E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How does BMW's rust warranty work?

36K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  golf_234 
#1 ·
Just found a tiny spot on my pillar next to the windshield and the paint is bubbling a little. It's barely noticible but I'd like to fix it before it gets worse. How does BMW's rust warranty work? My car's an 02 and I think the warranty will be up soon if it there is one.

#7 ·
Perforation means that coverage does not kick in at first sight of cosmetic surface rust. It only covers when the rust actually penetrates the 'skin' and eats a hole. Then BMW will step in and try desperately to find a million reasons why it is your fault and not theirs.

#8 ·
Correct. A relative of mine has a Chrysler Town & Country Minivan. It had a rust spot on the rear wheelwell. Chrysler said that, "Unless there is a hole, there's nothing we can do about a rust spot". After months of arguing, my cousin used a drill bit---Chrysler now sees a hole---the paint has since been fixed.

#12 ·
anything below I think 2006 has a 6 year corrosion warranty, and everything 2006 and newer has a 12 year corrosion warranty. And yes, its a perforation, meaning it must 'break' through the panel.

You can call them if you like, BMW NA, and ask them to maybe help pay to have it repaired, but dont cross your fingers.

#20 · (Edited)
My 2005 has a 12 year rust perforation warranty.

Something that has not been mentioned in this thread is the fact that you need documentation showing that an Inspection II was performed at the proper time (i.e. ~60-65k miles) or the warranty is null and void. This is at least the case for the 12 year warranty.

LOL I rarely see a 8 year old car without rust. Unless its something agregious thres no way they'd cover it
My 323i was nine years old when it was crushed and didn't have even a spot of rust.

FL (especially if you're away from the salty coastal air) FTMFW, OH FTMFL.

#14 ·
No...lack of rinsing off salt from underneath car and dirt caught up on top of wheel well lips...and clogged drains in door, rocker panels, hood, etc.

Lots of that has to do with who owned it before and what they did or didn't do to it.

I don't have any rust that I know of...and rinse often, more in winter, especially underneath.

Might be a good time to try some abatement.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.