E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Project: Dyeing dove grey interior to imola red & black

329K views 302 replies 129 participants last post by  Non-Affiliated 
#1 ·
So lately, I have been toying with the idea of changing my interior color from dove grey to Black and Imola Red combination. I was trying to decide between the cinnamon and imola but with my car being TIAG, I do not think cinnamon would work out. I know this will be a long process and I have gathered information from reading other members' threads about dyeing their interiors to different colors. I spoke with Khristie from leatherique and tried to get as much information about dyeing the interior and making sure that the dye colors that they are about to send me will match the OEM BMW color since I read somewhere about this guy who was going to do an imola red dye but then decided to go with cinnamon instead since he was told that the red dye that he wanted did not have enough red pigments due to goverment EPA restriction stuff. I asked Khristie about that and she told me that what they meant was that they could not match the deep red interiors that some other cars have but luckily for us, they have the exact BMW OEM Imola red color. So long story short, I decided to go ahead and do this dreadful project. It will take time and I will try my best to be as detailed as possible updating you guys.

I purchased the KIT #4 (48 oz of dye, 32 oz Rejuvinator Oil, 32 oz Prestine Clean and 32 oz Prepping Agent) and 1/2 oz of Crack Filler with the Imola Red Custom Color)
and also a quart of BMW OEM Black Matt finish for the plastic pieces etc.

Acrylic brushes from a hobby store...
Air brush kit and a small compressor from home depot...

I plan to start taking out the door panels and front/rear seats this saturday and start prepping them.

WISH ME LUCK!

See less See more
Reactions: Charlie1891
#195 ·
I am speechless. I thought I had OCD when I do stuff but man you take the cake. I have so much appreciation for your attention to detail, just phenomenal man.

Couple questions:

1. How come 2 different kinds of black dyes were used? One from a spray can and one liquid one. For the rest of the parts (plastics on seats, etc) was it the spray can one or liquid mix in spray bottle used?
2. The imola dye worked correctly on the rear panel speaker grills?
3. How come center console wasn't dyed but instead repurchased?
4. Did you notice the dye come off at all on your clothes?
5. How are the leather panels in the doorcards held in? I didn't even know they could be removed! (were plastic welds cut and rewelded?)

#196 ·
Thanks man!
To answer your questions:

1. I was waiting for the dye to be shipped but we already started to disassmble the car so I used the spray duplicolor at first but I wanted to be consistent since I was using the black leatherique dye ob the dash. I wanted it to be the same all around.

2. Yes... The dye worked great on the rear circular speakers as well as the SRS airbag tabs for the front door panels.

3. I wanted to get an arm rest delete console so I just purchased one...

4. If you read the thread... I had a friend visit me and he swore that there was no dye that rubbed off on any of our clothes. I still drive the car now and I do not get any dye on my clothes. Prep is key and lots of patience.

5. Again, please read my thread... it is very detailed and you will see every step that I took to disassemble everything. Goodluck!

#205 ·
Salamat pare!:thanks:

So any other projects planned?
Exterior mods... Just purchased Vorsteiner pieces ( CSL Trunk, CSL Rear Diffuser, and CSL Front Bumper with 1 piece lip)

It looks great, due in no small part to your excellent work. I'll be looking forward to your updates on the durability.

It's REALLY made me appreciate my Imola interior even more. Great job.
Thanks man! I will for sure post updates on the wear and tear come spring time if there will be any.

Great attention to detail! Love this thread for looking to do mine shortly. Thanks for posting!
Thanks! Goodluck man!

Don't care much for the color scheme personally, but I'll give you props for doing what appears to be a high quality job.
Thanks!

Car looks amazing man! Just wanted to know where did you get your carbon fiber trim? Did you wrap them or did they come like that? Thanks
Thank you! I wrapped it with 3M Dinoc about a year ago. holding up real good!

Hi Original Poster, really like the job you done on the interior.

Question how long does that dye last on the leather? Would you expect it to last for maybe 4-5 years? Was thinking of doing this to mine!
I just spoke to Leatherique and with proper care, It would last for about 6 years. Cleaning it, they told me to use just their product pristine clean to wipe it down. They told me to apply wax that has a high carnuba content to protect it a year after I dyed it.

wow...unbelievable. It looks really good. how well is it holding-up? great I hope!
It's been holding up pretty good. It has been 4 months now and still no wear or tear.

#211 ·
Thanks Charlie! See you this weekend! ARC 8's baby!!! Wohoo!!!

Great job

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
:thumbsup:

Very very well done. This thread just convinced me to restore my IR interior. Sending you a PM about the dye you used.
Just pm'ed you now... Been sooopah busy!

Amazing kid :clap:
:thumbsup:

I m speechless Boss. You know this makes me wonder, whats your PROFESSION in life??? I m an Accountant myself but the way you did this job tells me u are not an ordinary man, either you have some background on painting or art, just something. I m a big risk taker but this is BEYOND my capability, i thought of trying this and i immediately developed some goose bumps. ha ha. Cant wait to see what u do next
I have my degree in Fine Arts which probably helped me tackle this project plus I am very picky with things and I want everything to be perfect. Thanks man!:thumbsup:

#210 ·
I m speechless Boss. You know this makes me wonder, whats your PROFESSION in life??? I m an Accountant myself but the way you did this job tells me u are not an ordinary man, either you have some background on painting or art, just something. I m a big risk taker but this is BEYOND my capability, i thought of trying this and i immediately developed some goose bumps. ha ha. Cant wait to see what u do next

#212 ·
I will be taking photos of my interior this weekend to update you guys on the condition of my dyed interior. I am very pleased with it and up to now, no rubbing off, tear, scratch or anything but I will let you guys decide... Photos will explain it better! Stay tuned!

#217 ·
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Look man, i know you are not in the busineess of interior upholtery, BUT is it possible to put a price tag on the job that u have just done??? If the price is reasonable i believe some BMW fanatics may consider giving you the job. Not that u want their money, helping them for the love of BMW. If we dont encourage such nice projects the E46 will face extinction i tell u.
I would love to help fellow members out but with our first child on the way, I know that I will be very busy and pre-occupied with the new born. Maybe in the future...:craig:

As for Brian's interior, I will be taking a personal look this Saturday and can say that I expect to see perfection. The last time I rode/drove Brian's car, his interior was perfect with no dye rubbing off onto my jeans. The time and work Brian has placed to this project was nothing short of amazing! :drool: :drool: :drool:

At one point I wanted to do the same exact thing but now I'm leaning on just completing my all black interior instead since I think I will be going a different direction with my ///M. (Recaro Sportster CS seats). :)
Thanks Charlie! Look at you! Baller status with the Recaro Sportster Seats planned!!! :thumbsup:

One of THE best DIY projects I've seen. Amazing job.
Thanks man! :woot:

#214 ·
Look man, i know you are not in the busineess of interior upholtery, BUT is it possible to put a price tag on the job that u have just done??? If the price is reasonable i believe some BMW fanatics may consider giving you the job. Not that u want their money, helping them for the love of BMW. If we dont encourage such nice projects the E46 will face extinction i tell u.

#215 · (Edited)
As for Brian's interior, I will be taking a personal look this Saturday and can say that I expect to see perfection. The last time I rode/drove Brian's car, his interior was perfect with no dye rubbing off onto my jeans. The time and work Brian has placed to this project was nothing short of amazing! :drool: :drool: :drool:

At one point I wanted to do the same exact thing but now I'm leaning on just completing my all black interior instead since I think I will be going a different direction with my ///M. (Recaro Sportster CS seats). :)

#218 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.