E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Futher Audio Knowlege Needed!!!

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jh05M3 
#1 ·
Hey, I have stage one bav audio speaker and feel the system now that the clarity issues have been addressed. Needs much more bass!! I have researched sound dampening in depth and know this need be done. but till then, I enjoy the stock deck look and don't want to change it. So I installed a punch 12" and an old amp I had laying around in an enclosed box custom made with Rockford specs in mind from there website specifically for the sub. I used an inline convertor to convert the speaker inputs to the outputs needed for my amp(basic) BUT, I now just finished that install and am unsatisfied with the clarity of the bass. Like it is not spot on or doesn't resonate the proper frequencies. IDK!! Not knowledgeable enough in the subject to know what to do. Is there a cheap equalizer I could use and if so, how do I tune it? I'm up for any suggestions!!!

#3 ·
That's probably not it...:.its probably that e46s have a solid metal wall between the trunk and the cabin....so you are only getting certain frequencies, and they are damped......search "ski pass mod" for more info.

Could also be the position or phase of the sub.

Or a combination of the above. Trial and error....

#4 ·
I have a 330ci. no wall:/ but I believe its really just the amp. I can tune it for say, hip hop. sounds good and may lack in more mid bass. Were I'd think the bsw speakers would take over but there is almost no bass at all from the speakers besides the sub. for all the hype about bsw I'd think there would be better bass. However, I am the second own and didn't purchase them so maybe he blared the crap out of them idk. would the sound dampening inner and outer doors with dynalyner and then the wood base for the drivers with the hole cut into the door fix the bass??? perhaps the stock amp is failing and I need an after market amp 5 or 6 channel with crossovers? I can trouble shoot a misfire or vaccum leak in your intake system but I cant figure out anything about speakers lmao

#5 ·
Coupes have metal seat backs too. Does it sound better with the seat back down? Play with the location, direction, and phase of the sub as well. Also you didn't mention what crossover frequency you have the amp set to....80hz would be a good starting point.

#8 ·
If I play hip hop it sounds really good! All deep bass is great! Sounds clear and fresh. Now I switch to rock and rock and theres no bass like I have the sensitivity tuned to low to pick up the rock bass notes. So its really just tuning. But I have a 12" punch p2 in a sealed box with a power acoustik hmr500x2 powering it set on lps only at 80Hz, bass boost on with a scosche loc2sl converter. Just realized the 5's in the rear deck are hk not bsw.

Sent from my C771 using BimmerApp mobile app

#11 ·
Where did you tap into for the line out converter? BMW factory amps have crossovers built into them. If you grab signal from the wrong place speakers won't sound correct. The amp only knows what you give it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.