E46 Fanatics Forum banner

turbo

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Monster135 
#1 ·
what to turbo my car how many guys are running turbo non m e46 s

#3 ·
hey man im running a activeauto supercharger kit complete with supersprint exhaust and k&n cold air intake on my 2005 325xi. has been great for me but if you really want a turbo call activeauto. they are the best and will be able to give u good info on turbo vs super and wats right for ur car. or u could call dinan which a lot of people like also

#6 ·
You can always put your own custom kit together.

Just get a manifold from Treadstone or Steed Speed and buy the other components seperately. The charge air pipes are simple to fabricate and any decent exhaust shop can tie the turbo and wastegate in to the exhaust system. The biggest problem is tuning but I heard somewhere that the stock computer will actually deal with 6psi anyway. After that you can probably get AEM to supply you with a piggyback to fine tune for higher boost.

#10 ·
Why? Shouldn't any T3/T4 turbo from Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, etc. work? I don't understand why you would need a custom turbo as long as manifold is flanged to accept a T3 or T4 type exhaust housing.

#13 ·
cause they would never see their money back. Development would be so costly and they woudl never sell enough units at a price point where their return on investment would be worth the time/money. Keep in mind a lot of software would be needed to help the car run properly with the new turbo in place.

#15 ·
R&D is costly, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse. I completely understand their hesitation to plunk down thousands of dollars into a product they're not sure is going to sell, but that's a dilemna all aftermarket companies face, it's not unique to bmw tuners. If they develop a great product at a reasonable (not saying cheap) price they should easily see a return on their investment, especially since the demand for the product is there. As far as the software issue is concerned, it can be solved by using a standalone engine management unit like AEM, Motec, etc. In the end it all depends on the companies agendas, for now they're content making their money off M3s and have completely disregarded non M E46 platforms leaving us with little options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.