E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rear camber arm replacement DIY?

40K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  project330ci 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a rear camber arm DIY for the E46?

I found one for the E36 but I’d like to find one for the exact car I’m working with.

It looks very accessible and pretty straight forward but I’d still like to have a detailed DIY so I do not screw anything up or drop something on my face.

I’m putting on GC adjustable rear camber arms with urethane bushings.

#3 ·
anyone know how long this would take a shop to do?

#5 ·
Do you mean you are replacing the lower control arms? The really thin OEM arm, parallel to the axle?

These are not hard to take off but you need to be able to hold the diff' up with a floor jack, after you take off each caliper bracket, rotor, shock and spring, lower the muffler, and so on. Plan on 6-8 hours for normal amateur worktime.

#8 ·
I used my Bentley and Turner Motorsports tech guide to install their camber arms last month. Step by step, inch by inch, it's doable in one day with a mid morning start time. Here's some pictures just to point out the two rear fasteners on the differential to remove and the one forward fastener on the differential and the half-shaft fasterners. It's an involved project if you're all alone on your back on some cardboard. Two heads would be better than one.

Good luck!
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/tech_tips.shtml

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/suspension/TSU9940B77.pdf

Attachments

#16 ·
I did this install with friends in my garage. I had the car on jackstands and it was a little bit of a pain. I think $1100 is a steep price. Once I loosened the diff, I just moved it back a few inches and had a friend swap the bolt and rear trailing arm.

#19 ·
Question... does the diff need to be supported after removing the bolts? If so what can u use to support it while its on a lift?

#20 ·
I had two friends help me do it because I did it in my garage. I am sure you can use a floor jack.

I have not looked at the "short bolt" link but I prefer to have the extra threads to keep the extra threads.

#24 ·
looks like a hella bump.

Anyone have success on the shortened bolt method? I was thinking about dremmeling off the existing bolt, then purchasing a new bolt, dremmeling off the end about 5mm and the head that the socket locks onto as well about 3 mm. Anyong think that would work? Im trying to avoid dropping the diff and such..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.