E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Manual Trans Oil Change - Gear Oil or ATF?

33K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Tom Busby 
#1 ·
My 2001 330Ci is getting notchy when shifting into 3rd, the synchro is probably getting worn. I'm planning to change the transmission oil to see if this helps.

The transmission sticker says use BMW MTF-LT1. Some Internet forum articles say to use gear oil (Royal Purple Synthetic), others say to use Redline D4 ATF. Which one is correct?

#3 ·
KP said:
both are fine to use. However, some people have detected leaks using the Redline, and premature degradation with the fluid (going sour after 15k-ish miles).
I've always used the LT-1, while it isn't cheap by any means.
I changed the oil on Sunday with Royal Purple Sychromax, the notchy shifting is gone. This is good stuff!

The previous owner swapped the factory oil with Redline about 15k miles ago, hmmm.

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
If the royal purple loses the smoothness that fast, then what should we use when replacing this fluid? I'm not looking to race my car at this point, just want it to stop notching from first to second so bad when cold and from second to third just about all the time. Would the MTF-LT2 be a better solution? Thanks.

#6 ·
I Put AMZoil ATF in it. BMW needs Dexron III so get ATF that has it and Amzoil ATF has great results at low temps compare to others.

I had the cold problem and now it is gone with the AMZoil ATF, the notchy feeling is a bit better.

My car is also a 2001 325Ci and only has 46000km and you should of seen the grade and colour of the tranny and diff fluids....OMG...I would change them both every 50000Km or every 2 years...it is a must.

Oh, and I put RP Max Gear 75W90 in the diff and it made the biggest improvement in the feel of shift and gear transition.

#10 ·
spewny said:
If the royal purple loses the smoothness that fast, then what should we use when replacing this fluid? I'm not looking to race my car at this point, just want it to stop notching from first to second so bad when cold and from second to third just about all the time. Would the MTF-LT2 be a better solution? Thanks.
MTF-LT2 is probably the best solution but cost is an issue. I hear it is only available from BMW in 5 liter containers that cost $100. I'd rather replace the oil yearly with Royal Purple.

#11 ·
Gear 75/90 or close..Royal Purple Preferred

SSR330Ci said:
My 2001 330Ci is getting notchy when shifting into 3rd, the synchro is probably getting worn. I'm planning to change the transmission oil to see if this helps.

The transmission sticker says use BMW MTF-LT1. Some Internet forum articles say to use gear oil (Royal Purple Synthetic), others say to use Redline D4 ATF. Which one is correct?

I am a big RP fan from their early days. My 2001 330Ci was all notchy, especially when cold. I put in Royal Purple and the shifting has been perfect ever since...do the change ASAP...don't let BMW's stupid oil change intervals screw you...none in the case of the manual

Mike

#12 ·
Mike931 said:

I am a big RP fan from their early days. My 2001 330Ci was all notchy, especially when cold. I put in Royal Purple and the shifting has been perfect ever since...do the change ASAP...don't let BMW's stupid oil change intervals screw you...none in the case of the manual

Mike
I also have 10,000 miles on my Max Gear 75/90 and it is still perfect. I would only change it now for the fun of it...

#13 ·
#14 ·
It doesn't loose all the smoothness, it is still much better than the stock oil IMO, but the absolute silkiness you experience in the first few weeks wears off.
spewny said:

#17 ·
M3WannaBEE said:
Were can I purchase Royal Purple and what kind should I get, also how hard is it to change my own tranny fluid?

thanxs
RP's web site can help you find a local dealer, see http://www.synerlec.com/dealers/dealers.html

The only place I've consistently found RP is at the NAPA auto parts warehouse, it has a retail parts counter. The local NAPA stores get their parts from this warehouse.

Changing the tranny oil is easy if you have the right tools, see http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_rp_tranny_fluid.shtml

#19 ·
Mike Miller, writer of the "Tech Talk" column in the BMWnsCCA mag "Roundel," has an article on this very subject in this month's issue. He recommends either Redline D4ATF OR Redline MTL (manual tranny lube).

I used MTL in my E30's tranny and had no problems. I currently am running Redline D4ATF in my '01 330Ci (currently undergoing major body repairs!!). The shifting is smoother than the OEM stuff and the smoothness lasts. I change it once a year, in the spring.

#23 ·
Last week I put in some Lubrication Engineer's ATF in my '01 325i 5-speed. I wanted to try LE's 700 non-synthetic ATF. They make a lighter synthetic ATF called 1150 also, but I decided the non-synthetic ATF would be best. LE appears to be a great company, went to the Moon, etc. GM uses their "monoblock" gear oil when a customer complains about noise from the rear differential.

The cold-running shifts are the same. The hot-running shifts are lighter and smoother, especially the 4-5 shift.

I have tried synthetic AmsOil, Valvoline, Mobil 1, and non-synthetic Havoline ATF, all in a '98 6-speed GM transmission that now has about 105,000 miles. The ordinary ATF was and is the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.