E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Found a nice 06 330ci ZHP..zhp crew please chime in..

7K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  DTMkarnage 
#1 · (Edited)
So im in the market for a newer ride. Just got tired of shelling out $$$ for older bmw's so its time for an upgrade. I found a 06 330ci zhp with alcantara interior for $15k with 95k miles on the clock. Is this a good deal??..im new to E46's and how reliable are the zhp models??..are there any buyers guides?

See less See more
#4 ·
A little overpriced in my opinion for that many miles. But I dont know how the prices are in your location. Also are you getting any maintenance history?
There are some threads here giving you information on what to look for on an e46 before to buy. PPI is very recommended.
Being an 06(last year of production), all the quirks are rectified so you shouldnt be worried about the recalls and all.
These are reliable cars provided you keep it maintained. Coming from an e36 you should know about these cars. :)

With that amount you might be able to get a year or two older M3. Look in the classified section here.

Good luck.

#10 ·
an '06 is a newer BMW? :confused:

$15,000 is not a good deal. It would have to be immaculate with all options and no wear to be close to that price range. With 95,000 miles I doubt it.
This forum fantasizes about low zhp resale value, but it isn't the case. That seems like a good deal to me!

Alex, you know what he meant. 06 is the newest of the E46s and is a relatively rare year for anything but the M3.

OP, that is a beautiful color and it seems to be a good deal. ZHPs don't really cost any more to maintain than a normal 330.

#5 ·
an '06 is a newer BMW? :confused:

$15,000 is not a good deal. It would have to be immaculate with all options and no wear to be close to that price range. With 95,000 miles I doubt it.

#9 ·
I agree with all the above that say it's too pricey for that many miles. With these cars, maintenance comes in mileage intervals and at nearly 100k, you'll need ~ $2,000 in preventative maintenance done to it the first year or you will have problems. Even if that car has documented proof that EVERYTHING has been done, it's still too pricey (although less so).

#11 ·
Honestly thats not a bad deal! I mean if you can work the dealer down a little that would be great but considering how well taken care of it it is looks beautiful to me very good good shape, I would pull the trigger and just give it a go zhp models rarely come around (atleast for me I never see them forsale in san diego) :thumbup: :)

#27 ·
buying a car from a dealership is best to look on the weekend, then make your offer on the Monday. that Monday is NYE and last day of month and year. they have big incentive to sell before then. if the salesman is off Monday he may even call you back Sunday to deal. but he wants his monthly sales and yearly to look good.

#19 ·
Don't listen to anyone telling you you'll need to put 2000 worth of maintenance into the car. I've owned my 2003 325ci for over a year and I MAYBE put 300 bucks worth of parts into it. If you have to put 2000 worth of labor and parts into any car you shouldn't be buying it!

:) drive it look at it and if you like it make him an offer.

#22 · (Edited)
This is probably because everyone likes to negotiate the price of a car as the buyer. Sellers, especially dealers, tend to list cars at a premium to allow wiggle room in the price.

That being said, this car is at a dealership and it is overpriced. I too know the struggles of finding a ZHP, I looked for 2-3 months. If this ZHP was the exact package the OP was looking for and had a good maintenance history, I might say it was worth close to 15,000. Even then, I'm sure the dealer will coming down slightly.

#23 ·
OP, price is slightly on the higher end... 2k less and id go for it considering its 06.

I purchased my 330 with 95k miles and I've put into it close to $1K since May on parts only. If you can do all your work yourself then this car can last you quite a while.

$2K of parts could get you quite far if you look for deals here in classifieds and bargains on line. Probably almost everything essential you will need for next 5+ years. The expenses add up if you need to pay for the work done....

I think its worth the 13-14k as long as its clean and well taken care of.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

#25 ·
At 100k miles... it'll need some work in the next few years. between 100-130k miles (where i'm currently at) I've spent the most on the car to keep it running.
Wheel Bearings
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Filter housing gasket
Cooling system overhaul (again... I should have replaced the entire system when it started breaking at 80k miles).
new Clutch
control arms

#26 ·
price

I think the price a tad high but in the ballpark. Justified or not the ZHP package does bring the cost up in terms of purchase. In terms of ownership costs it shouldn't be any different than any non-M E46. I knowingly (and reluctantly)overpaid somewhat for my recently purchased 6MT '04 sedan with a ZHP package but it only had 52K on it and I plan to keep it a while. Furthermore, I didn't have to travel to get it and that cost is easily overlooked. Finding exactly what I wanted here in Albuquerque was unlikely at best and was probably worth $1500 in travel and 2 days of leave from work. I think the biggest thing to consider regarding price is how long you plan to keep it. (within reason of course) Two things of caution I will pass along as a newer E46 owner- I'm struggling to get the kind of mileage I should be getting and if you desire an LSD be aware that there are not the cheap and easy options for these cars that there are for your 635 -or my
E30. I still really like the car but this last point is a bit of a bummer for me.
Be sure to check the strut towers for crowning. They can be fixed but you should negotiate the price if they need it.

#34 · (Edited)
I spent 16,500 a month ago for a 1 owner 65k miles 05 ZHP Coupe with my exact dream options. had looked at a dozen, walked up to this one and paid the man. There was a line waiting behind me if i didnt. If its the car you want who cares what we all think. I did notice all the Alcantra interiors seemed to show more wear. They will all need brakes, LCABs and interior A and B trim work. Listen for odd noises like when turning the power steering at idle.

If you know how to turn wrenches and you are good at it and you do your research on sites like this you couldn't spend $2k / year unless you had some bigger oopsies. If you are buying retail maintenance, perhaps so.

#35 ·
Way over priced especially given the mileage. You could get an M3 for that price with similar mileage.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

#36 ·
...says the guy who was only willing to spend 10K for a ZHP...

The coupe costs more than the sedan for starters. This car has every option except Navigation....the asking price is not 'way over priced'

Find me an M3 for 15K that is close to a 2006 with similar options, miles, and condition to this car...

#42 ·
$2,000 a year? Where did you get that number?

#60 · (Edited)
Ditto

Though I guess if you include consumables, such as tires and brakes, maybe? New set of tires say around $700, plus $600 for brakes, but you do those maybe every 2-3 years depending on much you drive a year.

Factor in about 2 to 3 oil changes a year at $80 a pop (assuming you don't DIY), and maybe a failed window regulator, a leaking gasket, etc. Maybe?

My E90 so far in two years and 30,000 miles of driving has cost me....

- New Tires (Ditched the crappy run flats) $700
- One Coil $54
- Major Service w/ Oil Change $254
- Rear Rotors, Pads, Sensor $300
- Just Oil Change x2 $140

That's just under $1500 for 30,000 miles of driving, which is pretty decent. Though only issue was one bad coil up to this point, knock on wood (knocking on the whole tree actually).

#46 ·
Thank you. At least someone agrees with me lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.