E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Oil leak in Trunk

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bimmerhop 
#1 ·
Guys,

I did a search (as thorough as I could) and haven't found an issue similar to mine.

I was cleaning my trunk and found this oil stain on the trunk cover carpet (the rubber side was up and the carpet facing down). I flipped the carpet back upright for the picture.

I'm not sure where the oil came from. Maybe I just spilt some back there and didn't realize it OR it is leaking from under the subframe and into the trunk. The only oil I had stored in my trunk was ATF for PS and brake fluid, neither of which are black in color.

Any thoughts? There is no real smell to it (no crayon/musty smell, although my friends have said my car smells like crayons and I'm just used to it).

ChrisDough

1999 BMW 323i 158k miles

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just bought an 05 325i and have a crayon smell in the trunk that will run you out of the car. I'm in the process of trying to find out what it is now. My mechanic said maybe axle grease if I have a leak that maybe getting on the exhaust and causing it, but I haven't checked to see if I have a leak yet.

Chris

#3 ·
I just bought an 05 325i and have a crayon smell in the trunk that will run you out of the car. I'm in the process of trying to find out what it is now. My mechanic said maybe axle grease if I have a leak that maybe getting on the exhaust and causing it, but I haven't checked to see if I have a leak yet.
Do a search or two, as this has been covered in detail over the years. The crayon smell is from the insulation in the trunk. People have also replaced the insulation under the rear deck where the speakers are and under the rear seats (if the smell permeates into the cabin).

#5 ·
so is it the 3/4" thick insulation or the thin black rubber looking mat that is under the back seat. Also is it also under the rear deck, because that is really tough to get to. I have everything loose but the screws at the plastic trim right under the edge of the window that looks like they only unscrew from underneath with a very long screwdriver. Is this correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.