E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW's... Unreliable/Pricey To Fix???

13K views 118 replies 43 participants last post by  sunsetcoast 
#1 ·
I have decided to replace my '93 Hyundai Excel with something a little fancier. I use the Hyundai as a commuter car and as a spare car in case my DD breaks down or is in for repairs.

I had decided on a Subaru LL Bean H6 wagon, and all Subbys have been AWD for years...

A friend suggested I look at the xi wagon, as they come 5 speed, and he has an older 5 series, and likes it alot...

On the other hand, I posted this similar issue at a different forum, and the guys are laffing at me for going for an exotic car. There's lots of Subbys in the local junkyards, and no Bimmer dealer, so few of those around.

I do ALL of my own repairs, but have next to zero knowledge of electronic engine controls, so stayed away from it, but the time is coming. I recently had trouble with a '94 Suburban diesel I bot in Phoenix, and the 1st place I went to was close to clueless about how to diagnose what should have been obvious.

The next fellow I went to knew exactly where and what to fix, and I wonder if I'll have the same experience locally.

Keep in mind it's a backup car, so if it's off line, like my current DD, (getting a new water pump), I can just use my wife's Suburban, as she works from home. I also have a K5 Blazer plow truck I can use.

So... back the the topic... Is an E46(xi) a reliable car? Or am I looking for trouble? I'm also near fanatical about maintenance, and pretty much open the hood EVERY day just for a peek. I was an ASE mechanic many years ago, so the peek is not just to admire the Teutonic engineering... :bow:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My Hyundai is my 10th one or so, and they are really reliable, albeit FAR simpler. I've put 15k on is 5 years, with not much more than new rear hatch struts. I paid $250 for it in Phoenix w a pissing water pump, cracked windshield, siezed A/C compressor and bald tires. Cost $1500 for all repairs and delivered to the local (150 miles away) shipping yard, and I'll prolly get $2000 for it. The tranny needs sychros, it's crunchy when cold, but has ZERO rust, and I Fluid Film rustproof everything I bring back from out west

#8 ·
If you're not familiar with electronic diagnosis, it can be a bit tricky. These bimmers are very temperamental with their electronics. A Subaru just works and works well. IMO they are both just as difficult to work on mechanically. Parts are not that expensive but sometimes you HAVE to go with OEM or the car goes wacky.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

#13 ·
I was on the same boat about a week ago. My daily flooded in the previous hurricane and I was stuck between a subaru forester and a 325ci.

You can probably guess which one I went with because I'm making a post on this forum.

So far its been a blast to drive, great daily, and most of the maintenance seems pretty straight forward. I do live in Jersey so we'll see how she acts in the snow, but she gives me no trouble in the rain or anything.

#16 ·
first one was a 02 325xi bought it super cheap and turned it around for a profit, bought another from an auction fixed/cleaned and sold it, i do this to a few cars on the side, but my current 325xi is mine to keep, ive also had a few 330i and RWD 325i's and coupes that were flipped along with a 530i sport 5 speed, but i absolutely love the XI over Quattro too, had a few of those too.

#18 ·
if you do the work they are fun to work on. between realoem.com and several online bmm dealer and pelicanparts.com it is easy to find good parts at decent prices. and the diy support here makes a manual almost obselete.

that being said bmw require much more maintenance that your average honda. If you buy a car with 100K it will need more than $1000 worth of parts if the previous owner did not do the maintenance. Just a lot of dumb stuff breaks that you rarely replace on other cars. Expect to rebuild the complete cooling system and suspension and you will have a good baseline to start with.

I expect you can still find good clean e46's that have been adult owned for a decent price.

#19 ·
Based on the work I've done on my girlfriend's '07 Accent I would never even consider buying a hyundai. Simple crap like changing a license plate bulb on that car is a total chore. BMW's are some of the easiest cars to work on imo as long as you're patient and do your research. That said, yes, they didn't require a bit more money and a bit more regular upkeep than your average economy sedan.

