E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Winter wheel and tire recommendations

889 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chr325is 
#1 ·
I had started researching winter tires last week by doing a search on here. I read the Winter Tires '05 Sticky, which helped me narrow down my search. I live in an area that gets hit pretty hard with snow, and we have lots of ice. As of now, I would like to spring for the Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1 with a 16" Sport Edition Fox 3 (or Fox 6). This will be my second winter with the bimmer, but I did not change the tires last year, mainly because I was at school and never drove. When I did drive it in the winter with the stock sport wheels and tires, it was terrible (duh), so I want something that will perform well in the snow.

My car is lowered, will that make any difference other than my front bumper being a plow? Will the winter wheels and tires fit properly? Does wheel size effect traction in the snow? What do you guys run on your cars? I had already read a thread about someone with an M3 who bought the same setup I would like to go for, but does anyone else have experience with this setup?

#2 ·
No one?

#4 · (Edited)
EDIT: I stand corrected, it appears that there are no steel wheels available for 325's...interesting. Oh well, the Sport edition 6's would work well...

As to your questions, the Blizzak's would be a fine choice and will get you through the winter very well. I would, however, recommend going with a 16" steel wheel package instead of the alloys. Think about it, winter = salt, sand, not easy to wash. Why spend the $$$ to get a set of nicer alloy wheels that can just get ruined when you can get black painted steel wheels for $50 a piece. Plus, an added benefit is that the steel wheels weigh more and will give you better traction through snow and slush. Oh, and i think that they look pretty good for the winter anyway...gives your car that "tank" look.

In regards to size, go with the narrowest tire that you can. Last year i ran 205/55/16 Wintersport M3's on 16" steel wheels from tirerack. I wasnt 100% satisfied with the traction i got (we get a lot of snow here) and am going with an even narrower 195/65/15 on 15" steel wheels this year. I am also upgrading from the winsterSport M3's, which give up a bit of ultimate snow and ice grip for dry performance, to Nokian Hakkapelliita RSi studless snow and ice tires. I ran their predecessors (the Hakka Q's) for years on my old civic and coudl get through anything. I am really looking forward to the first few snowfalls this year to test them out.

Good luck, and whatever you decide to do.

Chris

#6 ·
Wow thanks a lot for all that information. Does anyone know why I can't get steel wheels? I would rather go with a steel wheel than an alloy.

Gary - my car is lowered .75" in the front and .25" in the rear, so I should be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.