E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Help on Rim decisions -- Opinions!

7K views 57 replies 15 participants last post by  trentcdrums 
#1 ·
I have a few in mind, if the sale on these does not follow through, I was gonna purchase these 16's. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1943210

However, if not, I had these in mind. I'm young, not crazy on price. But I always think I could just switch the rims over on my newer BMW in the later years, I just do not want my speedometer all over the place with incorrect speeds.

Keep in mind, I was gonna try for 17's. MY stock rims are 16's but I can get tires to keep the speedometer the same.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

http://eliteswheels.com/main/product_detail/13039

I really like these, are they worth the $$?? http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

thanks all!

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110's are a pretty well rated tire for the price. They can make a decent showing with some of the most expensive tires available, according to the Car and Driver tests I have seen over the past few years. In fact, they outperform some of the big brands that cost 2 or 3 times as much. I just bought a set for my 2001 Eclipse GT, which is very sensitive to cheap tires. It is particularly sensitive to sidewall strength, since it is a heavy car, with a fairly stiff suspension. I tried a set of Sumitomo's HTRZ III, and it felt like crap. It was constantly rolling over onto the sidewall. So, I went back to the Goodyear Eagle GT's it came with. But, I have to say, the new Hankooks feel just as good as the Eagle GT's, actually, they feel better. I am quite happy with them on this car.
But, I have not used them on my e46, since I have a taste for Michelin PS II's, and have stuck with them. There are others on here who do love the Hankooks on their e46's. I may even be tempted to try them, since the Michelins have moved up to the PS III or the Super Sports, which are a big step up in price too.

#10 ·
I will admit that I was surprised when this was not someone looking for opinions about shoving some huge 19's on a 323. Imagine my surprise when you are actually looking for reasonable sizes! :)
Since you are looking for something suited to your car, have you looked at what Tire Rack offers in very light or lightweight wheels? You can sort their search by wheel weight. There are some decent looking and fairly well made wheels available at less than 18lbs. It would definitely help your car to reduce the weight of the wheels as much as possible.
I bought a set of 17" wheels from Tire Rack for my 330ci, and they weigh 15.4lbs each, which was a big drop from the 25+lbs that my factory wheels were. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer those particular wheels any more. But there wheels available that are less than 18lbs. Reducing the weight of your wheels is one of the best way to improve the acceleration and feel of a car, especially a 323. Any increase in weight would definitely slow your car down. So, maybe try searching some of the really lightweight wheels, and see if there is something you may like!

#27 ·
OP, are you looking to buy wheels that "you" like? Or are you looking to buy wheels that other people like?

When people say something negative about what I purchased for my own use, I just kindly remind them that I did not buy it for them to like. I mean really, would you eat something you didn't like, just because someone else's taste prefers it?

Just buy the wheels that you like and enjoy them...

#31 ·
Yes, hub centric adapters or hub centric rings. The center bore of e39 wheels are larger than e46, hence the adapters will be needed.

However, your first problem will be offset. e39 wheels will be way too aggressive. Get the specs of the said wheel and check if they will fit. If the offsets work then hub centric adapters will make those wheels fit for you.

e46's take around 40 offset, e39s came with around 20. Hence, the wheels will stick out of by 20mm. I am just giving you some ballpark numbers, you will have to check with the exact spec of the wheel.

#33 ·
Yes, hub centric adapters or hub centric rings. The center bore of e39 wheels are larger than e46, hence the adapters will be needed.

However, your first problem will be offset. e39 wheels will be way too aggressive. Get the specs of the said wheel and check if they will fit. If the offsets work then hub centric adapters will make those wheels fit for you.

e46's take around 40 offset, e39s came with around 20. Hence, the wheels will stick out of by 20mm. I am just giving you some ballpark numbers, you will have to check with the exact spec of the wheel.
I did find out that the offset of the e39 wheel is like you said, 20. Mine is 40 stock. So if i get the hubcentric adapters, will this work? How can i check for sure??

#34 ·
This is what the tire calculator gave me, anyone understand this?? Old New

Diameter 631.4mm 643.3mm
Circumference 1983.6mm 2021mm
Poke 61.6mm 81.6mm
Inset 141.6mm 121.6mm
Speedo error 0% -1.85%
Reading at 30mph 30mph 29.45mph
Reading at 60mph 60mph 58.89mph
Ride height gain 0mm 5.95mm
Arch gap loss 0mm 5.95mm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.