E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Any one ever clean the boot of their ignition coil?

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  scottjoh 
#1 ·
Just ordered a set of slightly used ignition coils for my car. Was wondering if I should clean it before installing it. Any particular solution/fluid I should use?

#3 · (Edited)
I would get a new set of boots. They're pretty cheap
I was scared someone was going to suggest this. Actually I was only planning on running on these coils till the end of the year. I'm at 93k miles now, and I have a new set of ignition coils on my 100k to do list. I actually bought these 6 coils from a wrecked 325i for $50 bucks.

#7 ·
That's the plan. But I'm planning on making a huge purchase from my supplier in a few months for my 100k maintenance so I haven't purchase new coils yet. Saving that for my large purchase for some extra discounts.

#9 · (Edited)
Buy new ones! I had misfiring at around 70k miles and it was the because of the boot. Just because they look like new doesn't mean they're not going to fail. Mine looked great, but, there was a tiny arc trail that went up the plug, under the boot to the high voltage side. The boot was suppose to prevent that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.