E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The cool way to relocate your xenon ballast if you have a tube-style cold air intake

21K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  Blisssss 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a little researching and turns out that all E46 used the same xenon ballast. I think they updated the ballast for every car in 2002, but this pretty much means any xenon from the M3 to a 323i will use the same ballast. So this go me thinking, the M3 and M3 CSL both have really big intakes and have to relocate their xenon ballast right from the factory, and they also use the same ballast, so maybe I can use this bracket from the M3 on my 330i sedan. Turns out the bracket and plastic cover cost $16.04 + shipping from Tischer, so I might as well give it a try.

Well, it fit perfectly.

And here is what it looked like before the bracket and cover :rofl:

Parts you need:

1x Bracket - BMW Part # 61127893034

1x Cover (up to 9/2001) - BMW Part # 61127893035
or
1x Cover (after 9/2001) - BMW Part # 63127832829

2x Screws - BMW Part # 72128244154

You will reuse one of your stock non-M intake bolts and you need a 10mm nut.

See less See more
#17 ·
For many with Superchargers this would be great. You should post another link of this in the FI Forum.

#24 · (Edited)
Excellent thread, OP! :thumbsup:

Has anyone had a good solution to doing this on a facelift where the wires going from the headlight housing to the ballast are too short and can't reach the area where the relocation bracket sits? I'm helping a friend with an install and just found out the facelift has a different type of ballast so we're trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Thanks for any info!

*Edit: Nevermind, OP. I guess I already told you that in March of 2009.

#25 · (Edited)
Excellent thread, OP! :thumbsup:

Has anyone had a good solution to doing this on a facelift where the wires going from the headlight housing to the ballast are too short and can't reach the area where the relocation bracket sits? I'm helping a friend with an install and just found out the facelift has a different type of ballast so we're trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Thanks for any info!

*Edit: Nevermind, OP. I guess I already told you that in March of 2009.
lol, 3 years and 8 months later... We've been on this forum for that long? :rofl:

#27 · (Edited)
Anyone know if I can fit a morimoto ballast in that cool OEM bracket?

Any idea if I can fit 2 ballasts in that OEM bracket cover? (Any suggesyed modding?)

Oh and can I fit that on a 330 with stock intake?
Is there one for the passenger side? And ideas for a good place to for 3 ballasts on each side?
(Fog and quad xenon.:))

Were not old!!!!!

#32 · (Edited)
Ok, so what i did was cut out a piece of plastic from a plastic plate i had laying around. (dremel) then i used red silicone high temp caulk to seal the hole to the plastic plate i made. I put the plate on the inside and pressed it down i think. use a ventilated area as that silicone caused a skin reaction for me. It held very permanently.

For the ballast relocation, why are you relocating? I used moromito balasts and that gave me enough wire to velcro mount to the frame just below the light or to the inside fender, again with velcro.
I put pics of the 2nd placement locations, I have a quad xenon setup, so the other 2 are on the frame beam just below the light. I recommend mounting there.

What you could do is use 14 guage wire, and extend the ballasts to your needs, and twist them and pull them through a black techflex

Attachments

#35 ·
how so? he's using oem parts and even all the M3s use this exact set-up. I had to do this on my coupe when I supercharged it as the compressor and piping hit that ballast. all you do is extend the wires and install. The holes are already there for the ballast bracket from the factory.

Nothing ricey about clean & tidy and oem fit and finish :thumbup:

#39 ·
any discounted dealer, Tischer BMW comes to mind at getbmwparts.com

#40 ·
Just an update/FYI about this mod. Not all our if OEM ballasts are the same. On cars with factory "ZKW" headlights the black plastic cover & screws listed here will not work. I was able to use just the bracket on my 2004 ZHP. I may order the earlier single hole cover to try to make it work somehow.

#42 ·
see post#1 it's has all part numbers listed
61 12 7 893 034

#43 ·
Reviving old thread to pursue this. Does anyone know if I need to extend the wire for the ballast for this to work? When I relocated it before, it seemed like the wire was very short and I literally had to mount it to the expansion tank which is why I removed the Intake and went back to stock. Since I still have the intake, I might throw it back on for the summer if I can use this for the mounting location. All I need to know about is the length of the cord/wire for the ballast. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.