E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2003 smg vs 2005 smg

5K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  illestminimike 
#1 ·
I have a few quick questions

Who would win in a Straight line.

2003 m3 coup with SMG 1
2005 m3 vert with SMG 2

Lets just say the tires are the same and both got a prefect launch.

The 2003 is stock
The 2005 has a shark injector?

And is smg 1 and 2 very different?
Thanks

#2 ·
I'm not 100% sure what the difference is but I can tell you that failures with SMG were more common on the earlier models (pre '04) - a total of 5 ///M's (3 '02s and 2 '03s) that have ended up replacing entire transmission assemblies here and haven't seen 1 require the replacement that was a '04-'06 .... On 4 of those 5 cars, it was shifting up from 3rd to 4th - the display would flash and the car would not engage 4th gear. You could shift down from 5th to 4th but not from 3rd to 4th.

As far as the drag race - I'd think the '03 would win as it should weigh less. I wouldn't recommend using launch control on either though :D

#4 · (Edited)
E46 M3's only came in SMG II and 6MT. Coupe would probably win.

#30 ·
Summary:
1. Street Racing Thread (Not on the street though).
2. Coupe Vs Vert - Which is faster?
-Everyone argues about weight. Few good jokes
-No one mentions maintenance.
3. SMGII Speed/Reliability
-Despite all e46 M3's having the SMGII system, reliability issues plagued early models. I would tend to agree, but have seen enough misdiagnosed SMGII issues that end in a needless system replacement. The GPS, Compression Spring, Hydraulic Temp Sensor, and Salmon relay fixes are all fairly recent discoveries (now that the cars are coming out of warranty and people want to save money).
- Not mentioned - The early SMGII's actually shifted more aggresively. BMW later released programming to slow down the shifts slightly to preserve the synchros. So technically, the older system, assuming it has not had updated programming and is working properly, should shift almost unnoticeably faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.