E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Replacing Oil Filter Housing Gasket

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Johnsmyname 
#1 ·
Hello all, I noticed an oil leak from the front of my engine. Looks to be from the oil filter housing. I ran a search and found some good info, but have a few additional questions.

1. Is this usually just the gasket, or does the housing itself ever need replacing?
2. I've read the book says 3 hrs, but a good mechanic can do it in 2 hrs, does this sound right?
3. While I'm replacing this is there anything else I should replace while getting in there?

For reference the vehicle is a 2003 330Ci with 82,000 miles.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I did mine at the same time as doing a complete cooling system overhaul as well as belts and pulleys. You're already working in that general area anyway. I seriously doubt your housing is bad as it's basically a big hunk of metal and I don't think it'd ever be exposed to enough heat to warp (maybe if your car caught on fire). :) The other things down that way are your intake boots CCV, etc. It's really going to depend on what needs to be done and what you are willing to do. And 2-3 hours sounds about right. It added maybe an hour to the cooling system job when I did it.

#3 · (Edited)
I took my time and checked my engine over and cleaned the splash shield. It took me about 4 hrs (I'd say 2.5 on the housing)- my gasket was hard,but also stuck to the housing. Mine came out in about 50 pieces (and that was only by using a small pic and a screwdriver handle to tap the pic with), I then had to clean all the small pieces out of the valley. It would have been faster if it came out nicely...but, you know how that goes if you work on cars much.

P.S..... deffinitely use a torque wrench!!!! also replace the 4 crush washers for the vanos line.

#17 ·
P.S..... also replace the 4 crush washers for the vanos line.
Any idea what size crush washers so I can get them ahead of time?

If you are doing the OFHG then you seriously need to do this as well.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=643639

Next item is doing the cooling system...........
I will look into this with the cold weather upgrade, thanks.

I would definitely suggest cooling items like expansion tank, water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, and themostat in that order. Good luck.
Good to know, I will look into these as well as my cooling system is 10 yrs + & 80k miles + old.

If the yellow radiator light is going on/off, particularly when you turn on the heat.. you're low on coolant. Follow the proper bleeding procedures and add coolant.
I will try this over the weekend, is bleeding the system a PITA, does it need to be burped?

#5 ·
I have read Mango's cooling system overhaul, but the money for it is way more than I can spend right now. I'm thinking about just doing some of it while I'm in there like the reservoir tank, thermostat, etc...
If it's too much right now, start buying parts and wait until you have them all then do it all at once. For one thing, if you do it a little bit here and there, and then have a problem you'll never really know what's at fault. Shop around for parts (use the links Mango provides) and look for coupons, sales, etc. I'm assuming here that you don't have any cooling issues at the moment.

#11 ·
You have to remove the alternator / PS pump which necessitates removal of the accessory belts and deflection pulley. If these haven't been replaced, they may be in need (and they are relatively cheap). At least for the belts, you can inspect them before you start to decide if you want to source new parts. Similarly, with the VANOS oil line, you can tell if it is weeping at the crimps before you start. Other than that, the PS suction hose often leaks, now would be a good time to replace that. There is a plethora of maintenance items right there. However, most - if not all - of them aren't as deep as the OFHG. So pick and choose what you can afford / needs to be addressed now and don't stress over the rest. Chances are, while you're in there you'll find new projects to be added to the list.

Good luck,

Luke

#14 ·
I finished the OFHG a month ago and it was a pain. The gasket had become brittle and didn't come out as a single piece. I had to use a pick as others have described. Be careful if you have to use a pick. I envisioned a piece of the brittle gasket flying off and going into one of the oil passages on the side of the engine. Luckily I covered up the oil passages because sure enough a few minutes later a piece came flying off and bounced off some crumped towels I had covering the hole. Remember to take your time and make sure you have the proper tools and all your parts in advance.
As far as doing other preventative maintenance tasks, there are a bunch that could be done. Other have already posted a lot of them. You have to consider your budget though. If you had the funds, I would suggest doing as many as possible. Your car will be rock solid for miles to come. But if you simply don't have the funds, pick and choose your battles. I would definitely suggest cooling items like expansion tank, water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, and themostat in that order. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.