E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#20,983 ·
Cooling system overhaul, ofhg, intake manifold gasket, oil separator/Crankcase vent valve with all hoses, fuel filter, fuel pump, oxygen sensors, oil change, tires. Yeah.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Complete cooling system including heater return lines, New coils and spark plugs, oil service, power steering flush, new dr vanos vanos unit, and finished sc install. Good 15 hr day
Proud of you guys. +25 MP each.

#20,984 ·
#20,987 ·
Bought this UV dye light kit for $15 for troubleshooting my friend's mysterious M3 coolant loss. Found the leak after one day of driving. Going to drive a few more days and recheck. Pic speaks for itself:

UV Light Dye Kit

Then I got curious and went on Amazon and found an even bigger LED UV flashlight :evil:

EVEN BIGGER UV 51-LED flashlight

Apparently it's OK to leave this stuff in the oil and coolant. I really don't want to put it in my coolant if I don't have to. Tomorrow I'll check if BMW coolant naturally glows or has some kind of dye in it?

I read some engine oils come with UV dye in it already. That's interesting. Never thought to try this stuff out. :thumbsup:

#20,992 ·
Re: * What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Bought this UV dye light kit for $15 for troubleshooting my friend's mysterious M3 coolant loss. Found the leak after one day of driving. Going to drive a few more days and recheck. Pic speaks for itself:

UV Light Dye Kit

Then I got curious and went on Amazon and found an even bigger LED UV flashlight :evil:

EVEN BIGGER UV 51-LED flashlight

Apparently it's OK to leave this stuff in the oil and coolant. I really don't want to put it in my coolant if I don't have to. Tomorrow I'll check if BMW coolant naturally glows or has some kind of dye in it?

I read some engine oils come with UV dye in it already. That's interesting. Never thought to try this stuff out. :thumbsup:
Its perfectly fine to leave that dye in fluids. You won't ever be able to get it all out, no matter how many time you flush.

If new oil has a greenish or yellowish haze to it, it has dye in it.

We use dyes like that all the time at my work. They make them for everything. We use a 150w UV light, but most of the time you can see it without using it.

Attachments

#20,993 ·
* What did you do to/for your E46 today? *

Its perfectly fine to leave that dye in fluids. You won't ever be able to get it all out, no matter how many time you flush.

If new oil has a greenish or yellowish haze to it, it has dye in it.

We use dyes like that all the time at my work. They make them for everything. We use a 150w UV light, but most of the time you can see it without using it.

Great info!

#20,995 · (Edited)
Cleaning and waiting for my ofhg to arrive Friday
My greatest concern is that the alternator is not removed or at least covered with plastic. Why bother cleaning until you do so because it's just scratching the surface and you might short it out. Can't wait till you pull the alternator and look behind the OFH, that is where the mess is. I did mine ten days ago and here is a picture I shot after cleaning for an hour. The waffle area and above will require a lot of attention if you want to do it right. Plus you may want to put a rag over that intake boot. Anything gets in there and it goes directly into your engine.

#20,997 ·
My greatest concern is that the alternator is not removed or at least covered with plastic. Why bother cleaning until you do so because it's just scratching the surface and you might short it out. Can't wait till you pull the alternator and look behind the OFH, that is where the mess is. I did mine ten days ago and here is a picture I shot after cleaning for an hour. The waffle area and above will require a lot of attention if you want to do it right. Plus you may want to put a rag over that intake boot. Anything gets in there and it goes directly into your engine.
water inside the alternator won't hurt it

#21,000 ·
Tire piece came flying towards me out of nowhere on the interstate, couldnt avoid it. Hit it with the license plate and the bumper. Why are there so many burst tire pieces on the interstate. That too in the middle of the city, what are DOT doing? :ben:
Casuality: plastic piece on front bumper and crumpled license plate.
At least the front plate saved the bumper and other parts. But I am still pissed.

Now any one have #2 on the following picture for the preface coupe?

Part #51118225599

Text Font Line Screenshot Design