E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Working SMG paddle shift steering wheel in steptronic DIY

72K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  MSpeedAddict 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know someone did it before (even though I couldn't find detailed pictures so I did a little write up on it.)

Parts needed:

Smg steering wheel
Sport air bag (if your car didn't come with it)
New updated e46 clock spring part number: 61318379091
2 pin connector part number: 61136925634
2 pins part number: 61130005197
About 2 feet of wire

Tools needed:

Phillips head screw driver
16mm socket
breaker bar or decently long ratchet
small flat head screw driver

I started off with my retrofitted e90 sport wheel:

Start at the shift knob, put the vehicle in neutral (parking brake on) and pull up on the shift knob (it takes some damn strength, don't hit yourself in the face with it lol). Then pull up on the shift boot and it should come up along with the black shifter surrounding piece. Be careful not to yank it hard as there are some connectors that have to be disconnected. Disconnect the 3 connectors that are connected to the black shifter trim and remove the shift boot and shifter trim.

You will be left with this

Remove the 2 screws at the back of the window switch trim as you see in the picture above. Slide the trim with the window switches back and up. Disconnect the connectors for the window switches and remove the trim.

Now remove the storage compartment and ash tray. Open the upper storage tray and just pull it out, its just held in with tabs.

Behind that is 2 screws holding the whole storage console to the dash as seen in this picture, remove them:

Turn the key on (don't start the car) and put the shifter in neutral if its not already in neutral. Slide the bottom of the storage console out first followed by the top. Disconnect the connectors on the lighter socket and the connectors on the dsc button and any other buttons you have. Remove storage console.

The red connector in this picture is the one we will be using to tap into for the paddle shifters.

Here is where I did some testing on the wires figuring out which wire was what.

Here is what I found:

On the harness side of the connector wires are as follows,

Green/white: Sport mode signal. When grounded vehicle is put in sport mode.

Brown/black: Constant ground

Blue/yellow: Downshift signal, when grounded in sport mode vehicle downshifts

Blue/purple: Upshift signal, when grounded in sport mode vehicle upshifts

You can match up the colors on the shifter side of the connector if you are tapping in there, but I found it easier to do it on the harness side.

Now to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Disconnect the battery.

This is where people have trouble removing the air bag.

Slide the small flat head into the slot on the back of the steering wheel:

this it the angle you need to work at:

If you have it angled right, when you push in on it, you will have springing tension against your screwdriver.
This is what you are pushing on with your screw driver:

If you look closely in the picture in the circle piece in the metal you can see where my small screw driver is pushing against the spring and this is what you want to happen. That picture is with the spring compressed. Do this on one side and pop that side of the air bag out then repeat on the opposite side. Then disconnect both air bag connectors.

See less See more
#42 · (Edited)
Your slip ring most likely doesn't have two pins for paddle shift (neither 330ci has them, at least my 2001 didn't). You need a slip ring from e46 M3 SMG, p/n 61318379091. However, as far as I remember some 61318379091 may have those pins and some may not, so you need to clarify this before purchasing.

#59 ·
so you didnt even need to make a wireing harness you just use the 2pins from the new clock spring and taped into the tipronic harness right ,coz in another write up somone has made a wire harness thats where i was confused after reading your write up this looks easy,that is if you only used the 2 wires from the clock spring and tapeds into the steptronic..... very clever

#63 ·
ok i have installed it all now, but the problem is the slip ring has come apart and i need to buy another one but i have put everything back together now and the air bag light wont turn off even if i have a airbag modual
which will turn air bag light s off i have centred the steering wheel too could it be the broken slip ring ,dose anyone have one for sale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.