E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What makes Good tires expensive and Bad Tires Cheap?

12K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  cancell 
#1 ·
I have Nexen N7000s, they came with my rims. I just found out that these tires are supposedly bad. Ive never had a flat, Ive never had any problems at all actually. I cant think of one bad thing with them, then again I really have nothing to compare them too.

What are the Advantages of Good Tires ie. Michelin PS2s, Toyo's, and Dunlop Sports

And what are the disadvantages of tires like Nexen N7000s. I'm on 18" BBS rims BTW.

I know this seems like a stupid idea for a thread but I honestly have had No problems at all with these tires, So im wondering whats so bad about them.

#3 ·
road noise, wear ratings, grip in dry vs wet conditions, grip characteristics of the tire compound, comfort,

and yes, brand names are expensive

just remember, the more expensive the tire, the less likely You are to use them. I've got a buddy with PS2s on his car, refuses to buy anything but. I guarantee You, and him, that he never uses those tires to their potential

#9 ·
road noise, wear ratings, grip in dry vs wet conditions, grip characteristics of the tire compound, comfort,

and yes, brand names are expensive

just remember, the more expensive the tire, the less likely You are to use them. I've got a buddy with PS2s on his car, refuses to buy anything but. I guarantee You, and him, that he never uses those tires to their potential
I think your buddy is one of the exceptions, in my opinion.

Most of the people I know, myself included, pay more for good tires because we want the better performance out of the tire one way or another. I don't think that just because if I were to buy PS2's, that I wouldn't drive on it like I would Nexen tires for example. If anything, I could see more expensive and better performing tires make you want to drive harder.

#6 ·
Cheaper tires may have less grip so you'll see DSC light come on more often or have less grip at the limit. They may not last as long, etc. etc.

I've tried both expensive & cheaper tires -- I noticed the difference on a long sweeping curve on my daily commute.
At 80mph my cheaper Yokohama AVS tires would lose grip and trigger DSC, while Michelin Pilot PS2 would grip and no DSC.

Depending on your driving style they may be fine -- if you don't have a prob with 'em, then don't sweat it.

#7 ·
Also be aware that most tire manufacturers make a combination of good and bad tires.

Don't rely just on the name alone. Look into reviews and if possible talk to people that have the same car as you and have similar driving habits.

Even Michelin makes some piss poor tires and General (a looked down upon 'cheap' brand) makes a pretty highly regarded 'budget' tire.

#10 ·
um tires dont make anyone drive harder... that logic doesnt really make sense.

tread pattern, tread life, tire composition and of course marketing is the difference between cheap and expensive tires...

this translates to road noise, drive comfort and of course mileage per tireset, not to mention wet/dry pavement performance and speed rating. g/l

#11 ·
I drive my car kinda hard on occasions. If you ever do go from low end budget tires to high end summer tires, you will notice a significant difference in how the car handles.

When I got my car it came with some cheapo all season tires. I actually managed to spin my car out going around a damp turn. Not to mention they were kinda noisy. Then I got some Michelin Pilot Sports and the difference was incredible. I can go around the same turn in my that I spun out on at the same speed and nothing happens at all and the car comfortably corners with just some light tire squeeling. Also the ride is a little quieter, which was an unexpected bonus. This is enough to convince me to stick to the higher rated and more expensive tires.

Some of the larger companies like Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Pirelli, and others do a lot of research in developing their tires. This is where some of the extra price comes in. And then, like everyone else says, the big companies can also put on a premium because of their name and reputation.

Like most things, the more you pay, the more or better features you get.

#12 ·
I guess it's just like with clothing:

The materials used are different (Tire companies invest loads of cash into the development of rubber mixtures)
The profile is different (Again, lots of development. Much like the design and cut of expensive clothes)
And lastly, the name itself (You won't see Pirellis sell for less than Generals, just like HUGO Boss would cost less than H&M ware)

#13 ·
just to be clear, tires are the only part of your car that touches the ground. read that closely. a roughly post card size patch of each tire is all that keeps you from sliding off the road, determines to a degree how well your brakes work, etc. so, while yes a brand name does affect pricing, the technology and R&D involved in producing a high quality tire are also part of the cost. at no point on this car or any other would i ever cheap out on tires. but, that does not mean you have to buy the most expensive tire because that means you can assume its the best. do your research on things like wear rates, traction, road noise, compounds, sidewall flex, cold weather traction(if applicable) and determine which are most important. then, buy the tire that most closely matches your needs. oh yeah, and btw, you dont need a tire that can go 180 since your bimmer never will

#18 ·
If you have a daily driven vehicle, go for Kumho or Sumitomo tires. I know it sounds tacky but I like to keep costs low on a DD w/o sacrificing quality. The quality is great, the ride is quiet and traction is also good.

I drive like a grandma and I keep 15" rims on my car because they are cheap, light weight, cause less suspension/drivetrain stress and give best fuel mileage. Having nice big rims and a lowered car is nice and all, but it's not worth having all that added weight IMO. Imagine how pissed you'd be putting a bubble in the sidewall by hitting a bump/pothole too quickly or denting/cracking up your rims. No fun. But of course, see what everyone else has to say....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.