(Please pardon my auto-correct)

#31 · (Edited)
This statement couldn't be closer to the truth. I was always fearful of owning a BMW because of the "rumors" regarding their reliability, so instead I bought Toyota, Lexus, Acura etc. Just one example ( of many ) of how much easier my e46 is to work on than lets say my IS300...my LP bulb need to have the entire trunk liner removed, then a nut here and a bolt there before I could access the bulb. E46...two screws and 10 seconds of my life later...it's done.

The BMW does require owners that appreciate their vehicles and take good care of them both mechanically and cosmetically. They are the best cars on the road for all around performance, look, and are outright sexy in the design department.

#20 ·
A friend suggested I look at the xi wagon, as they come 5 speed
Forgot to add: while they do exist, you will see dozens of Subaru wagons with manual trannies before you locate a single xi wagon with 3 pedals on the floor. This is for 3 reasons:

• Not too many wagons sold in the US (maybe ~3000/yr?).
  • Smaller percentage were xi (of the wagons, many were RWD)
  • And a minority of those had a manual (the majority of cars were automatics)

#21 ·
Actually Subaru NEVER offered the H6/LL Bean Luxo model w a stick, but a friend is sure he can do a conversion given a parts car. the engine simply has 2 extra cylinders, and I woudn't beat it, so no problem w a possible undersized tranny. Obviously electronic upgrades will be required... Would I actually get it done, or would he, prolly not, and I would need a parts car, and I'd prefer the same rust free one from out west, sounds like alot of extra complication, a 3 pedal Bimmer would be easier

#27 ·
Actually Subaru NEVER offered the H6/LL Bean Luxo model w a stick
Guess the manuals that I've seen were "low zoot" cars. If you want the luxe version, then I vote for the xi. If you can find a well-maintained copy, they aren't trouble. We've had our '99 for 5+ years. To date, it has required nothing except regular maintenance. We're not anal, but we do take care of our vehicles. Did do the cooling system overhaul when we started to hear a bit of noise. And suspension refresh is due. Oh, and the original battery was replaced 2 months ago.

#25 ·
Anyone who thinks the e46 XI is "Too complicated" shouldn't be giving car advice.

The XI adds a super simple transfer case and front diff. That is all. Everything is open and the DSC manages traction control in rain and snow. Not much to go wrong mechanically.

Its the little dumb **** that gets expensive on these cars. Foggy headlight covers are 150 bucks to replace. The Final stage resistor in the glovebox goes bad and makes the heater blower act weird sometimes. $50-80. If you can find a nice example thats been WELL maintained they are bulletproof.

#29 · (Edited)
Google cooling system overhaul on here - conventional wisdom is to replace some cooling items when the car is over 100K before they fail and warp the head or blow the engine.

I think, given the fact that you are into cars, you will truly enjoy the XI. To me, the only similarity between a BMW and a Subaru is that they have four wheels and are made out of metal. Subarus are good cars, but the driving experience leaves a lot to be desired. And my mechanic says they have their share of problems after 100k just like any other car.

You sound more than capable of working on a BMW, and labor is 75% of the battle in maintaining one. Enjoy and don't worry about it. Heck, I was stupid enough to by a LR Discovery II six years ago. My total outlay for replacement parts/labor has been $1000.00 - a drive shaft (had a shop do it), but brake pads, a purge valve, thermostat/hoses and a cam shaft sensor - all bought and done by me. Everyone told me I lost my mind buying a Land Rover, but its been a fantastic vehicle.

#30 ·
It's more an issue of the difficulty of the repairs. My '91 Accord has too many heater/coolant hoses, really difficult to get to. Some cars/trucks half the engine is under the windshield. My turbo Chevy pickups have half the glow plugs/injectors under the turbo. Almost imp to get to. Rust will not be an issue as it will be a western car. This ix sounds really well maintained, new control arm bushings, no wear on seats, paint... Prolly always garaged

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.