E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#1,508 ·
Well it lasted one day! I now just get "Hardware is not ready" Even though I did the exact same as yesterday, sometimes it does'nt give that error, but then just says an IKE and EWS reading error. I've tried different USB cables, sockets and swearing, any thing else to try?

It was working fine yesterday :(

#1,518 ·
It's three weeks shipping back to China, then they ship you a new unit, which takes 3 weeks to get to you. That's 6 weeks. Take it apart. We're not talking about a $100 item here.

I took mine apart bc I thought I needed to jump pins 7&8. They were already jumped.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#1,525 ·
I would assume they are coded for the Software, as the offical software page shows the same devices as I (think) we all buy.

For my mini-saga... Well the scanner works again!

The things that have changed since it last didn't work (last night) are a complete charge of the car battery (with a nice trickle charger I have) and the temperature.

Our garage does get warm, so I checked the car this morning (06:30 approx) and now the Scanner works!

I've put battery back on charge because as we know our cars dislike imperfect DC, and I'll test several times to day to see if the Scanner is temperature affected.

Of course I also disconnected the battery to charge so perhaps this also helped get the scanner back to life.

#1,526 ·
Wow, been busy and have not been on the forum for awhile. A lot of good info posted in the last few weeks.
vbfronkis/ David Mc - have you seen any problems with the PA software? My software seems unstable to me. Here is why - I can not see the live data and SRS module on my 740il (I have seen them before). Also, can you tell if we can use PA soft to enable/disable FOB remote/central lock button and interior light?

#1,532 ·
E46tknv, you are correct if you have seen all modules on your e46 before then you don't need to do anything with the connector. Now, for the e36 it could be the incompatibility of the software. My main problem right now with PA soft was that I have seen all modules even with live data before for my 2000 E38. Now I can not see live data and SRS module. Having said that, on my E46 I still can access to all modules. Hopefully, someone else can jump in and helping us with these issues.

#1,536 ·
E46tknv/all, yes, I know PA soft can enable/disable the key thus make your car disable aka can not start and other nice features that we can change to make it more friendly (well depends on the individual requirement). I think I might mislead you in my questions. The question should be - can one enable/disable central lock button/interior light/FOB by using PAsoft? Currently, I am having this issue with central lock button/interior light/FOB (not working). I have checked with Scott (GM guru) and he doesn't think it is GM related. Did not have this problem prior to play with PAsoft. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated.

#1,537 · (Edited)
Ran into an issue last night... the new 323i I bought will scan and read all modules.. after writing down DME codes I erased the memory and moved on.. after about 20 minutes of being hooked up I noticed nothing would read anymore. I turned off the car and unplugged the scanner..initialized everything again and no access to any modules or a that general info page that comes up before a scan. Disconnected the battery, connected it all again and same error. My scan tool when plugged in to the 20 pin will show the amber light but as soon as i plug in USB the green light comes on and shuts off.. however the computer still recognizes the device as attached.

My 328i did this once too when I was in the system too long i guess? but cycling the key and initializing it all fixed it.

I left the battery disconnected and am going to try it again tonight... also worst case if it doesnt see the 323 ill hook up the 328 and see if it connects.... man its always something lol! :hmm:

#1,549 ·
I plan to order this on friday, is he software compatible with windows 7? I'm mainly interested in little things like my lights flash on lock and unlock, my windows roll up when x2press of lock function. and the clown nose flash when car is locked. maybe little things down the road like door locking at 30mph. but you get the idea.

I plan to order from fleabay. I just want to know if its compatible with windows 7 before I commit to buy, Thanks.

#1,558 ·
I have installed this on numerous laptop builds of both XP and W7 with only one issue... I messed up the first time I installed it! I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you CANNOT be connected to a Wi-Fi network when it is installed. I had to delete the installation and then reinstall it with the Wi-Fi turned off. When I did that... No issues.
Thank you Kenhale, my laptop has windows 7 only so I was hoping it would work!

and bigrick when your using PA soft after you install you must have WIFI on though right|?

#1,552 ·
I have installed this on numerous laptop builds of both XP and W7 with only one issue... I messed up the first time I installed it! I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you CANNOT be connected to a Wi-Fi network when it is installed. I had to delete the installation and then reinstall it with the Wi-Fi turned off. When I did that... No issues.

