inner cone out. I don't want to force it for fear of breaking something, which I have already done when removing the lens cover. So how do you remove the cones? What is the part name and number of this inner cone? Do the high beam and low beam cones come out separately or as one unit? Can I order just the cone to replace the damaged one or do I have to order the whole headlight assembly? Another question. The rubber weather strips I removed are a little dry. Is there a moisturizer of some sort that I can use to recondition the weather strips? Thanks for the help. This sight is excellent for finding advice on how to repair bimmers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.