E46 Fanatics Forum banner

*Official* Muffler Delete Sound Clip / Discussion Thread

270K views 892 replies 255 participants last post by  GrandpaPrune 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, I have gotten dozens of pms over the last couple months regarding the muffler delete and "how does it sound...". So, I figured I would just take a few vids under different circumstances so you could get a decent representation how it sounds and hopefully, settle some of the confusion.

The car has the OEM headers, the OEM intake, both OEM resonators, and no muffler... just piping out the back to tips. Also has a vorsteiner dual sided hood if that makes any difference (maybe it's lighter so has less sound dampening :dunno: )

Anyways, here you go. I figured doing it at night would be best as you could see the speedometer and RPMs best.:

Windows Up short Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dul0P_TSHzY

Windows Up Longer Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMseR-ePhWU

Windows DOWN driving through a neighborhood at slow speeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgDdUThYnY

Windows down extensive driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkjOPMk1olw

Muffler delete drive bys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI

Let me know if i can do anything else to help :hi:

Please feel free to contribute to the thread if you have other vids that you think would be helpful to others :hi:

See less See more
#156 ·
I am having this done tomorrow, unfortunately the nearest place that does this kind of work is the same place I had my 1937 Chrysler royal 4 door convertible restored, they charged me 16k for a valve job. They are charging me $200 for the whole thing which isn't surprising, but I am rather disappointed seeing as others have said they've had it done for as little as $50. Also quick question, can I use my stock tips? I will post a video when it is done.

#161 ·
The noise level is acceptable, its a little loud cruising around 60, but who goes 60 anyway? And as for all other times on the highway the music drowns out the sound of the exhaust, and as for talking to other passengers its perfectly possible to have a civil conversation, sounds great otherwise. I think it might also be louder in my case seeing as I have a convertible, I can talk to people outside my car without opening the windows so to say that sound from outside the cabin gets in easily would be an understatement at the very least. If you have a coupe or a sedan I would definitely recommend it, or in a convertible like mine for that matter, it really does sound great IMO.

#162 ·
I'm beginning to consider a muffler delete, it seems to have the sound I'm looking for at a cheaper price. What I'm wondering is, I have the M Tech I bumper, could I run a quad exhaust on it? It looks to me like I can but I would have to have part of the bumper cut (where the tips are coming out now as it sits) on the passenger side.

Any ideas on how much that would run me? If I had any skill or tools at all I'd just do it myself but I'd screw it up for sure. Thanks :hi:

#163 ·
^ I know I've seen people on this thread with this set up, I would send one of them a message about this. I believe the best thing to do would be to get a quote from a body shop on how much it would be to cut out that small notch, I can't imagine that it would cost very much.

#167 ·
muffler delete sounds so ghetto to me. But after reading the thread and being on a budget I think im convinced it will be best for me.

Sounds like ppl are getting prices from 70-200 dollars. Anyone get this done in the DC maryland area? Can anyone recommend a shop?

Also will you pass emissions with this??

#169 ·
Has anyone done no muffler and no resonators? Knowing that people who have done resonator deletes while still keeping their muffler said there was hardly a difference. Would have no resonators and muffler be dramatically louder/annoying?

#171 ·
hey guys i have a 99 328i with dinan cold-air intake and headers...now do you think i should cut my muffler and do 2.5 pipe and 76mm tips? or should i cut the resonator and muffler off?

#172 ·
Cut off your muffler and buy a nice magnaflow to replace it, I have headers and cut off my muffler and it sounds ok in lower rpms but once you step on it its raspy as sh!t :banghead:

#173 ·
well if i dnt get magnaflow and i just cut the muffler and put 2.5 piping to the end with 76mm tips will it be ok or what

#175 ·
can you guys show me some tips you guys would recommend.. I will be doing the muffler delete maybe this weekend. I was wonder what size piping would you recommend 3"? by the way I was looking for some burnt tips but i can seem to find them, can someone help me out.. thanks.

#178 ·
You dont want to hear it.. I got my car back about 3 days ago which already had a straight pipe now it had no cats + straight piping back. Made my ears bleed, sounded like it was going to break the glass.

Have a muffler on it now to keep it down, putting on 2 vibrant resonators on it tomorrow to get rid of the insane rasp it has.

#186 ·
1. You will not throw any codes.

2. As a result of #1, if you live in a state that uses OBD2 to determine emissions, you'll be fine.

3. I am in the DC area with a muffler delete and am happy to meet up so you can hear mine :hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.