#1,553 · (Edited)
Just got my scanner yesterday. Got it to work with windows 7 64 bit and had a few errors. Does anyone see any major problems with the data?

I found very good instructions on getting it to work with windows 7 and took me about 45 minutes but works great. Now I just have to make some changes once I figure it all out.

# ERRORS IN UNITS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unit BMWTNR HW SW-FSW ERRORS / SHADOW-MEMORY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EWS -> 6.905.670 03 08 2 errors
ABS* -> 6.750.364 04 0.0.0 3 errors
LEW -> 6.760.232 04 04 2 errors
A/C -> 6.914.009 24 06 1 error
SRS -> 6.905.491 01 06 no errors
IKE -> 6.906.897 10 20 1 error
LCM -> 6.907.950 10 20 no errors / 10 errors
ZKE -> 6.907.663 11 16 4 errors / 2 errors
MFL -> 0.000.000 01 09 no data
RAD -> 6.909.882 32 11 no errors
SZM -> 6.911.667 01 02 no errors / no errors
SHD -> 3.852.379 05 27 no errors
SPMFT -> 8.386.427 02 01 1 error / 3 errors
SPMBT -> 6.913.364 02 02 no errors / 3 errors
SMF -> 8.263.133 07 0B no errors

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
EWS -> 33/05 - Toleration of changing code increased, key 3
0F/3F - Power on reset

ABS* -> 5E43/C0 - Steering angle sensor internal.
5DF4/40 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.
5E1A/C0 - CAN DME/DDE Signal Error.

LEW -> 09/79 - No CAN message (ASC)
04/21 - 90 degrees difference of wiper too large (Adjustment operation)

A/C -> 1C/04 - AUC sensor

IKE -> D7/81 - Tank sensor 2

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/11 - Brake light, left
35/03 - Brake light, right
36/04 - Turn indicator, front left
37/11 - Turn indicator, front right
3B/02 - Sidelight, rear left
3D/01 - Sidelight, rear right
3F/1F - Turn indicator, rear left
40/04 - Turn indicator, rear right
41/03 - Low beam, right
42/02 - Low beam, left

ZKE -> 27/3F - Central locking system Relay Locking Driver's door: Contact for opening has open circuit or Contact for closing is sticking
3D/01 - Central locking system: Short circuit or Open circuit at Motor Tailgate
38/02 - Wiper: Pump for Window washing or Container is empty
0A/01 - Power window: Open circuit Motor or Relay Passenger door
Shadow-memory:
90/23 - Battery Voltage: Open circuit
95/02 - Repeat blocking: Power window

SPMFT -> 04/01 - Mirror-moving-switch, interruption
Shadow-memory:
00/01 - Low voltage ( U < 8,5 Volt )
02/8B - Low voltage mirror-heating
04/01 - Mirror drive, potentiometer plausibility

SPMBT -> Shadow-memory:
00/01 - Low voltage ( U < 8,5 Volt )
02/61 - Low voltage mirror-heating
04/01 - Mirror drive, potentiometer plausibility

# SCAN END

The LCM is showing a lot of light issues but all of them work. What exactly is shadow memory that is listed?

#1,556 ·
Shadow memories are old errors that have not, or cannot be cleared from the system, I would note all of these Errors down (you have here!) and clear them, the ones that come back are the ones to look at, but keep the old ones as history.

Indeed I believe BMW has shadow memories to maintain a history of the car.
You're making things up.

Shadow codes are errors which have been registered at one point, but are not currently active. There are also a small portion of engineering codes which cannot be cleared because they don't apply to your car.

Ex.) Exhaust flap solenoid shadow code can't be cleared on my car because I don't have one.

#1,562 ·
Any issues known using the scanner with an 06 325. It works great on my 2001 but I hooked it up to the 2006 and a window came up stating to turn on the ignition then it wouldn't hook up to the car.

Is there actually a step by step on the order of starting the scanner.

We had it plugged in then the laptop was started and the ignition was turned on but couldn't get it to hook up with the car.

I assume that the 2006 is still an E46. Am I correct?

Any step by step instructions on starting the scanner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.